Dual Graphics Card

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Dual Graphics Card

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

What would I have to change in my system (obviously the motherboard) in order to buy the same graphics card as I already have, and run 2 of them alongside each other :shock:
HP Workstation xw6000
Galaxy Glacier GeForce 6800 (128MB)
Intel Xeon 2.8GHz
2GB PC2100 DDR RAM
37GB SCSI & 200GB IDE
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

ok, you'll have to change a lot to get that to happen.

You'll need a new motherboard (either SLI or Crossfire compatible, depending on your preference)

You'll also need at least 1 new graphics card - I can't tell if the one you have is PCI-E or AGP, not to mention that it doesn't appear to have an SLI connector (so isn't usable with an SLI setup)

After that you will *need* a good power supply, i'd say at least 400W from a good maker, expect to pay £40+ for this. A cheap and nasty PSU isn't an option, it'll die horribly.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:ok, you'll have to change a lot to get that to happen.

You'll need a new motherboard (either SLI or Crossfire compatible, depending on your preference)

You'll also need at least 1 new graphics card - I can't tell if the one you have is PCI-E or AGP, not to mention that it doesn't appear to have an SLI connector (so isn't usable with an SLI setup)

After that you will *need* a good power supply, i'd say at least 400W from a good maker, expect to pay £40+ for this. A cheap and nasty PSU isn't an option, it'll die horribly.

This. If you bought an AGP based card, you're better off getting a a new PCI-Express motherboard and a 7800GTX, and wait to upgrade to SLI. If you do need to buy a new mobo, I suggest getting an ASUS A8N-SLI board and a Athlon 64 3500+ or higher. Pair that up with a GB or so of DDR400, and you've got a primo gaming rig.

And I cannot stress enough how important a quality power supply is. A good third to half of stability issues are caused by bad PSUs.
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

Thanks for the advice.

One question though, can you run 2 completely different graphics cards in a dual mode setup? I assumed they had to be the same.

If I have no SLI connectors, does that mean I will have to use this Crossfire setup instead of SLI?

What's the difference between the two?
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Woo Elephant Yeah wrote:Thanks for the advice.

One question though, can you run 2 completely different graphics cards in a dual mode setup? I assumed they had to be the same.

If I have no SLI connectors, does that mean I will have to use this Crossfire setup instead of SLI?

What's the difference between the two?

You can always run 2 separate video cards, but they won't work together in any way. SLI and Crossfire both require the same type of card, and current SLI systems need the same video bios on the cards for it to work.

If you have no SLI connector, you can't use that card in any dual GPU setup. Crossfire is for ATi cards, so you're SOL in the dual graphics department.

As for the differences between SLI and Crossfire, SLI was part of the 6x00 chip design from the beginning whereas Crossfire is made to respond to SLI so ATi isn't left behind. SLI uses a little connector card for the 2 cards to communicate with each other, while Crossfire uses an external connector using DVI plugs. Also, Crossfire needs at least one special Crossfire edition card to pair up with a regular one.
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

Crossfire is only really usefull if you currently have a nice ATI card (X800 etc.) then all you do is buy another, but slightly more expensive (they reckon about £40 more) Crossfire 'master/control' card and conenct together with DVI cable at back, off you go. Apparently much more compatible and less driver probs than SLI.

Assuming of course you have a compatible motherboard.

I have neither an ATI card or a compatible motherboard so :(