PS3 gathering dust?

News and important info, general banter, and suggestions for 5punk

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

PS3 gathering dust?

Post by Lateralus »

Right, I know this is quite a long shot, but does anyone happen to have a PS3 gathering dust that they might want to swap so that they can have a 360 gathering dust instead? I'm a bit bored of my xbox now and all the games that are currently tickling my fancy are PS3 only. I have a few games plus guitar hero guitar and drums, so if anyone fancies a console swap and wants more info then let me know.

I suspect I know the answer, but shy bairns get nowt! Also, sorry for the pseudo-spam.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Out of curiosity which PS3 exclusives are you interested in?
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

GT5 is top of the list, but also Heavy Rain and LittleBigPlanet 2. However, as two of my good mates who have now moved away each have PS3s, the ability to play Fifa with them is also quite a lure. I think that most of the other games I play, such as Rockstar stuff and Guitar hero, are cross-platform.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I have both, so won't be taking you up, but can offer some insight on the systems merits for anyone considering it.

From a purely games perspective, if I had to pick one, it would be the 360. It has a massive back catalogue and a huge selection of free/cheap games in the arcade. PSN is starting to catch up with the downloadable titles, with a lot of retro games and by setting up US/Japanese accounts you can sample a few games you wouldn't be able to otherwise. Even though I've been buying the PS3 versions of multi-platform games, I still have more than twice as many games on the 360.

As far as system-exclusives go, there isn't a lot I can see between them.
The PS3 has Gran Turismo 5, Killzone, Resistance, God of War, Metal Gear and Uncharted as what you might call mainstream games, with Atelier Rorona, Disgaea, Heavy Rain, Little Big Planet, Valkyria Chronicles and Yakuza as more quirky titles.
The 360 boasts Forza (new one soon), Gears of War, Halo, Fable, Crackdown and PGR as big names, with Alan Wake, Blue Dragon, Losy Odyssey, Viva Pinata, Magnacarta and Infinite Undiscovery as more niche - along with my favourite JRPG of all time Tales of Vesparia.

As far as cross-platform games go, there are a few to look out for. Final Fantasy XIII is reportedly a terrible port on the 360, and the Orange Box has huge load times on the PS3. Only an example, I'm sure there are others.

From a usability perpective, the 360 makes social stuff a lot easier, but the main menu on the PS3 is much better. Both will play media shared from a PC/Media Centre.

As for extras while the 360 has some twitter, last.fm and FaceBook features it only has Sky's Ripoff Player, so the PS3 wins hands-down. It has BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Five's effort, a bunch of movie and photo gallery editors to dick around in, handy tools for PSP integration and of course its trump card is that it's a rather good BluRay player.

While I've seen BluRay players as cheap as £50 in Tesco, I guess most people who have one use their PS3 - so it'd be a tough sell getting them to swap with a 360. However, if they only use it for playing games I think it's a better deal than it might appear.
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

Cheers FJ, I always value a 5punker's opinion far more than other random sites. Guess I'll just wait and see if anyone responds to a couple of ads I've posted then.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

Just a slight addition to FJ's note, PS3 has a web browser too and intergrates very well with Youtube, infact Youtube.com/xl is bit purely for PS3 and Wii like browsers.

I've got both but my xbawx never sees any action at all.