Post by Roman Totale »

Find some spandex
Do a faaabulous conga
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: i46 sporadic commentary

Post by Dog Pants »

I'm a little disappointed with the freebies I've scabbed, although the Borderlands tee is pretty good for a promotional jobbie. Anery got a PNG carrabina and Prof got some similarly branded tic-tacs in a little metal box. Some people got free intel SSDs and CPUs. They're about to start the cosplay competition, and already I've seen some dude from Final Fantasy and a bird with very skimpy armour on. Not sure how I feel about the whole thing, but Prof is; he got interviewed on camera and asked if he was a cosplayer. I'm hoping he said yes and that he would be dressed as Chun Li later, but I think that's for the camp site rather than the competition.
Sheriff Fatman
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Sheriff Fatman »

Having never been been to a LAN, a question occurred: How do they make sure no one wanders off with your pooter? I'm assuming you have to set up and leave it whilst you have a look around.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

They put stickers on your case and monitor which get checked when you leave, and kingston locks with little flanges for your peripherals are popular. Other than that it's just trusting that you won't be the guy out of 2500 people who gets something nicked. Apparently crime only really seems to extend to unattended phones and cameras. I was wary, but it's really a pretty friendly atmosphere. Very geeky, but people don't tend to do the internet rage thing to your face.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

A combination of having a body clock set by a four year old and being busting for a poo finds me up and at the LAN at this ungodly hour. I've had four hours sleep and I'm still half cut, so I'm chilling out in the oven-like hall here trying to pluck up the motivation to go for breakfast. Last night brought far more drinking than gaming, as those of you on TS can no doubt attest to by our mass KV-esque AFKness. It also brought me a Planetside 2 beta which I've no chance of downloading on this connection (and would possibly breach the NDA by playing here in public anyway). In other news, we left the Californian guy sat on his own at the end of our row still playing Sleeping Dogs after a 17 hour marathon. I hope he finished it.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

No update for 12 hours?? Dog Pants is slipping..
i46 is a bit of a sweatbox, its been raining outside so they shut the roof vents. Also my Gazibo may apparently not be there anymore when we return to the campsite due to the windyness
However, all is good, we've got the Classy Saturday Party to look forward to, which i think includes the legendary staff v punters boatrace. I'm tempted to have a crack at it, it cant be worse than the warm cans of carlsberg we have here. But then again i'll make a tit of myself so prob not.

PS. CS:GO is good. buy it.
Fred Woogle
Zombie
Zombie

Post by Fred Woogle »

mrbobbins wrote:An inflatable sheep
A beer can tower
So my standard desk decorations at a lan then :D

My wife wants you to find a punnet of Strawberrys.

My thing for you to find, shall probably be far harder, a box/or someone eating rusks!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Again, stuff we'd find on your desk at a LAN. Apart from maybe the strawberries. Also, Prof is playing GTA2 and it looks really good for a game of its age.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Prof and I just finished the pub quiz, which was pretty good fun. All done with the big stage and compère, and crazy internet shit going on in the background (you are a pirate, Gangnam Style, etc). Towers of beer cans were erected and felled by flying beer mats, and an inflatable doll kept making an appearance in front of the livestream camera. And it (apparently traditionally) ended with a singalong to the Muppets cover of Bohemian Rhapsody. I think we did okay, out of 600 people. The teams who won all had about 15-30 people in them, so per capita I reckon we were pretty good. The picture round was good so I'm going to try to emulate it here, see how you guys do. It's like a pictionary thing, guess the name of the videogame from the pictures. Oh, and they weren't in order when we did them (but they are here).

1: ImageImageImage

2: ImageImage

3: ImageImage

4: ImageImage

5: ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

6: ImageImageImage

7: ImageImage

8: ImageImage

9: ImageImageImage

10: ImageImageImageImage

11: ImageImageImage

12: ImageImage

13: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 Image

14: ImageImageImage

15: ImageImage

16: ImageImageImage

17: ImageImage

18: ImageImageImage

19: ImageImageImageImage

20: ImageImageImageImageImage
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Sunday has brought many things. Double the amount of sleep I had the night before, which was still only half the amount Anery had. I can't say how much sleep the others had, since they're not up yet. Another full breakfast should see me right (and make me fat), after my cold shower earlier. Today is tournament day, and in true 5punk style I plan on not entering any of them. Also, after the quiz antics from last night, I woke up with Gangnam Style in my head and can't get rid of it.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Monday morning and the arse has fallen out of the world. The tents are down without too much drama, suprising the amount of tents just floating around the campsite with no owners - really floating as the wind has got up somewhat and people don't seem to understand the use of guy ropes. Exhibition is still open so I think I am going to go on a last minute freebie scrounge before starting the trip home, with a bit of luck they will be trying to offload as much free tat as possible instead of lugging it back with them.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Phew, back at the in-laws after the first leg home. Tiring drive after averaging maybe five hours sleep a night for five days, but got there in the end. A very good time was had, I'd really recommend it if you can afford it. I'd say the breakdown of demographics were maybe 30% obvious nerds, 40% regular people, 20% 5punky compatible good people, and 10% knobbers. Predictably not a lot of gaming was done, but the events and exhibitions were pretty good. The pub quiz was the highlight event, but we also watched the (last before CSGO) WCG counterstrike final between aa French team and a mostly German team. Despite not having much of an idea what was going on, the atmosphere was great with roars from the crowd after good kills and a constant flow of commentary.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

Wow, Feeling pretty cream crackered right about now! However well worth it, that was an awesome weekend of boozing, chatting, gaming and plenty of laughs. Agree with doggers, there is a reasonably decent mix of people there, and everyone i spoke to was friendly. Wandering around the exhibition stands and taking part in their games/compos was good. I failed miseraby to win a decent spec PC at CCL's "Fastest Build" (put together a pc and boot it) challenge with a mediocre 5 minute score. The winner did it in a blazing 2:09, WTF!
The frenchies won the CSS, It was so funny when the commentators got a huge chear for the (somewhat) english team, and a rather muted cheer/boo for the french team :lol:
Finances permitting I recon that could become a annual/bi-annual tradition for me
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

What they both said. Despite killing myself on Friday night I am planning on attending the next one which is being held sometime at the end of november, the two lads from work are talking about it already.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

And here is a pic of the filth bag compere:

The rest are here
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

Phwoar, that's a nice bell.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

As she is apparently a filth bag I would imagine she's thinking about sucking the chrome off it.