Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Crush - PSP

Post by Stoat »

Crush - PSP
Screenshots (Gamespot)

Introduction
Crush, a 3D puzzler, is a difficult game to explain. The premise is simple enough- you have to collect your marbles and reach the exit. However, in this virtual world your environment can be flattened in to 2D from the North, East, South, West or from above. For example, if there's a platform above and to the right of you, move the camera to a top-down position and Crush... the platform in now on the same level and you can just walk right on to it. Uncrush, and you're up on the higher platform.

Gameplay
As you would expect, it starts of pretty simple. Your hand is held through the tutorial, then new elements are added regularly. Each completed level unlocks the next. Levels are ranked for difficulty and your performance in each is rated in case you wish to go back and do better. You control Danny, an insomniac in a 'special' hospital for C.R.U.S.H treatment, with the Analogue nub. The camera (the angle of crush) is controlled via the D-Pad, while crushing and uncrushing is done with a tap of the left shoulder button. You are timed, but there is no time limit. You can zoom out and look at the level from any angle to give you a good overview of the puzzle. With the solid control scheme I'm sure it's possible to get some really quick completion times once you've sussed the level out.

Sights and Sounds
This is quite a nice looking puzzler. The different level 'themes' are atmospheric and suitably psychotic. Different block types are easily recognisable and the animation as a whole is impressive.
Story scenes are not animated other than the artwork sliding about, old school stylee. The voice acting is pretty good though- there's a few chuckles to be found here.
The music is a bit of a non-entity. It adds to the isolated, mysterious atmosphere but can be a little repetative. However, it's not the sort of game that you really need to listen to if you don't feel like it.

The good and the bad
- You'll feel smug for a while once you've figured out something you've been stuck on.
- Hints can only be activated in certain locations. This can leave you feeling a little lost if you're really in need of a tip.
- It makes my brain hurt. The backdrops breathing in and out and grainy rain can really do your head in.

Conclusion
Crush makes me angry. It makes me angry and confused and tired. But I keep coming back to it, because I can feel it mocking me. I still don't know how hard this game gets- I'm still quite early on, so I doubt a ranking of "Very Hard" is all the way up to eleven.
I'm not convinced it's worth thirty quid though- I'm sure it'll come down in price soon enough, and then it'll be spot on.

Score : :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starempty: :starempty: :starempty:
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

Nice review Stoat.

You might find this useful for any puzzles you just cannot get past no matter what http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/06/11/vid ... -to-crush/
Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stoat »

Ooh, ta.
I won't click it yet though.
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

Here's some official reviews for you all to get your teeth into

http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/06/14/metareview-crush/