BEEF: BACON 2

Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

HereComesPete wrote:Right then, who's around for drunk baconz tonight?
Possibly yus. I'm going to a restaurant at 8ish, expect to be there for a while and I need to pick up some boozes on the way back.

So we'll see what I feel like later. Probably a yes though.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Apparently the latest ATI driver (10.6) fucks up Baconz for a lot of people (including me).

Roll it back if you have any issues with it.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Does that now mean with 10.5 you can join us? Excellent.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

NAM BACON was jolly good fun last night/early this morning. Having "lower tech" weapons seems a good thing (although air power is still stupidly overpowered).
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Roman Totale wrote:(although air power is still stupidly overpowered).
:above:

A chopper with an engineer onboard and a fairly decent pilot is virtually invincible. Very frustrating.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Yep, I enjoyed it for quite a bit of yesterday, especially the bit with 5punkers. Unfortunately they saw fit to remove the Stingers from it that were in BFV, so now the rofflecopters are even harder to shoot down. Fortunately they only have Hueys and aren't hugely offensive. Looks like a well placed tank shell is the best solution, and I'm pleased to say I had a persistently painful heli pilot ask if I was a tank pro after I shot him down twice in a row.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: BEEF: BACON 2

Post by Dog Pants »

I went and said hello on the Enemy Boat Spotted forums, since we've been enjoying their server. Seem like friendly sorts.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Hmm. Well, it's nice to see DICE still have a member of staff or two diving into BACONS code, but the stuff that's just come out on the latest update strikes me as stuff that should have been fixed shortly after release, especially things like chat window causing lag spikes and rubberbanding on 24+ player servers:
- Removed some memory leaks
- Fixed crashes when the game attempted to render lots of content (high detail, high FOV or multiple-monitor modes); this should particularly help multi-monitor users
- Chat window no longer causes lag spikes
- Chat window reworked opacity & visibility-time is controllable through settings in settings.ini
- Clantag is remembered when using auto-login
- Banner URLs can be up to 252 characters in length
- Minor performance enhancements
- Reduced rubberbanding on servers with more than 24 active players
- PrintScreen takes a screenshot, file stored in Documents\BFBC2\Screenshots directory
Good thing is the crash issue for high end stuff, hopefully it'll mean that Roman doesn't suffer blackouts anymore. At least in the few weeks before Threef comes out.

Edit, just noticed last Bacons update was June 2010 according to Steam. I'm gonna presume that Threef's programming team are bored while the "beta" is going on as the game is pretty much already gold.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

buzzmong wrote:Stuff
Possibly given the engine sharing they've had a few new ideas/breakthroughs as a result of threef and because they're not total knobbers they've decided to patch the old game for those who still put lots of hours in. Plus it may be that that one thing wrong that's now fixed will tempt a group of players back and get them all excited about threef.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Or more likely that it was done last year but they've not been able to get QA to test it and go through the publishing route because everyone's been tied up with Threef.

Either way, fixes are good. Game of bacons tonight?
Jimmington
Badger
Badger

Post by Jimmington »

I believe the term is Necro...

In the most unlikely event anyone actually still has this installed, and enjoyed playing it, I believe there are attempts by a few of my mob I used to play with to have a blast on this tonight. By a few, i do mean a few i.e around 5 or so, so not some massive clan event, but if anyone fancies a tickle I should be about on Jimmington from about 21:00 for a few hours. Happy Hunting.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

I think I still have this installed, may jump on :)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'd have a retro revival of BACON, but I doubt I'll have time tonight.