Looking at new bits

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

deject
Berk
Berk

Looking at new bits

Post by deject »

I'm thinking about putting together a new gaming computar based around the awesome new BitFenix Prodigy case. I've spent a bit of time looking into what I should put together and this is what I've come up with:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... r=18954932

If you're unfamiliar with the Prodigy, it's a Mini-ITX case designed with high performance components (i.e.: really long GPUs, super tall CPU coolers). Here's a good look in and around the case:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOi_vbyKLik[/media]

I think I have all my bases covered, but I just wanted to ping you lot and see if you have any suggestions. My plan is to put the 230mm fan in front,the 140mm fan in back, and move the two included 120mm fans to the top, if I can fit them both up there with the optical drive in. This case is really awesome and really all I'll be missing is a dedicated sound card with the parts I'm looking at. I might scavenge either the 1.5TB or 2TB drive out of my current PC to go with the 3TB, but I haven't decided. I'd like to keep this thing mostly intact so that I have a whole PC spare if needed.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Looking at new bits

Post by spoodie »

Something that I've thought of: Anyone caught wearing only a vest up top should be immediately launched into the heart of the sun.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

spoodie wrote:Something that I've thought of: Anyone caught wearing only a vest up top should be immediately launched into the heart of the sun.
I've never heard those called vests; we call them tank tops (or just tanks) here.

And I've just been looking at the mobo specs again, and it appears that the onboard audio supports DTS Connect, so really I can still get the 5.1 over optical audio I have now.
Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stoat »

deject wrote:I've never heard those called vests; we call them tank tops (or just tanks) here.
We differentiate by tog. He's wearing a vest; golfers wear tank tops.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Then there's body warmers further up the scale.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I was worried that I'd derailed deject's hardware thread, but it seems to have worked itself out.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

spoodie wrote:I was worried that I'd derailed deject's hardware thread, but it seems to have worked itself out.
:lol: I'm guessing that means I did my research pretty well then?
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Not sure why you'd need top fans if you upgraded the front and back ones, unless there are areas up there which wouldn't benefit from the front-to-back airflow. I guess it all helps, but I tend put things on top and to the side of my cases so try to keep the airflow simple.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Eh, why not?
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Personally I wouldn't bother with a fan directly above the optical drive, even if it fits. It'll probably just make a little more noise and not contribute much to the cooling.
Soonarmar
Squirrel
Squirrel

Post by Soonarmar »

God, that is a nice case. I was recommended it a while back as my Nexus Edge is fucking massive and I need something more practical for LANs, but I can't bring myself to start the hassle :pie:
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

spoodie wrote:Personally I wouldn't bother with a fan directly above the optical drive, even if it fits. It'll probably just make a little more noise and not contribute much to the cooling.
Yeah that's true. I suppose I can either not get the 140mm or just leave out one of the included 120mm's.