Battle LA: (take the loo roll with you)

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Battle LA: (take the loo roll with you)

Post by Anery »

We were meant to go and see Rango, now I wish we had stuck to the original plan.

Battle LA is a mixed up movie, it seems incapable of deciding what it is supposed to be; is it a sci-fi movie? is it an action movie? is it a military movie? is it a hoo-ya we love america movie? It manages to hit all those points they way a drunk darts player only just manages to not stab you in the eye. Watch this movie and you will be wishing the metaphorical lush had succeded.
To make matters worse the writers seemed to have been intent on fitting as many movie cliches as possible - the inexperienced officer who has to prove himself, the experienced battle hardened SSgt with a dark past he must come to grips with, the alien that's dead but not dead, the cas-evac getting blow up, Michelle Rodriguez with a gun... at one point I remember sitting there scratching off characters as they appeared on screen "he's gonna die, he's gonna die, he's gonna die" and I was thankful, the actiing was wooden at best and just damn annoying the rest of the time, I felt sorry for the aliens.
Which brings me to a part of the film that I found particularly insulting,
Spoiler:
a wounded alien is captured and the soldiers and a vet decide to find out how to kill it better by disecting it whilst it was still alive, at the same time two marines observing enemy movements comment on how the aliens are just soldiers like them - come on, you can't have it both ways. Either be good ethical soldiers or be nasty twats, pick a side. Perhaps what was more worrying was the way the entire squad of marines plus the compulsory pretty doctor/vet seemed to accept this,
I'm pretty damn sure Aaron Eckhart should be done for war crimes.
Not that Eckhart is anything like a good soldier, first deployment against the aliens seens the marines running through the streets like kids chasing a football - any alien worth his CGI bill could have picked them all off with one shot, although sadly they seem hampered by lapses of intelligence at cruicial moments and boosted to almost competancy at others, usually coupled with an invincible power up - a forgivable sin had the rest of the movie been able to draw me in.

All in all a shit movie, the only way I would recommend anyboy seeing this movie with their own eyes would be when found in a 99p bargain bin and used as a drinking game, take a shot when Aaron Eckhart looks masculine but troubled, take a shot everytime his dark past is hinted at, take a shot for every cliche seen... you would be blind drunk after the first half hour which would make the rest of the movie a lot better.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Does Michelle Rodriguez wear a wife beater in it? I think it's written into her contract.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Well the movie might be shit, but I enjoyed the review :lol:
Killavodka
Cheese Lord
Cheese Lord

Post by Killavodka »

:above: :lol:
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I went to see this determined to enjoy it in some way. I failed.

The film is just boring and I struggle to think of anything positive to say about it. The best visuals were shown off in the trailers, in whole or part. The camera work is annoying shakycam, extreme close-up for the entirety of the film. The aliens have about as much personality as the lowest form of bullet fodder in any generic FPS. Only they don't seem too bothered by bullets. The humans have slightly more personality, but nowhere near enough to care about them in any way. I was glad when it was over.
Last edited by spoodie on March 15th, 2011, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

Dog Pants wrote:Well the movie might be shit, but I enjoyed the review :lol:
:lol: :above:

I was vaguely considering seeing this, despite the fact it's not the type of film to which I'm naturally drawn, but now I will give it a wide berth. Ta!