WTF Error Message...

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

WTF Error Message...

Post by Anery »

Now, I'm not a total computard, so normally when things go wrong with my own rig I can troubleshoot myself. However, recently I have been suffering from a series of unexplained crashes. Not reboots, not freezes but honest to goodness crashes. My first reaction was a bit "meh, so what" but it's happened a few times now so I've been digging and found the following:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0xfffffa800a8ce010, 0xfffff880063e8a08, 0xffffffffc000009a, 0x0000000000000004). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 052215-9999-01.

Which is the modern equivalent of a BSOD, but I can't find the codes anywhere.
Anyone know where they can be found?
In the meantime I am driver checking.

EDIT
Literally seconds after I pushed submit...MSDN list of Bug Check Codes...looks like a driver issue, how horribly boring but pleasantly easy to fix
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Re: WTF Error Message...

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

memtest first, ask questions later
deject
Berk
Berk

Re: WTF Error Message...

Post by deject »

Doing a crash dump analysis on your memory dump file is one of the best ways to determine what caused your computer to crash. You'll need to install the Windows debugging tools, WinDBG specifically.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 85%29.aspx

Once you have WinDBG installed, you'll need to point it to the MS Symbols server so that it can interpret the dump.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/311503/

You'll get a bunch of gibberish, but it will usually spit out a driver file that caused the issue and from there you can google it and usually get an answer.