Fallout 4

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Re: Fallout 4

Post by shot2bits »

Roman Totale wrote:Not sure if this was mentioned in that Reddit post, but to set up a supply line between settlements go in to construction view, find an unassigned settler, then press the button to set up a supply line. You can now share resources across all your settlements making it much easier to build things.
also forgot if it was mentioned you need one of the charisma perks for this too

what this does is share the workshops storage between settlements with an active supply line, I've not looked into it too much yet but afaik you need a settler for each supply line you want and I'm not sure if for example you have 3 settlements, if you link the 1st to the 2nd and the 2nd to the 3rd if that will then let you access the supplies from the 1st settlement from the 3rd but it would be nice to find out as you could then make it so anything can be accessed from anywhere without having to use too many settlers.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I have 13 settlements so far and needed 12 settlers to connect them all, it's always n-1. It would be crazy to have to link each one to each other one. You can't use unique-named settlers.

The raw materials are shared, but not the resources they produce - so food etc isn't shared around. That seems a bit odd at first as some places are clearly set up for farming but you can't have one supply the others, instead you can use the farms to craft stuff like adhesive, which is then shared.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

So despite Gary Busey's best efforts at being antisocial I've got my first settlement together. Can I not just repair the houses that are already there or do I have to build little shacks amongst them?
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Explore your settlement and open/loot everything you can. Then go into construction mode and scrap every yellow object in sight (including the full houses that have been destroyed).

Make sure to build a few beds, either in existing structures or ones you've just built.

For new structures I've found it best to stick to simple box like structures at first. Stick down some wooden floors and wall on one of the empty plots and build upwards (in the 'floors' section there is a staircase - use that one for building up, and remember you don't need to lay down floor first to stick it on).

Build a water pump or two until you have enough material to make more generators and a water purifier to go in the river.

Harvest tatos and carrots, then plant them in the dirt back at your settlement. Your doods should automatically work/harvest them.

Edit: and make sure you build a comms tower to attract new settlers. It should be a quest.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Gary Busey makes the settler stuff difficult by being an asshat and refusing to help anyone with anything. I've had to make a few concessions or else nothing will ever get done.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Dog Pants wrote:Gary Busey makes the settler stuff difficult by being an asshat and refusing to help anyone with anything. I've had to make a few concessions or else nothing will ever get done.
Troll them by building the beds at the top of several spindly flights of stairs. Then delete the stairs while they're sleeping.

The other settlements you find usually ask you to do something before they align with you, but fortunately you can often just kill everyone there and take them instead.

I think you can go up about five "levels" - that is five of the cube-shaped prefabs - before running into pathing/out-of-bounds issues, but there's also a limit on the number of objects you can build. I haven't done much in terms of extreme experimentation, but have had people able to get up to beds built on the second level and guns able to shoot down from above three of the big stairs, which is about six cubes high.

The stairs with two floors built in in the "floors" section Roman mentioned are much easier to use successfully than the ones in the ladders section, as settlers flat-out refuse to jump even if they're being chased by ghouls. I observed one of my provisioners walk directly into a knee-high wall and bounce off about five times before teleporting behind it and carrying on - right off a cliff.. which gave her no apparent trouble.

I've decked out a few places using the end-of-hallway metal cubes (which use the least overall resources), with a metal doorway (but no door) in front and one nice bed inside, it's tight but if you can get to either side of the bed, so can they. One electricity connector on the back will power lights in three connected cubes and normal lightbulbs don't take much power, but they and the connecting wires do need copper. I like the notion that all my settler's rooms are effectively live with electricity.

Sometimes exclamation points show up in the Data/Workshops section of your Pipboy where your settlements are displayed, the most common early on being against defenses. You need, I think, a higher defense than your food and water score combined to stop this, but it won't completely stop you being attacked, just make it less likely. One person usually starts farming automatically and further people can be ordered to farm - each can take care of six plants, but having a lot of food will make attack more likely.

I found it hard to plan against attack without knowing what they would be like, so can share a few tips having had it happen a few times. I've had raider scums mostly but also a few bloatflies and once, super mutants plus I also kited in a sentry bot for a laugh. The critters typically wander in accidentally and don't count as a full attack, but their behaviour is the same, organised attacks usually occur from several points at once surrounding the settlements. You get a message if you're away and it becomes a quest you can fail if you don't go there quickish.

The machine guns have a pretty good range, and a 360° firing arc, but they can only shoot the closest one thing at time, so one on each corner is a minimum plus one on each side on the bigger lots should cover you - unless the settlement has natural borders protecting it, but they are mostly useful more for alerting you rather than destroying everything. They don't run out of ammo, but they can get damaged.

All enemy types will try at first to attack the sentries which attack them, pathfinding through buildings to get there if necessary, so it makes sense to build them above ground to make attack harder for meleeing enemies, and use your tower defense skills to make sure they get shot a lot while trying to reach them. When I was attacked by bloatflies they dutifully ran the gauntlet along the ground and used the stairs to reach the upper level. If they get damaged they will need to be repaired, either by you using almost as many materials as it took to build them, or automatically by a settler over time - so I think there needs to be a way a settler can reach them, so having them on unreachable platforms isn't a good option, but a zig-zag maze or a long corridor would be great.

Once they've taken out the sentry gens they will start on the settlers, I only had the sentry bot get that far, so I don't think it's representative, but it only knocked them and a passing merchant out and then angrily hung around looking for me (I was hiding in a shack) - it didn't damag any of the infrastructure. That can be damaged as I had a sentry accidentally shoot some food plants once.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Is it very important to have settlements? I'm starting to wonder if I can be arsed on this particular playthrough. Maybe I'll just live off the land, being an arse and not helping anyone, and piss about with towns another time.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

No, I just found it fun.

If anything it's a distraction and some sources suggest it's best to just have one big one to concentrate on.

I guess it's between the disadvantage of trying to protect them all and the advantage of having them make resources for you. The first one is easily as large and resource-full to provide most of what you need.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'd probably find it entertaining too, but I know how short my attention span is with open world games, and being dragged back to my settlements to defend them when I'm busy doing something else would probably detract from my objective of just enjoying fannying about in the wasteland.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'm happy with Gary's decision to ditch those settler bums. I'm roaming the wastes as a free spirit, exploring what I come across and only taking what I need. No worries about inventory management, no worrying about quests particularly. Since I'm also playing on Easy I can afford to not be too concerned about combat perks, lugging heavy weapons about, or cells for power armour either. I have found that it's turned me into a drug dealer though, since chems are light and valuable.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Like most of us, I have been playing the shit out of this game recently. Before I carry on, I do want to be completely clear that I think it's a great game. The more I am playing the story the more pissed off with it I am getting though: It's a great game in general but it's a shitty RPG. Unfortunately I can't really talk about why without it being to some degree spoilery, but I wanted to see what the opinions of everyone else are, so this is going to be spoiler heavy. For people not sure whether its safe to read on: I have just done the Bunker Hill mission of the main storyline. Everything I talk about outside the main storyline will be from early in their quest chains, so if you have got to the bit of the main story I have you are probably fine.
Spoiler:
The problem im having is that I dont feel like I have a lot of choice in the direction I am taking my character and when I do get to make choices I feel like the writing is tricking me into making the wrong ones. The first bit of that is fairly obvious, especially if you use that "full text speech options" mod. A huge amount of the dialogue is just different ways of making your character say "yes". The second bit is mostly about the factions. My interactions with all but two of them started out basically like this:

Them: Hi! You have done one nice thing for us, so we would like you to join us!
Me: Who are you?
Them: Oh, we are reasonable and pleasant people who just want to do good things!
Me: Ok then, I shall join you.
Them: Great! Now we can tell you our secret plan, that is totally unreasonable and unpleasant/borderline psychotic.

By which point I appear to only have two choices: Go along with it or kill them all. This has forced me into a hugely uncomfortable situation where the Institute, the BoS and the Railroad all want me to do contradictory things. Now, I'm fine with being put in a position where I have to make a choice, but what's spoiling it for me is that I dont get to argue with the people asking me to do things, or lie to them and then go snitch to the opposition, or basically any choice other than "I am entirely in agreement with you and will now happily shoot all my other friends!". Which is fucking annoying because both the BoS and the Institutes positions are clearly fucking bonkers. I feel like, in a better designed game, there would be an option here to be able to persuade the BoS that they dont actually need to nuke everything just to be on the safe side, and persuade the Institute that actually, maybe, the synths are intelligent independent beings and brainwiping them to turn them into slaves might not be entirely moral. I suppose its possible that those options might come up later in the story, but by this point I have already been forced into being complicit in synth-napping and have only managed to avoid pissing off the BoS because the slightly weird AI lets me sit back and be impartial if they start having a fight with the synths I am quite obviously allied with.
Like I say, I am still enjoying the game a lot despite all that. I just feel like I might enjoy it more if I completely stop caring about the story, which is kind of disappointing. Anyone else getting this problem?
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Completely agree with all of that. I'm enjoying the game, but at the same time I don't think it's actually that good. It amazes me how many 9/10 or even 10/10 scores it's been getting. By strange coincidence I've also just done Bunker Hill (after spending days building houses) and since that the game has been losing its appeal.

Zero Punctuation did a review yesterday that echoes many of these points. Glad I'm not the only that doesn't think this is the best game in the universe ever.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I'm not all that far into it, played a few hours, but am just pissing around, but so far it suffers from the fallout thing, a mediocre RPG with a distinctly average shooter attached to it.

I have no doubt that by the time I get around to doing the main story the person I'm looking for will be a middle aged man, and probably the leader of some psychotic gang I've been sent to kill, thus causing a really crappy moral dilemma.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've been concentrating on the environmental stories and ignoring the main story. I like the little touches, like in the bathroom at the satcom station near Sanctuary there's a pair of handcuffs and a skeletal hand under the sink. I spent a while looking for a skeleton with no hand, but to no avail.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I haven't really bothered that much with the main quest as it was never really that interesting in the previous games. The Fallout 3 main quest was basically find Dad via optionally Megaton, Galaxy News and/or Rivet City, free him, go to water purifier then Citadel, find the GECK, get captured and escape then back to the purifier. Game Over.

It was only the Tranquility lane part that was very entertaining, most of what I enjoyed came from random wandering and discoveries - like what happened in all the other vaults and random mad people and situations.

So I'm playing this new game the same way. After finding the guy you see at the start while in the vault a big event happens which to me just felt like everything was going to change, like when you climb the mountain in Skyrim, or get near the end of the previous Fallout titles - you have to basically pick one of two or three factions and ride that train to the ending.

They can only have a finite number of actual 'endings', so making all the factions insistent that all the other factions must be obliterated is I suppose the only way to get to that. Or I could just not progress that far and have ghouls, synths, robots, supermutants and smoothskins all coexisting peacefully under my care in my settlements. Or just exterminate everyone, like in New Vegas.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

180 hours says this was a good value purchase for me. Enjoyed it far more than FO3 and NV though not entirely sure why. Just seemed to flow better, and there was more to do between the questy bits to keep you occupied. Plus I can make slave pens and fill them with all the black settlers.