For the 6 of you who don't have warcraft...

Massively Mongy Online gaming. Bum your way through the internet public.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

I tried it, a few classes, a few start points etc. But the lower level quests in the areas I had with my expansions all seemed to be fairly similar in quest type.

I found far more variation as I got further in, but I mainly persevered at that because peeps like Berk and Wiggy would run me through dungeons and we'd tit about and it was fun for the social thing. WoW has far more choice than any other mmo (excepting maybe chimps) and they're made to a higher standard, but they're still there and they're the obvious quests that if you've not played before you don't know about skipping and changing areas etc.

The art style is meh to me, I don't dislike it but I really pay very little attention to it, unlike in aids where I regularly stopped on some cliff face to admire the digital beauty.

Combat is hands off and as such doesn't grab me, pressing buttons in various repeating loops got boring quite quickly.

WoW has been established too long now for me to feel anything other than a casual watcher, there's been all the expansions and release events and the lore and such, it's generated a set of people that may not be elitist but their level of game specific geekery confounds me.

Time and money are more of a factor for me now too, I just don't have enough of either to warrant paying out on a sub, only to see me fall another game expansion behind.

Try as I might I just couldn't avoid looking at chat and foaming at the utter drivel some people wrote. That some people can argue so vociferously over such small things as where points should go in builds or which bit of purple spangly stuff is best scared me and I didn't want to get sucked in, because I'm a beard and despite my reservations about various parts of the game I probably would.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

I dont want to play it because of monthly subsciption fees and its MGFL :P
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Joose wrote: Personally, I like the character that the WoW art gives things, which I often find lacking in games that go for a more "realistic" look
I agree with this. Warcraft gets a bad reputation for everyone looking the same, even from me back when I reviewed it, but comparing it to many other RPG-style games it's leaps ahead in customisation - Titan Quest is the latest game to make me feel the comparison, but Oblivion also struck the same chord recently.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

I dunno, there's just something about it that creeps me out.
Like it's a cartoon.

I prefer <a href="http://www.vivagoal.com/images/wallpape ... g">this</a> to <a href="http://www.stuffwelike.com/stuffwelike/ ... g">this</a>.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

DAS IST VERBOTEN!
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

You feeling okay, Pete?
Davius
Ferret
Ferret

Post by Davius »

HereComesPete wrote:DAS IST VERBOTEN!
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Grimmie wrote:I dunno, there's just something about it that creeps me out.
Like it's a cartoon.

I prefer <a href="http://www.vivagoal.com/images/wallpape ... g">this</a> to <a href="http://www.stuffwelike.com/stuffwelike/ ... g">this</a>.
Did you get that screenshot from 4 years ago or something?

The art style is still similar, but the game looks really good these days, ver nice graphics.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Well yeah, but that's because GW2 looks awesome. However it's also not out yet. Warcraft has a creepy aspect to it mainly because of peoples' behaviour, which is associated with (especially Alliance) characters. In character weddings make me want to quit the game and never admit to having played it.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:Did you get that screenshot from 4 years ago or something?
Nope. 6 years ago. I remember that screenshot, it was used in many things, including (iirc) some of the original reviews.

So yeah, comparing a years old screenshot of a game thats been massively overhauled several times since to a screenshot of a game that hasn't even come out yet may not have been the best way to make a convincing argument :lol:

EDIT: and, having said that....yeah. Not at all creepy.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Woah woah woah, hang on now. I didn't hand pick good and bad screenshots or anything.
I just put "World of warcraft" and "Guild wars" into google image search.

Sheesh.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Phwoar, would.
Akiakaiu
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Akiakaiu »

I'll be checking it out again just to see what's going on now.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

deject wrote:Aside from my general aversion to MMOs, I haven't seen anything about WoW that interests me. The story is some amateur fantasy shit and it just looks dumb. I'm not saying that you shouldn't play it, but I will never understand the appeal of WoW and there is no way I'm going to spend $15/month to find out.
:above:

This, but with kinder words.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Ah yes. Having familiarised myself somewhat with the Warcraft story I think amateur isn't something that can be applied to it, considering many stories of the genre are painfully trite. It just probably isn't all that apparent when you're collecting bear's arses.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

Don't mock collecting bear ass. It can be very challenging when they don't all have one (not to mention intriguing).
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

One objection gamers could have against WoW is that it eclipses all other MMOs. Each new MMO is compared with the current state of WoW and it's an unfair benchmark.
Shada
Shambler
Shambler

Post by Shada »

Yeah, MMOs either try to go up against WoW and call themselves WOWKILLERS (and fail, because everyone goes back to WoW), or try to pretend WoW doesn't exist and offer something new (and fail, because everyone goes back to WoW)
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

(Generalisations inc)

It's sad that the MMO genre has been defined by the generic fantasy leveling, dungeoning, questing, talent-ing model. MMO shouldn't be a genre, it should be a feature applied to whatever genre a developer feels like. Unfortunately most of them have no guts to break the battered, lifeless corpse of a model it has become.

Edit: Ninjad Joose's spot!
Last edited by Thompy on November 25th, 2010, 12:25, edited 2 times in total.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

That's a good argument for WoW being bad for mmo games in general, and one I agree with entirely. It's not really a reason to not want to play the game yourself though. You can only get away with saying "I hate it because it's too well made and popular" if you have an emo fringe and do your shirt up all the way to the top. :lol:

This has made me have interesting thoughts about quest design in rpg's though. I'll start a new fred for that though.