LoTRO info, for those that want it

Massively Mongy Online gaming. Bum your way through the internet public.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Maybe they forgot a decimal point.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Dog Pants wrote:Maybe they forgot a decimal point.

it finished at like 907%
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

IT's OVER NINE...hundred!
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

:lol:
Hehulk
KHAAAN!
KHAAAN!

Post by Hehulk »

Bandwaggoning ITT

*Downloads
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Hehulk wrote:ITT

WTFAYBOA?
Wiggy
5pork
5pork

Post by Wiggy »

Dog Pants wrote:
WTFAYBOA?

ITT = In this thread. It's a 4chan thing.
Wiggy
5pork
5pork

Post by Wiggy »

Right, I'm gonna make a thread for character names etc. Please post stuff in there.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Classes then, how do they play? Are they all soloable? Which ones are complicated (I can never be bothered with loads of complicated spell combinations)?

There seems to be loads of combat types so I was thinking of going in a different direction for once, but I don't want to put loads of effort into, say, a burglar and then decide I hate it because it dies all the time solo.
Sheriff Fatman
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Sheriff Fatman »

Dog Pants wrote:Classes then, how do they play? Are they all soloable? Which ones are complicated (I can never be bothered with loads of complicated spell combinations)?

There seems to be loads of combat types so I was thinking of going in a different direction for once, but I don't want to put loads of effort into, say, a burglar and then decide I hate it because it dies all the time solo.

Most of the classes are fairly straightforward. The only tricky one is the Minstrel. Most of his abilities use the lute to play a song and many of the higher level ones require you play a few lower level ones first to "open up" the ability you actually want to use. It's not really that hard, but does require a bit of practice. I struggle for a bit when I go back to mine after not playing him for a while. That said, they are a pretty potent class and always in demand.

The Hunter is probably the easy to play, joint point and shoot. Because of that though that are absolutely fucking loads of them.

The Burg is quite tough solo, you have to be stealthed to be effective and setting up a mob can be time-consuming. When you have a collect 400 bears arses quest it can get a bit tiresome. They are very good in groups and quite a few of the big dungeons need at least one to make life easier.
Last edited by Sheriff Fatman on July 6th, 2008, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Okay, so how do they actually handle themselves? I play mostly solo, so is there any point in me creating a spellcaster or a burglar?
Sheriff Fatman
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Sheriff Fatman »

My fist character was a Burg - I got to 27 (mostly solo) and haven't touched him since. Now I understand the game better it might be easier but ...

Spellcasters (Lore Masters) are fine solo. They have loads of abilities and get pets.

Champs are fine solo - they are a DPS class though, don't make the mistake of thinking they are tanks.

Guardians are also fine solo. They are the tanks so it takes a while to kill stuff but they are, like Mincers, always in demand.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Groovy. Potential there then, sounds like I can always fall back on the tank if need be, but I always play tanks.

One thing concerning me - why isn't Berk playing it?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Because i'm in the kitchen, cooking.

Also, it hasn't really graped my squildo yet
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Fucking game either locks up my machine as soon as the client connects, or bins me out with a quick BSOD then reset after a few minutes. This doesn't enamour me to it. A quick google shows quite a few other people with the problem, and an endless stream of helpful advice about checking hardware, despite assurances that no other game causes this.
Wiggy
5pork
5pork

Post by Wiggy »

Unstickied due to no-one actually playing this game.
Vershana
Svenno
Svenno

Post by Vershana »

FYI, LOTRO continues to release expansions, most recently Mines of Moria and Seige of Mirkwood, which was voted best expansion of the year by IGN.

Most notably, they've added skirmishes!

Still going strong, and still one of the biggest MMOs around!

FYI!
Sheriff Fatman
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Sheriff Fatman »

This is going free to play in a few months.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/lotro ... ee-to-play
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Interesting. The only real thing that put me off LotRO was that it was a lot like Warcraft, and I was all Warcrafted out. However, for this price it has more appeal.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I hear there's a beta event tomorrow, so I'd guess they're nearing the end of it.

If you've played it before you'll likely have a good idea of what the game is like, and the recent news post that listed what you'll be getting as a free player probably tells you the rest.