SLA Industries: Hunting the Machine

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Re: SLA Industries: Hunting the Machine

Post by The Shutting Downs »

I was just looking at the 'Reputation' table, and it says that at rep 4 I may approach a scl 5 sponsor, or have I read it entirely wrong?

It's also why I'm looking at the subsidy line rather than Karma itself.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Ah yes, I rewrote the rules didn't I? Sorry, I'm stuck on my iPad at the moment so I don't have my normal resources. I'll have to look when I get home, I need to remind myself how it works.
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

:likesitall:
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Found it on the 5punk wiki. The reputation the top table refers to is public image. You still need to meet the SCL requirement for the sponsorship (although I would reduce that by a point for a subsidiary), but you also need the public image to attract them.
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

So SCL 9A, Public Image +3, Karma Rep +4

I'd still be off by a few wouldn't I.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

You'd need to be SCL6 (normally 5 for Karma, but reduced by 1 for just touting Stormer Configuration), and have 5 public image with no other sponsors. You also need 3 reputation with Karma, which you have. If you hit the Third Eye circuit up a bit more the only real issue is the SCL. I could put in more Silver BPNs if the squad wants to move in that direction, or you could pick up Hunter Sheets between BPNs (Nightfall have made umpteen Hunter Sheets).

EDIT: And of course there's the Contract Circuit where SCL is no longer an issue, but that would be a complete change of campaign.
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Step 2 ws going to be get Hal in to negotiate, I think the squad is getting some decent footage on it's non silver BPN's for someone to want to show us off, and Eraser is happy to be on camera anyway.

If Joose continues with Hal, then I say we should go a bit silver, just to give him a chance to shine with his business skills.

What do the rest of you think?
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I'm using my 5 XP for the long overdue upgrade of Detect from 4 -> 5

Here's my up to date character sheet: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/98699/deject-new.xls

I'm fine with working in some more Silvers, it gives us more of a chance to roleplay our characters and focus less on poorly stumbling through investigations.
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

5xp - I'll go to school again then and up my Acrobatics to 3, and like a moron I didn't realise I do have the auto-support skill, so I'll get some retraining in that and go to 2.

I will also drop 16 credits on 6 shot rounds for the mangler and 8 credits on 2 slug rounds (making 12 of each on the list), 15c on a new frag grenade (back up to 2 of those), 20c on 2 'riot' Gas grenades, and finally 5c for a laser painter on the mangler.

So subtracting the 270c for the surgery I'm on 289c
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I'm not spending anything for the moment, I'm busy saving up. Apart from my investments, which I'm going to start dabbling in. On that note:

How exactly does investing work? Can I invest for the other people on the team, and if so how?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Stocks and Shares
Operatives often invest in stocks to make their spare cash work for them. Usually they will get a financier to deal with all the paperwork, but many Business package Ops actually dabble themselves. If an Op wants to get a financier to deal with his stocks, the financier will give him monthly reports and the opportunity to reap any profits. If the Op chooses not to, the financier will simply take his percentage of the profits and re-invest the rest. If the Op wants to sell some shares, however, the financier will take a cut and give the Op the remaining profits. The broker’s fee varies, depending on the skill of the financier, but always involves a set fee. As a rough guide, the fee is usually ten times the financier's Business Finance skill and the monthly percentage is usually two times the financier's skill. If a character wants to dabble himself, he doesn't pay any fees but is probably not going to make as big a profit and has modifications according to his Business Administration skill. An Op is required to have a trade license before he can invest on the stock market himself, which is limited to the Business package.

Every month, a Business Finance roll is made to find out how well the shares are doing. The amount above or below 11 is equal to a 2% profit or loss on the amount invested. If an Op is managing his own shares a Business Administration roll must first be made, and if the total is 11+ the transactions are worked out in the normal way. SLA, however, is notoriously awkward when it comes to giving money away and there are many bureaucratic traps to fall into. If the Op fails his Business administration roll, the transactions get lost in the red tape and the shares are frozen for that month. If at any point a double one is rolled, something has gone terribly wrong. Another roll should be made with the amount rolled being used as an additional loss of 5% per point.

http://www.5punk.co.uk/wiki/index.php?t ... and_Shares
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:The amount above or below 11 is equal to a 2% profit or loss on the amount invested.
Just to check im reading this right: In other words, for every 1 above/below 11 you get an additional 2% difference? So 12 would be 2% increase, 13 would be 4% increase, etc and 10 would be 2% loss, 9 would be 4% loss, etc.

So can I do investments for the rest of the team too? Do I do separate rolls for their money, or do I just take the money off them, roll the dice and split the profits accordingly?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Joose wrote:Just to check im reading this right: In other words, for every 1 above/below 11 you get an additional 2% difference? So 12 would be 2% increase, 13 would be 4% increase, etc and 10 would be 2% loss, 9 would be 4% loss, etc.

So can I do investments for the rest of the team too?

Yep and yep.
Joose wrote:Do I do separate rolls for their money, or do I just take the money off them, roll the dice and split the profits accordingly?
Up to you and the others how you want to do it. It's designed that you do them individually, but there's nothing to stop you all pooling your resources.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Groovy, I'll be doing some of that then. Doing it individually is probably less complicated. Anyone want to throw money at me so I can turn it into more money? I wont be doing it for free, but I'll offer you a lot better deal than going to outside sources :)

In fact, lets see...
As a rough guide, the fee is usually ten times the financier's Business Finance skill and the monthly percentage is usually two times the financier's skill.
So if I were Random Financier Man, my fee would be 70 credits and the monthly percentage would be 14%, so lets say I set the Mates Rates price at no fee and 10% monthly (rounded up). I'm presuming that's 10% of the profit, not of the total. 10% of the total would be gouging you hard :lol: That sound fair to people?
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Well, Lets say you sell Eraser on your 'Mad Skillz' and he lets you invest 250 of his hard earned creds, lets see how this works out :)
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Dirk shall likewise make a 250 investment - needs the cash!
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Yeah count me in for 250c as well.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

You guys probably want to make a note too just to be on the safe side, but I've added an Investments page to my character sheet to keep track of all this. I'm sticking in 250 of my own cash too.

Grim, you want in?