Elite: Dangerous (aka Elite IV)

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Re: Elite: Dangerous (aka Elite IV)

Post by Anery »

Anyone know where I can find Pratchetts Disc? I feel like a pilgrimmage
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Anery wrote:Anyone know where I can find Pratchetts Disc? I feel like a pilgrimmage
HIP 74290 apparently.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I set out from LP 214-1 where I had been making a semi-decent living with some light haulage and bounty hunting.
I sold up everything I had, stripped down the hauler and the falcon before selling them off too and bought myself a viper. This gives me the jumping distance required with decent self defence capabilities.
First run out I nearly killed myself when I deployed hardpoints to check my fire groups. Turns out I really did need to upgrade my power plant as well as my FSD.
New power plant bought and I'm down to 83k, at this rate I should buy a kill warrant scanner - looks like I won't be able to afford another space transit van for a while so I'd best kit out for bounty hunting, try and make some cash along the way...
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Vipers are the police ships aren't they? Seem to remember so from Frontier back in the early 90s.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

HIP 95256
About halfway through my journey now. I'm being cautious with my fuel, as soon as I hit half tank I start looking for refuelling points, sometimes that might mean a backwards jump but I'd rather waste 5 minutes than die as my systems shut down.
One encounter of note, as I tried to avoid an interdiction I failed and was dumped out into normal space, normally this isn't a problem but it causes a massive buildup of heat in the system and I haven't equipped heat ejectors. So I was forced to run from a fight I would probably have won quite easily. So far, selling cartographic information is paying my way - I guess any interdictions will have to be submitted to until I can get heat ejectors.

EDIT
Halfway was waaaaay optimistic. Not even a quarter...
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I'm watching fuel gauge or my reserve fuel tank drop, I'm 25 LY out from fuel and salvation, I have nothing left to jump with and I am painfully supercrusing my way toward HIP 83983. HUD tells me it will take 11.2 days at this rate of travel, but that keeps dropping as my speed steadily increases.

My fuel gauge has just got to two pips worth of fuel left.

I've checked my insurance and I can afford to buy back but it will pretty much empty my bank account. I need to look into equipping a fuel scoop - if that is at all possible - for my next outing.

One pip remains and I am 8.4 days out.

Considering ending this now and self destructing but some morbid fascination is keeping me going. 7.9 days away and fuel is almost out.

7.8 days away and I'm dropped out of supercruise, I have no more fuel left, life support will fail in 4 and a half minutes. I can hear my pilots breathing. All systems are dead, I'm just waiting to die.

Annoyingly the cockpit remains lit like a fucking christmas tree, cheerfully counting down the time until I expire.

40 seconds of air remaining, I can hear my pilot struggling to breathe now.

15 seconds, I can hear him really struggling for air.

Somehow running out of air causes your ship to explode...