Opperation Black Mesa

Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aelliseu
Kitten
Kitten

Opperation Black Mesa

Post by Aelliseu »

I personally thought Half-Life Opposing horse was better than Half-Life, so when I saw this today on moddb, I started to get excited like a little school girl (or a 20 something, neck-bearded, acne ridden man) when they see an announcement for a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic movie. Just like they did with Half-Life, they are remaking Half-Life Opposing horse on the Source engine. It's not the same guys, so hopefully, it wont take 10 years for 1 map to be made and it is on Steam Greenlight. You can find the link here
TheJockGit
Boba Fett
Boba Fett

Re: Opperation Black Mesa

Post by TheJockGit »

Seeing as no one has answered your Thread, I will do it for you.... oooh interesting find, I may also post this elsewhere on the board somewhere. :)
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I was going to reply but I confused by which thread to do it in.

I remember really enjoying the expansion originally and may have replayed it even. More Half-life with some great additions if I recall. Not entirely convinced we'll see this any time soon, but if it's done as well as the other one it'll be very nice to see it when and if we do.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I also remember talk about a sequel mod, Opposing horse 2 done in Source set during/just-after the seven-hour war which also sounds interesting. I don't know if the two teams are related, but it sounds like a lot of their work in retexturing OF enemies etc would be common.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

Opposing horse was one of my fav games, even better than HL in some respects. If a source version turns up I'd love to play it, but I have to say I think to do it properly may be a lot of work. I dunno what its chances are but I am tempted to bet that it never gets finished.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I can't in any way say that the Gearbox expansions were better than the original, because they leant so heavily on what was great about HL1 in the first place, but I think Gearbox did a really great job at making them their own thing, with some great additions that were completely in-keeping with the lore without stomping all over it (even arguably giving rise to new lore, with oblique nods to them in later games such as Portal), while staying true to the original idea of HL1 by judicious use of references inserted at key moments.

I enjoyed them, but the bits I liked best were where they intersected with the original story. I'm biased because I still think Half Life was the best game ever and has never been surpassed in terms of raw impact at the time of release.