Brink

Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Brink

Post by spoodie »

This is getting a mixed reception. However it still sounds like a game I'd get some enjoyment from. I only paid £20 so I wont feel so bad if it doesn't grab me. The worst reviews are from the console platforms so hopefully it works better on the PC, with players more used to dealing with complex, team-based objectives.
Last edited by spoodie on May 14th, 2011, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

It's been a very quiet release hasn't it? I'm interested in hearing what you think.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Dog Pants wrote:It's been a very quiet release hasn't it?
I'm sure I've seen some mainstream advertising, but it's certainly kept quiet on the gaming sites, etc. Which seems they're aiming at the wrong audience considering the apparent complexity of it. The only reason I'm well aware of it is because I've taken a special interest and followed it closely. Quake Wars had some nice ideas, if not much fun.

It didn't arrive today. :(
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Dog Pants wrote:It's been a very quiet release hasn't it?
I did that in a lift the other day.
Killavodka
Cheese Lord
Cheese Lord

Post by Killavodka »

So far out of the hour-ish I've played it's been fun, if you discount the the last 3 rounds where every time I joined a public game the server was diabolical.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I've had a lot of fun with it so far. I am thinking they're going to need to get more content in the game fairly soon, because there are only 8 maps and they are good, but you can figure them out fairly quickly.

Also, turrets are only slightly better than worthless. Lame.
Shada
Shambler
Shambler

Post by Shada »

The gameplay is amazing when the game actually works. It was bad enough that Black Ops didn't work when it came out, but now Brink too? :(

It's playable now after a couple ATi hotfixes and a patch, but it still stutters. Still, it's fun as hell being a Light dude in a paintball mask sprinting and sliding about spraying bullets everywhere
Davius
Ferret
Ferret

Post by Davius »

Roman Totale wrote:
I did that in a lift the other day.

:lol:
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

unfortunately its disapeared from the steam store so i cant purchase it if the whim takes me
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

shot2bits wrote:unfortunately its disapeared from the steam store so i cant purchase it if the whim takes me
That's strange. I've had a quick look and there's no official response as to why.

I've put in over 4 hours and enjoying it. The criticisms I've seen focus on the singleplayer experience, which can be poor due to the AI. It's a complex game and expecting an AI to perform as well as a semi-competent human seems unfair. However if you bought the game with the expectation of the solid singleplayer experience you usually get in shooters (not an unreasonable assumption), then you will be disappointed.

If you are willing to play all your games open to other players then it begins to shine. The SMART environment navigating system work well, it looks good, sounds good and you soon get your head around what you're supposed to be doing. Perhaps with the help of the copious video tutorials. Although I don't think the shooting people mechanic is as deep as your CODs and BFs. And I have doubts for the longevity, considering what people have said about the maps. I've still got quite a lot of stuff I can unlock, so that'll help.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

shot2bits wrote:unfortunately its disapeared from the steam store so i cant purchase it if the whim takes me
?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/22350/
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

its only gone from the uk store, everywhere else is fine, that link just gives the oops sorry an error has occured page
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I think it's related to a serial key issue, I heard that people who ordered it from the UK Direct2Drive store are having issues getting their serial keys.