I have a request of this section...

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

amblin
Zombie Spanger
Zombie Spanger

I have a request of this section...

Post by amblin »

Last edited by amblin on May 6th, 2014, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I considered this while thinking about a zombie post. I've read a few good zombie books and graphic novels that I was going to mention.
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Re: I have a request of this section...

Post by Lateralus »

amblin wrote:This is entertainment yah? Where's the book icon? Why aren't books mentioned in the tagline?

I find almost all the books I read far more engrossing and entertaining than the TV I watch, films I see and music I hear.

Could we please add books?

Then maybe you buggers can help expand my mind - I do have a tendency to get stuck on series, genres and authors. My bookshelf supports that statement with its 30 Pratchett novels, 8 Banks books and various others.

This was an appeal on behalf of the National Reading Campaign.

Good idea! I love reading, and generally get far more engrossed in books than I do any other media. I'm also a series-whore, and once I've started a series, I have to finish it. I went through all the Terry Pratchet books for the first time last year, and loved them. A few years ago I went through a Tom Clancy phase, and another recent one was Tom Sharpe.
Fear
Zombie
Zombie

Post by Fear »

Yes books is good, tho I am very much a factual reader. Don't really do fiction in paper form.

Anhamgrimmar
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by Anhamgrimmar »

if you like the spacey type stuff of mr banks, i would also reccomend two series of books by peter hamilton:

The Nights Dawn Trilogy, which consists of:
The Reality Dysfunction
The Neutronium Alchemist
The Naked God

and then a couple of books (cant remember what the series was called)
Judas Unchained
Pandoras Star

i've only ever read a couple of the culture novels, so cant really compare the two authors.

also recommended:
anything by neal stephenson (i consider Snow Crash a must read)
the Dune series of books (frank herbet, and his son)
most books by william gibson.
Most books written by Harry Turtledove (he's an alternative history author, writes what ifs mainly, if england held on to the colonies during the war for independence)

as an aside, i have a lot of e-books on my hard drive, i can try to uplaod them to the downloads section. most of the lovecraft books, most of the anne mcaffry books, lots of other random stuff
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

Ooooh, Dune. Thats another series I've got all the books of, including the prequels. I liked it a lot.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I really struggled with Dune. I might just have been too young for it (about 14 I think), although I read LOTR when I was about 10.
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

Yep, bloody good idea!

I'll get to work on an icon and change the forum description.

EDIT : :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Damn my fellow admins and their organisation skills
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:I really struggled with Dune. I might just have been too young for it (about 14 I think), although I read LOTR when I was about 10.

I read LOTR when I was about 10 too. I would evangelise for fucking hours on the Dune series, but I shall try to keep it brief: The original series (by the dad) starts off good, gets a bit dull and hard work in the middle, then ends utterly brilliant. Its worth the slog of the middle book, believe me. The newer books (by the son) are less good, but still worth reading. Very different style, and although they are not quite of the high quality, they are also a bit of an easier read.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I read the first Dune book and thought it was brilliant. My parents bought me all the other ones but failed to get beyond the first few chapters of the second book, as I got bored and there's so many other books to read.

Also, having read the book after watching the film I also think the film is brilliant, for lots of different reasons. Does the book really not have the sound weapons, I read recently that it didn't? I don't really remember the details of the book but thought it was a very good feature in the film.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

spoodie wrote:Also, having read the book after watching the film I also think the film is brilliant, for lots of different reasons.

I also love the film (though I prefer the book naturally). Joose, on the other hand, is about to hunt us down remove all the bones from our bodies.

The sound weapons don't feature in the book (the first one anyway, never bothered with t'others).
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Dune.

By "film" please tell me you mean the miniseries, not the one with Sting. :cry:
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

FatherJack wrote:Dune.

By "film" please tell me you mean the miniseries, not the one with Sting. :cry:

No, they mean the one with Sting. I have come to the conclusion that they are wrong in the head, and must be treted with the kind of horrified sympathy you would treat other mentaly disturbed individuals; like kleptomaniacs or paedophiles.
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

Joose wrote:
No, they mean the one with Sting. I have come to the conclusion that they are wrong in the head, and must be treted with the kind of horrified sympathy you would treat other mentaly disturbed individuals; like kleptomaniacs or paedophiles.

What about someone who steals the Dune DVD and horses a kidnapped child to watch it?
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

FatherJack wrote:By "film" please tell me you mean the miniseries, not the one with Sting. :cry:

I tried watching the mini-series and got bored rather quickly. The Baron didn't compare to David Lynch's and it was all too colourful and nice. Maybe saying the film is brilliant is a stretch, it was brilliant back when I first saw it and I still enjoy watching it now but I accept that it's flawed.

pffft! Homoerotic photo gallery: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0087182/photogallery
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I have to say, whatever else you might think of the film, Baron Harkonnen was brilliant. I remember thinking he was the most disgusting human being I had ever laid eyes on when I was a kid.
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

I must confess to not being aware of the mini-series. When was it made? Is it freely available, as it were? :sweep: :)
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:I have to say, whatever else you might think of the film, Baron Harkonnen was brilliant. I remember thinking he was the most disgusting human being I had ever laid eyes on when I was a kid.

Actually, I'll give you that. The Baron was spot on.

I can honestly say that theres no other part of it I thought was good though. Even after taking into acount the fanboy-factor.