Is it a good time to upgrade, bitches?!

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Re: Is it a good time to upgrade, bitches?!

Post by Roman Totale »

Mr. Johnson wrote:Also I don't think there's a need to replace that i7, I'm still running an i5 and it's just fine
Hmm, it's that that always failed the benchmark tests for newer games. Think I'll upgrade it.

And cheers Doggers, I'll have a look at that one.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

The i7 CPUs are for enthusiasts or people that use applications which require a lot of CPU power. A new i5 is more than enough for gaming. However I have a brand new i7 and other components that are overpowered for my requirements, so what the hell, go for it.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

They've been using i3, i5 and i7 as names for about six generations now, so you need to go by the (now) four-digit number after the i-name and the clock speed as well now. http://cpuboss.com/ will help you compare. A first-gen i7 920 is significantly less powerful than even the cheapest i3 available new now. Newer generation doesn't always mean better either though, the i5 6600K and i5 4690K are about the same.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Well I've ordered it (with some tweaks) - now just need to remember all my log in details for Steam and everything. What games (other than Rocket League) are popular these days?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Roman Totale wrote:Well I've ordered it (with some tweaks) - now just need to remember all my log in details for Steam and everything. What games (other than Rocket League) are popular these days?
Mostly I've seen: Overwatch, B44F, Golf with your friends.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:
Roman Totale wrote:Well I've ordered it (with some tweaks) - now just need to remember all my log in details for Steam and everything. What games (other than Rocket League) are popular these days?
Mostly I've seen: Overwatch, B44F, Golf with your friends.
On the subject of which, you might want to get your login for BEEF sorted. Some random still seemed to be you at last check.

To give you an idea of typical nightly composition:

Early on Overwatch for an hour or two.
Some other random thing early, like Depth or BEEF or Elite Dangerous.
Rocket League at least once, usually for an hour or more.
More obscure random like Golf or Jackbox later on, occasionally Overwatch if not played much earlier, often Rockets again depending on if/how much it was played earlier.

I think we're due a little shakeup again though. I wouldn't mind a return to some HotS later on.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Dog Pants wrote: On the subject of which, you might want to get your login for BEEF sorted. Some random still seemed to be you at last check.
Looks like they removed you lot from my friends list and added a load of other people. Sorry guys, but I'm going to be hanging out with the Russians now.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Dog Pants wrote:No optical drive, because the internet.
This caught me out with my new build. Windows 10 didn't have the drivers for the fancy network port. Not a huge deal to get around, but would have been easier if I had thought of getting a USB to SATA + power adaptor like this one. Allowing temporary use of an optical drive externally.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

True, they do come in handy occasionally. I've got a USB external DVD drive for special occasions.