Powers: 99d6 problems

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Re: Powers: 99d6 problems

Post by HereComesPete »

Does each power go up a tier in increments of 30? If so curious as to why 30?

Also, I don't get how it's 10 tier 3 dice. I'm using the excuse I'm tired but I seem to read it as 30 dice per tier /10, so 6 dice, then the final partial part of a tier 10 /10, 1 dice for a total of 7 dice to represent 70? Can't seem to get how 10 dice represents a true dice pool of 70.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

HereComesPete wrote:Does each power go up a tier in increments of 30? If so curious as to why 30?

Its not just Powers, its any dice pool, but yeah everything goes up in increments of 30. I just picked 30 because its a point where rolling more dice than that starts to get silly. I might tone it down to 20 to be honest, but I want to put it through at least a bit of testing before I do any number tweaking. Theres no really scientific reason to it, I just picked a number that felt right.
Also, I don't get how it's 10 tier 3 dice. I'm using the excuse I'm tired but I seem to read it as 30 dice per tier /10, so 6 dice, then the final partial part of a tier 10 /10, 1 dice for a total of 7 dice to represent 70? Can't seem to get how 10 dice represents a true dice pool of 70.
Right, I thought that might need a bit more explaining. Here goes:

When you get to the Tier limit when upping a dice pool, instead of keeping going up in dice you go up a Tier and reset the number of dice back to 1. So (at the moment) the progression goes like this:

1 tier 1
2 Tier 1
3 Tier 1
and so on up to..
29 Tier 1
30 Tier 1
1 Tier 2
2 Tier 2
and so on up to
29 Tier 2
30 Tier 2
1 Tier 3

So a dice pool of 10 tier 3 has started with 30 to get to the top of Tier 1, then added another 30 to get up to the top of Tier 2, and has then got 10 dice through Tier 3. 30+30+10 = 70 dice. So if the person was just using straight dice pools and not Tiers, he would be doing a maximum of 70 damage. He isn't rolling 70 dice though, he is rolling 10 dice. So to get up to the same total maximum damage, each die has to be worth 7 damage each (10 dice * 7 damage = 70 damage maximum)

Is that any clearer?
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Er, sort of. I can see why you need to roll 10 to provide an equivalent possible of 70 but it seems a bit flipped up.

I thought at first you were merely saying tier 0 - tier 1 is 30 dice and so forth for a total of 3 tiers taking 90 dice and another die to represent the 10 of the partial advancement to tier 4 hence the 10 dice. But then I couldn't see how that would be a maximum of 70 damage. Then I figured no he's explicitly stated 70 dice.

Some thinking - keep each die worth a constant 10 damage

A tier 3+10 dice pool is reduced to 7 dice.

A tier 23 dice pool is reduced to 69 dice? That's rather excessive, although I've rolled more in a khornate 40k army charge.

So instead keep the dice pool a constant 10

A tier 3+10 dice pool is 10 dice worth 7 damage each.

A tier 23 dice pool is 10 dice worth 69 damage each?

A tier 23+10 dice pool is 10 dice worth 70 damage each??

Quick head maths hence the question marks. The problem with option 1 is too many dice, the problem with option two to my mind is too much damage on each die.