5punk Review Summary

Console/PC game reviews by 5punkers

Moderator: Forum Moderators

friznit
Heavy
Heavy

5punk Review Summary

Post by friznit »

Twatting around instead of working. Thought it might be fun to list all the 5punky most anticipated games and our final verdicts on them. In brief.

In no particular order (well, in the order that they appear in this forum since the beginning of 08 ish):

COD4: Win. Lots of 5punky MP fun.
Space Empires 4: Fail. See: Sins
PotBS: Fail
Mass Effect: Win. Once or twice is enough though.
Sins of a Solar Empire: Win. Wears off after a week though.
Call of Cthulhu: Win? I think, never played it though.
UT3/4: Fail. Didn't manage to replace COD.
AoC: Fail
Spore: Fail. Get's boring after the initial novelty wears off
Clear Sky: Win, but harder than a pensioner's turd.
Warhammer Online: Everyone went back to WoW (bar 2 or 3 who got stuck looking for the quit button)
Fallout 3: Win.
Left4Dead: Win. Classic 5punky fun.

Coming soon...

COD5:
Farcry 2:
Empire Total War:
Last edited by friznit on February 9th, 2009, 14:34, edited 4 times in total.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Clear sky: good so far, but harder than Putin

Waiting on

Farcry 2
CoD 5

Both likely to suck, but both have flamethrowers, so it's difficult to call.

UT3 didn't get much of a Chance, no fuckers bought it.

UT04 was fun, but none of us can handle it for more than 90 minutes.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

I'd call possible suck on cod5, but far cry looks to be pretty solid and ubisoft aren't too bad at fixing bugs quickly, even to the extent that they'll use an illegal crack. :lol:

I'm scared now, I've watched fallout 3 game play and the voice actors are from oblivion, including the cupcake who played jauffre/lachance. The exploding bodies looks a bit shit, I know that sounds weird, but every fucking weapon ever makes the bodies explode like garry glitters nut butter on a small thai. I think my hype has reached so far that now I'm de-hyping it as a self protection feature, which is good.

UT3 is veh shineh, but delivers nothing new, and hasn't got the silly levels of mods with it that ut2k4 has. I think it's just you that wants empire:total war. :lol:
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I've seen very, very little of Fallout 3 and I intend to keep it like that until the case is nestled lovingly in my hands.

Far Cry 2 looks good, but who knows. See fuck all of CoD 5 other than the name so I can't really form a proper opinion.

Spore. My interest waned in this several months before release - partly from over-hype and partly from delays. Having played it now I am really enjoying it, but I have serious doubts about the replay value. Initially played as a carnivore and had great fun eating everything in sight - played it again as a herbivore and got seriously sick to death of trying to impress other creatures by fucking dancing. The same dance, over and over (sod charm and pose because it's more of the same), and with no real indication of what your chances of impressing someone are (with carnivores it's easy - much higher health = less chance of killing them).

Also I am quite disappointed with the space stage. Maybe I'm "doin it rong". Whenever I attack somewhere it's my one little ship (maybe an ally too if I haven't pissed off the entire galaxy) against an entire planet. Similarly whenever I have to defend my defences are useless, I can't afford to upgrade, and it's my one little ship (maybe an ally too if I haven't pissed off the entire galaxy) against a shit ton of attacking enemies.

I seriously spent all my time in space hopping from one system to the next trying to fend off attackers. This may be because my carnivore space dude is an aggressive expansionist, but I've only managed to attack one planet.

Maybe my herbivore will have more success in space (as long as I don't have to do any more fucking dancing).
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Call of Cthulhu was mostly win, but not many 5punkers went for it so I'm not sure how that pans out in the grand scheme of things.
Also;

Left4Dead:
Warhammer Online:
Hehulk
KHAAAN!
KHAAAN!

Post by Hehulk »

Dog Pants wrote:Warhammer Online:
:lol: GOA

Otherwise no opinion, I've still not been able to register to kick my beta code in yet
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Hehulk
KHAAAN!
KHAAAN!

Post by Hehulk »

Na, french software distribution company. Can't seem to find their website though
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

That's because they're too shit to have one.

For anyone not knowing but caring super basic update - mythic granted GOA the EU server stuff as well as some distro. EA fly in and throw money about, his leads to loads of incentives for everyone except GOA customers (possibly).

EA online europe customers 'may' get the deals they advertised, such as entry into the beta on advance orders of a CE (not certain) , but they might not because there isn't EU servers yet because either no one has told GOA, or GOA are still really shit and haven't got the servers up in time (quite likely).

Basically, Europe is getting raped because a small crappy company has been given the keys to the board room, but isn't allowed to pull up a chair to the big boys table.