Need help with my mobo!!

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jeffclaw
Kitten
Kitten

Need help with my mobo!!

Post by jeffclaw »

Hi, as the title says i need help with my motherboard, the problem is I want to get a new graphic card, a PNY Verto Geforce 6800 128MB this has 22.4GB/s memory bandwidth. My motherboard (A7N8X-X) says it has bandwidth speeds of upto 2.12 Gb/s in its AGP 8x socket (scroll down a bit if you clicked the link)

Will this affect the performance of my graphic card? will it only transfer at a maximum of 2.12GB/s or will i be able to use its full potential of 22.4GB/s?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

think about this for a minute.

remember the gpu will be using the memory, not the agp slot.

also, we're not even close to using the bandwidth agp 8x can provide.
jeffclaw
Kitten
Kitten

Post by jeffclaw »

ahh thanks, was about to cry if i had to buy another motherboard aswell
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

You're confusing specs. The memory bandwidth is the bandwidth between the GPU on your card and the 128MB of RAM on your card. Nothing is leaving your videocard here. AGP bandwidth is the speed of the connection between the card and the CPU.
jeffclaw
Kitten
Kitten

Post by jeffclaw »

so its ok to buy this card and be able to use it to its full potential? just to be sure
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

nope.

because your motherboard is average last gen and your cpu and memory probably isn't that fast and will act as a bottleneck.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:nope.

because your motherboard is average last gen and your cpu and memory probably isn't that fast and will act as a bottleneck.

the card itself will work fine. what berk is saying is that your new card won't help you run games that much faster because your CPU and RAM are too slow.
jeffclaw
Kitten
Kitten

Post by jeffclaw »

sorry i posted the wrong motherboard :roll:

i'm in work at the moment so i'll take a look when i get home later, actually had to restart my pc (ffs) and it didn't say A7N8X-X
jeffclaw
Kitten
Kitten

Post by jeffclaw »

ok i'm home now, this is my motherboard according to cpu-z A7V880 dont know if this makes any diffrence

If it doesn't what motherboard would you recommend? my processor is socket A but i am looking to upgrade to a 939 pin AMD 64 when i get some money together
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

same level of performance really.

personally, imo, if you're planning on a graphics update and a motherboard update, you'll be *far* better off saving for longer and doing it in one jump to 939 and pci-express.

otherwise you're shelling out a lot of money for stuff that's gonna be dumped during your next update.
jeffclaw
Kitten
Kitten

Post by jeffclaw »

I remember reading somewhere that PCI-Express was still outperformed in most areas by AGP, but pci is cheaper to manufacture so therefore cheaper to buy
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

jeffclaw wrote:I remember reading somewhere that PCI-Express was still outperformed in most areas by AGP, but pci is cheaper to manufacture so therefore cheaper to buy

the difference between PCI-E and AGP is practically nil. PCI-E is better because AGP cards are fast becoming non-existant.