spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Battlefield 2 - PC

Post by spoodie »

Battlefield 2 - PC

[some pictures to go here, gonna try using xfire screenshot thing]

Introduction
Battlefield 2 is the third in the series of Battlefield games, the first two being Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam which have/had quite a following in the online PC gaming community. Why is it not called Battlefield 3 then? Marketing I guess, but that doesn’t matter. While the previous games were set in past conflicts, this one is set roughly now, dropping you in the midst of the so-called “war on terror” scenario. As you would expect from the timeframe you’re equipped with modern weapons and tools as well as land and air vehicles, which can make for some varied gameplay albeit mostly within the range of shooting at stuff or blowing it up.

Although there is a single player/offline mode this review will concentrate on the multiplayer/online aspect, as the former is at best redundant. Usually with a new game you would play through the single player mode first and then, once you are more accustomed to the game, go online and test your metal against other players, but not this one. If you’re unfamiliar with the game you will flounder in the offline mode, as you are required from the outset to command several squads of soldiers and navigate vast areas of unfamiliar terrain. My advice would be to go online straight away, join a squad and let someone else do the commanding. It doesn’t matter how rubbish you are you’ll soon learn from following and observing real players.

Gameplay
This is the hardest section to write as depending on which server you’re playing on, with who, as which class, on what map, on what day of the week your game can be quite different.

When you first start the game it appears to be your standard FPS; you have a gun, maybe some grenades or other offensive weapons, when you spot an enemy, you run at them and shoot just like you’ve been doing since Quake or whatever. But you’ll soon discover that this is not the most effective or enjoyable way to play Battlefield 2 as you’ll probably find yourself cut down by multiply enemy targets. The difference with this game (and probably the previous iterations) is that it is designed around team play, more so than any other FPSs that came before it and running alone can be a very dangerous business.

The most fun can be had when you’re in a squad that is sticking together, cooperating and has complimenting classes. For instance you could have squad composed of an Assault troop who provides the offensive element, a Medic who heals and revives downed squad members and also offensive, a Support troop who provides ammo and defence and Anti-Tank or Engineer who can take care of ground vehicles. If the rest of the players on the map aren’t cooperating on the same level there’s a good chance your squad will own the map and soon win the round, which can be very satisfying. Of course the opposite can happen, you can find yourself on a server full of players who think “team” is spelt “IIII” (there is no “I” in “team”, geddit? … never mind). In this case you could explore one of the other tactics, this is where the two remaining classes come in.

The Sniper is fairly obvious and you can get a great deal of enjoyment out of finding a good hiding place and picking off enemy after enemy, until they eventually spot you. Lastly there’s the Special Ops class that is equipped with not only a decent rifle but C4, primarily intended for blowing up the enemy’s tactical installations, like the artillery guns, but can also be put to use blowing up armoured vehicles or sticking to your own vehicle and going on a suicide run.

Of course this are just examples of how you could play, the arenas are so vast and varied there are many options open to you. And I haven’t even covered the vehicles yet, of which there are many, for travelling by land, sea and air. The land and sea vehicles are fairly easy to get to grips with but the aircraft take a little more effort, especially the planes which can cross the huge maps in a matter of a couple of seconds, putting you outside the battle zone which is not a place you want to be as you’ll get shot down.

As far as the basic pointing a gun and shooting aspect goes it’s very solid, both at close and long ranges. Each class’s weapon has its strengths and weaknesses and tweaks are still being made to balance these further.

Finally there are the squad leaders and commander roles, neither of which I’ve spent much time playing as so I wont go into too much detail. What I will say is that with these two positions comes further elements of gameplay; ordering troops around, requesting artillery strikes, supply drops and UAVs which display enemy locations on your map. None of which you need to worry too much about from the outset, just don’t stand in any areas of pulsing red rings on your map.

Sights and Sounds
The most striking thing about Battlefield 2 is the shear scale of the game arenas, they are enormous and the best thing is (if you have a good enough PC) the draw distance is virtually unlimited, as a sniper you can spot troops and vehicle from a couple of miles away. The structural detail of the maps is also very impressive, apparently built from a large palette trees, walls, buildings and floors to create towns, swamps, islands, industrial complexes, airports, mountain ranges and so on and so on. The texture quality of all this detail is nice but functional and (if your hardware is up to it) the dynamic shadows/lighting, particle effects, etc. do a good job of prettying-up the environments. The detail on the troops and vehicles is good, not quite as good as other, smaller scale shooters but it does the job and provides enough realism for you to become immersed in the game.

The same goes for the sound, nice but functional for the most part. The concussion effect of being in or near an armoured vehicle when an explosive round strikes it is a nice touch. And I still like the loading screen music, which has a mixture of East and West styles.

Stuff that sucks
This could end up being a long section as there has been much discussion about what’s wrong with this game. The PC gaming community’s ability to whine loudly and incessantly is legend, but I am not going to go over all the little problems this game has had since release. It is true that the retail version is not good, in fact it is very bad, patching is mandatory and will resolve a vast majority of the problems. PC gamers should be used to this and with virtually all players having broadband this is not a real issue. Bugs that remain since the v1.2 update are few and most players wont experience them, at least not often. Personally I think that all the positive aspects of Battlefield 2 vastly outweigh the negative and I believe DICE and EA have done a good job.

The one slightly annoying things that does continue to effect every single game anyone plays is the map loading time, you will get used to it but it’s still a looonnngggg time. And then there’s server browser which you would think would be a fairly simple piece of code, and easy to fix, but God have mercy on your gaming if you try to felcher your list too much … and then there’s the n00bs … and the sniper whores … and the …

Conclusion
Having always been a fan of FPS I’m going to be an easy sell but this one is something quite special. With the solid engine, huge and pretty environments, cool weapons and vehicles combined with some effective teamwork Battlefield 2 gets my vote as the best FPS around at the moment, bar none. There’s also the system of point accumulation for actions you perform in-game, these add up to new ranks for your character and more importantly weapon unlocks. Which can keep you coming back just to add a few more points on to your account towards your next unlock.

Like most online games (maybe more so with this game than many other FPS) the quality of the gaming is down to yourself and the other players. You could be having a bad game, the other members of your team are not squading up or maybe the commander just feels like dropping artillery on to your head, all this can really spoil your enjoyment. But when you and your squad storm capture point after capture point easy dispatching heavy resistance because it’s disorganised this can give you are real swell of pride.

Score : :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starhalf: :starempty:
Last edited by spoodie on March 6th, 2006, 15:52, edited 2 times in total.
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

Having played this for a good few hours now, I'd prety much agree with all of this. However, I did find that it took me a good few hours of gameplay to properly get into it and see what all the fuss is about. Unlike the majority of other FPSs out there, teamwork is what defines this game. As spoodie says, this can make it a very rewarding and enjoyable game, but it can also make it an irritating game at times as well.

Since the object of this game isn't pure team deathmatch style, kill kill kill, I've found that I've spent much less time actually shooting people than in games like COD or CS:S. Whilst CS:S has the objectives of planting bombs or rescuing hostages, more often than not the map is won by killing all of the other team instead. I like the flag capture aspect to the game, although the idea of 'tickets' still hasn't properly clicked for me, but I get the gist of it.

I've taken to playing as a medic a lot in Beef, and quite enjoy the auxillary roles, and it puts some variety into the game since the different character roles lead to quite different styles of play.

Its a good, solid game overall, but I think it would only get a 7.5/8 from me.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Lateralus wrote:I've taken to playing as a medic a lot in Beef, and quite enjoy the auxillary roles, and it puts some variety into the game since the different character roles lead to quite different styles of play.

This is a good idea as it help you build up points more quickly for the unlocks and gets you used to the game without being on the offensive all the time.

Lateralus wrote:Its a good, solid game overall, but I think it would only get a 7.5/8 from me.

I lowered the score a bit which I meant to do but forgot to change it.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've had pretty much the same experience as Lat. I was pretty wary of BEEF from initial responses by 5punkers, but the rewards system looked quite nice and I saw it cheap so I got it on the offchance. The first few hours were spent on a random server and weren't very enjoyable as I just kept getting shot by snipers after running for several minutes to get near the enemy.

Then I played a game with 5punkers and it was far better. All I did really was follow Deject about healing him, and sometimes manned a gun on a vehicle, but it was great. I agree entirely that this game is made by you and your team, and I have to say I haven't (yet) experienced any of the nasty bugs and suchlike that are often mentioned.
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

Dog Pants wrote:Then I played a game with 5punkers and it was far better. All I did really was follow Deject about healing him, and sometimes manned a gun on a vehicle, but it was great.

This is exactly what happened for me too. And I'm yet to notice the bugs as well.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

While I agree with most of the review, I feel that this game is so fucking awesome it deserves a goddamn 10/10. If it weren't for Half-Life 2, BF2 wouldhave been the best game I've played in 5 years.

but that's just me.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

It loses some pointage due to the few negative aspects such as loading times, bugs and those times when it's not much fun, which are not necessarily the fault of the game but is part of it.

The bug you are mosted likely to notice is team members showing up with red names above their heads, which you don't usually see as you kill them and move on without a second thought. The game doesn't even tell you that you've done something bad. I've noticed it a few times since the latest patch, even been victim to it on one occasion. One of my team mates was deciding whether to kill me (again) or not on VOIP.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

It's worth noting that you absolutely need more than 1gb of ram to get a good experience from BF2

i'll explain more later, busy as fuck.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:It's worth noting that you absolutely need more than 1gb of ram to get a good experience from BF2

i'll explain more later, busy as fuck.

This is absolutely true. I played a lot with only 512MB of RAM, and I had to deal with a lot of stuttering, even longer load times (like 4-5 minutes at worst), and general crappines like that. I increased my RAM to 1.25GB, and the difference was amazing...
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:It's worth noting that you absolutely need more than 1gb of ram to get a good experience from BF2

Maybe "absolutely need" is a bit strong but it certainly makes a big difference and is highly recommended.
Jinxx
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Jinxx »

2GB works lovelysmooth here. Well, it would do if I had bothered to install beefs again.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/13/ ... page6.html

also, in my experience, the change from 1gb of ram to 2gb on an average-ish specced machine* was considerable.

it seriously lowers map loading times as well as stopping a lot of the swap file grinding and stuttering at the start of a game.

with 2gb of ram, you can be at the first flag on mashtuur before more than 6 people have spawned. :)

also if you alt-tab out of bf2 when it's loading maps, you'll see it's using well over 1gb of memory (given an idling windows xp uses about 300mb) not sure about in game, i'll test at some point.

*in this case
asrock 939 dual sata
athlon 64 3700
1 or 2 gb of ram
maxtor maxline 3 HDD
x800 pro (agp)
Last edited by Dr. kitteny berk on March 6th, 2006, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

The cool kids are doing 2gb now? I'm so behind the times :(

*Orders 1gb ram stick*
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Dog Pants wrote:The cool kids are doing 2gb now? I'm so behind the times :(

*Orders 1gb ram stick*

it's well worth it if you're getting into beef, or like multitaskings :)
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

My 2GB machine uses 1.09GB RAm when in game, I think. Sits at about 197MB after bootup tho. I've also noticed that alt-tabbing out seems to stop whatever task Beef is doing, beit loading a map or refreshing the server list etc.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I actually ordered another gig of RAM the other, purely to make BEEF run smoother (ok not purely, but it was a major contributor). It ran alright on just a single gig, but it had the infuriating quality of freezing at a crucial moment.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:it's well worth it if you're getting into beef, or like multitaskings :)

You make some good points so I guess so I guess more than 1GB is a must. But lets face it, 1GB is minimum these days if you're running a games machine and no one here is enough of a n00b to be on minmum specs are they? ;)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

spoodie wrote:
Dr. kitteny berk wrote:it's well worth it if you're getting into beef, or like multitaskings :)

You make some good points so I guess so I guess more than 1GB is a must. But lets face it, 1GB is minimum these days if you're running a games machine and no one here is enough of a n00b to be on minmum specs are they? ;)

No, definitely not.....

*Checks for parcels*
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I ran this game fine with a gig until the Special horses add-on and related patch came out, then had no end of trouble until patch 1.2 was released, although now I do run with 2 gig.

Map load times are still rather annoying, and my graphics card can only really handle 1024, which is a bit low when there are snipers around.

I have to say it took me a while to get into - it was about 15 hours of gameplay (although that includes map loads) before I really knew what was going on, finished rounds with postive scores and wasn't just running from death to death.

I played it for another 20 hours before the infamous patch basically prevented me playing for 4 months, and I haven't really gotten back into it.

It's worth noting you have to play a full round before any score you attain is uploaded and you can work towards unlocks - it's not a game to jump into for a quick 20 minute blast (10 minutes loading, of course).

The rating system to gain unlocks, is simultaneously the best and worst thing about the game - while it undoubtedly brings you back for more, and some of the lesser badges like parachuting and knifing give you something to aim for when things are a bit slow - you eventually reach a plateau, whereby the limited amount of time you can dedicate to playing is never going to give you any more unlocks, also no-one ever wants to play on unranked servers, so custom games or groups of friends are hard to arrange.

Having said all that, it is a very impressive title, and is the recipient of one of the highest accolades I can award a game: it's one I actually think about when I'm not playing.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

FatherJack wrote:It's worth noting you have to play a full round before any score you attain is uploaded and you can work towards unlocks - it's not a game to jump into for a quick 20 minute blast (10 minutes loading, of course).

I think all stats are logged, but only uploaded at the ends of rounds, not certain though.