Seagate RMA silliness.

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Seagate RMA silliness.

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Seriously, wanna RMA a drive? Do this.

I'm used to just wrapping drives up in whatever crap is to hand and RMAing them with WD, this is just overkill.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Seagate RMA silliness.

Post by FatherJack »

Here are my revised instructions:

deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:Seriously, wanna RMA a drive? Do this.

I'm used to just wrapping drives up in whatever crap is to hand and RMAing them with WD, this is just overkill.
IBM/Hitachi have similar RMA requirements. I was lucky originally that I had acceptable packaging on hand, and I've just kept the return packaging handy in case I ever need to RMA another drive.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I keep all the boxes for my computer bits (makes old parts easier to store/sell on), so this isn't an issue for me as such, but those are some silly RMA requirements.

The cynical part of me thinks it's so they can cut down on replacement costs: "Ah, I see you didn't follow our instructions on how to package RMA's Sir. Sorry, but we're not replacing it, you can have your old one back though".
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

buzzmong wrote:The cynical part of me thinks it's so they can cut down on replacement costs: "Ah, I see you didn't follow our instructions on how to package RMA's Sir. Sorry, but we're not replacing it, you can have your old one back though".
That's pretty much my suspicion.

I usually do keep hardware boxes, but a lot of stuff has been dumped given I've moved twice in 2 years.