Quake wars demo first impressions.

Console/PC game reviews by 5punkers

Moderator: Forum Moderators

w3rthers
Kitten
Kitten

Quake wars demo first impressions.

Post by w3rthers »

First of all you need a hotfix if you have an ATI card argh I thought this doesn't look good, but when you get it working it's more stable than the b33f and steam too.
The single path objective thing means theres sometimes its a slogfest where your trying to repair the big goliath type thing but you consantly get killed and when you do repair it, it gets disabled again. But this could be that no one working as a team because it's a new game and no one knows whats going on.
Me and wires found that you can run off and wait for your team mates to do one objective and you wait next to the next objective and you can complete the objective before the ememy realises whats going on then run to the next and do that then game over we did a whole game in about 5mins twice over then just messed about.
It's got some good stuff too you can airdrop different types of artillery positions then call in strikes from them if your support. Spec opps can diguise themelves as fallen enemies.
I don't the stroggs they seem a bit camp to me and sound like grimlock from transformers.
Theres no squads like in b33f so it's harder to stick together, there are some decent weapons which you feel like you can actually kill people and theyre quite well balanced, unlike some in battlefield.
I have only played it one night so I could find more faults or grow to love it.
Sorry if this is a bit of a crap review but I've been writing while at work so I've been alt tabbing out alot (well actually apple M) so it's a bit disjointed.

Anyone else played it?
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Sounds much like UT2004's Assault mode.
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Re: Quake wars demo first impressions.

Post by Lateralus »

w3rthers wrote: it's a new game and no one knows whats going on.

Very much the way I felt in the betas. Is the demo a new map from the two betas?

w3rthers wrote:Me and wires found that you can run off and wait for your team mates to do one objective and you wait next to the next objective and you can complete the objective before the ememy realises whats going on then run to the next and do that then game over

I never thought of that when I was playing - good plan. People only ever seem to attack or defend the immediate objective, which is fair enough really, but it does leave that void you've exploited.

w3rthers wrote: Spec opps can diguise themelves as fallen enemies.

I love doing this. Camo + flying drone bomb thing = my favourite class so far.

w3rthers wrote:Theres no squads like in b33f so it's harder to stick together

The fire teams (or whatever they're called) seem to have no function as far as I could see, and squads is an element I'd really like to see added.

I'd be interested to see how people think this compares to the betas, given that this is supposed to be pretty much like the final release will be. Not actually got the demo myself, and possibly won't get it due to lack of time.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Lateralus wrote:Very much the way I felt in the betas. Is the demo a new map from the two betas?

It's a fettled version of the map from beta2
w3rthers
Kitten
Kitten

Post by w3rthers »

It's strange it seems like it could be good but it's just missing something It's hard to put my finger on it but it feels like it doesn't know what it wants to be unreal or battlefield, I thought the single objective would be good so you get a concentrated battle with everyone working towards the same goal, but it doesn't seem to do that I feel more part of a team and I'm actually doing something worthwhile in the b33f but maybe that's because I've played that so much and I can't get used to a new way of doing things.
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

Is your full-stop key broken? :)

I have a feeling that the game won't lure the 5punky masses the way beef did, but then it did take a long time for that to take off iirc. Just depends on how well the other games play I guess.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

w3rthers wrote:First of all you need a hotfix if you have an ATI card argh

ah, so this is why nothing happened when I loaded it up. I'll wait for a full driver release then.
Hehulk
KHAAAN!
KHAAAN!

Post by Hehulk »

Might be worth noting, not all ATi cards need updates. My X700 didn't, and I'm damn sure I don't have the most up-to-date drivers.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I'm running the Bioshock ones, and I'm not going to install some shitty hotfix thing just to play the demo of a game that I couldn't care less about right now.