CoD: BlOps

Console/PC game reviews by 5punkers

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Chickenz
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Chickenz »

Whats the deal with prestiging? Does everthing reset?
Shada
Shambler
Shambler

Post by Shada »

You lose everything except for emblem layers and logos. Money, guns, etc., all gone. So buy emblem layers, backgrounds, logos and the emblem/clan tag customisations for each gun before you hit prestige if you have money leftover.

You gain a class slot every odd level you prestige and get access to new facepaints, gold camo and some emblems as you go along so it's only good if you like leveling up, really.
Shada
Shambler
Shambler

Post by Shada »

So - hardcore mode, or core mode?
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Shada wrote:So - hardcore mode, or core mode?
Hardcore, no question.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Shada wrote:So - hardcore mode, or core mode?
Core mode, no question.

I like the radar and I don't like that hardcore mode makes some equipment and killstreaks pointless.
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

Core, really. Being the RTS person I am, I have a different sort of reflex than the FPS people, and since in hardcore, pretty much every wound is a fatal one I really don't stand a chance. Core TDM is pretty bad too for me in the same way, but way more playable. I like core domination and demolition, they involve some very little tactics and people are less busy reflex-shooting me to death.

Also, you really can't say there's way more radar in Core than in Hardcore really, since there's probably always counter-spy planes in zee air.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

I think I prefered Hardcore in MW1, if this is anything like that.
Unloading an entire clip into someone's face to kill them felt a bit excessive.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Oddly enough, I prefer hardcore over core, as I seem to shoot too slow to kill people in core
Shada
Shambler
Shambler

Post by Shada »

Hardcore mode in MW1 was good because there wasn't much in the way of equipment, it was mostly gun/grenade play. In Black Ops though motion sensors become completely useless and radar jammers and counterspies become extremely situational. It's good to counter-spy someone as soon as they throw up a spy plane, but I often forget I have it sitting around and fail to use it before the map ends, and placeable jammers go from blocking a huge sphere of radar to being only useful for disabling claymores.

On the flip side though, nova gas becomes 2 hit kill if you can get someone caught in it. I also like the much slower pacing of hardcore mode, there's a lot less chance of being knifed by some bullet sponging sprinting man. It gets on my nerves eventually though and I have to go back to core.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I should probably try some more hardcore. Non-hardcore is certainly no Halo, in terms of the amount of shots it takes to kill someone, but a slower paced game could be refreshing. Just got to remember to setup equipment and killstreaks that aren't rendered useful by the mode.
Shada
Shambler
Shambler

Post by Shada »

oh

Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Well, your owner is right to not let you use a computer, it's not a thing for cats to do.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Cat like pwning detected.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Pretty much meets my expectations. Oddly enough, PCG had a similar graph in the Jan edition, but the line was fairly level and bore no resemblance to reality apart from the drop in COD3. For shame, PCG. After all the bad mouthing of the series after COD4, you used that to only illustrate how little you thought of Blops.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I finally got around to playing the campaign and found it quite fun. Nonsense story but shooting people with various kinds of guns was enjoyable enough. Apart from the small, broken stealth bit. Which I had to look up a video on how to get passed it as it didn't make sense.

Multiplayer is still good fun, for a quick blast now and then.