Cube - Trilogy

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Cube - Trilogy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

I can only speak for the first 2 films (I have the third recorded last night but haven't watched it yet), but I was pleasantly suprised at how good these low budget sci fi films were.

The first (and definitely the lowest budget) film is
Cube (1997)

Six different people, each from a very different walk of life, awaken to find themselves inside a giant cube with thousands of possible rooms. Each has a skill that becomes clear when they must band together to get out: a cop, a math whiz, a building designer, a doctor, an escape master, and a disabled man. Each plays a part in their thrilling quest to find answers as to why they've been imprisoned.

The second film is Cube 2: Hypercube (2002)

Eight strangers find themselves waking up in a strange cube-shaped room with no recollection of how they came to be there. Soon discovering that they're in a strange fourth dimension where our laws of physics don't apply, they have to unravel the secrets of the "hypercube" in order to survive...

The third film (which I can't comment on yet) is Cube Zero (2004)

A young man whose job is to watch over the Cube endeavours to rescue an innocent woman trapped in one of its rooms.

As you can probably tell, the plot is very simple in these films, and basically people wake up in a giant cube, having no idea why they are there, or how to get out.
What this film is really about is the mind games and puzzle solving these random people have to do, in order to work together to get out.
I wouldn't say these films were worth buying, but renting or sweeping is a definite must, and let me know what you think, as they are certainly different to anything else I've seen recently (apart from Saw/2/3 which uses the same concept)

Overall I give the movie series :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starempty: :starempty: :starempty:
Last edited by Woo Elephant Yeah on November 7th, 2006, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
Duke of Ted
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Duke of Ted »

The original Cube is one of my favorite sci-fi's of all time.
Personally, i thought the two sequals were a bit wank. But you have to love the ingenious ways that people die in all 3 films.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I've seen all three and enjoyed them, here's my impression:

1 = Dark and disturbing, excellent.
2 = Trying to be more accessible and not as good because of it.
3 = Er .. a bit like a TV movie, not that great but an interesting continuation of the story.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

spoodie wrote:I've seen all three and enjoyed them, here's my impression:

3 = Er .. a bit like a TV movie, not that great but an interesting continuation of the story.

Hit the nail on the head there. I can't add anything to this.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Dog Pants wrote:Hit the nail on the head there. I can't add anything to this.

Do I "win the prize"? :)

The images up there are broken. :above:
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Damn IMDB for stopping remote linked images :x
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

spoodie wrote:I've seen all three and enjoyed them, here's my impression:

:above: This, hard. I'm glad I watched them all but would probably only go back to rewatch the first.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I saw the first and liked it but thought the second was a bit of a stretch - "let's uh, make it more cubular!". There was a very nice lady in one of them, but I can't remember which.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

FatherJack wrote:There was a very nice lady in one of them, but I can't remember which.

This lady?: http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0558182/
She looks a bit like a witch in the first photo though.
Fear
Zombie
Zombie

Post by Fear »

spoodie wrote:This lady?: http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0558182/
She looks a bit like a witch in the first photo though.

That's Underlay's wife in Invasion...

Or was, as they nuked it and chose Prison Break instead. Invasion was good enough to keep going as well. Never do understand American broadcasters, always fly in the face of ratings and popularity...
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

I finally watched the third film of this series, and I have to agree, it's the worst one of the three, allthough it was interesting that you know who ended up being you know who from one of the previous films.