For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

News Reader
Salmon Ninja Pirate Gayer
Salmon Ninja Pirate Gayer

Blade Re-Runner

Post by News Reader »

Image Blade Re-Runner
We look back at one of the best computer games nobody ever talks about, Blade Runner.Image

Category: PC
Publish Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 12:11:14 +0000
Read more...

Source: bit-tech.net Feed
Description: Computer hardware, games and technology reviews and news
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I bought the 25th Ed. Blu-Ray and I gotta say it looks amazing and it's still one of the best sci-fi movies ever.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

And very influential. I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep once and was disappointed it didn't have the dark and grimy atmosphere of Blade Runner. Shame I never played the game, I just don't think I could muster the money for it at the time for it to compete with the big releases.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Conversely I prefer the book over the film. I like the atmosphere of the film, but I always feel that they missed the point.

That said, Roy Batty's "I've seen..." speech in the film is spot on and well in keeping with the crux of the plot. Did Hauer write that bit himself?
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Roman Totale wrote: keeping with the crux of the plot. Did Hauer write that bit himself?
Improv if rumours are to be believed. I doubt it though as it seems too well polished to be improv.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

On a related note, I've always loved this:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3w-cY32txU[/media]

First time I heard it I listened to it about 10 times. That end key harmonisation is especially spine tingling.

He has some other good stuff, mostly covers. I'm not into synth stuff as such, and a lot of it is very 80s sci-fi movie style, but it's beautiful in parts. Perfect for headphones.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I watched the Bluray final cut version recently, still amazing and one of my favourite films. It came with a DVD full of one documentary, over three hours long I think. I managed 20 mins.

I played the game back in the day. I think I got stuck and gave up. There was no easy way of looking up the solution back then.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

It's a long time since I've watched the film, over 20 years, but I still remember it very clearly. I've been put off in recent years by all the fuss about which is supposedly the "correct" version.

I assume what I saw was the "International Cut", given this was between the mid-80s on UK TV and 1991 on either UK TV or Sky and lacked not profanity, nudity, violence nor the voice-over.

Don't remember the game at all, but I was never a massive fan of point-and-click adventures.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

That voice-over is horrifyingly bad. The "Final Cut" is really good though. I definitely prefer it over the others.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

What's the difference between the cuts? I have the director's cut (which I also saw at the cinema in the 90s) but I can't remember any other version. I'd be tempted to buy a better one if common concensus points towards a different one.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Dog Pants wrote:What's the difference between the cuts? I have the director's cut (which I also saw at the cinema in the 90s) but I can't remember any other version. I'd be tempted to buy a better one if common concensus points towards a different one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner#Versions
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Well I could have googled it myself, I was more canvassing for opinion.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Honestly you can ignore all of them save the Final Cut. It's the best of the lot. The US Theatrical release is the shitty one with the shit voice over and forced happy ending.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

The multi-disc ultimate edition contains all the different versions, the final cut has a lot of stuff that got chopped but it still doesn't have every scene from every version iirc.

And roy batty still sounds like he should be some old geezer from coronation street.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Dog Pants wrote:Well I could have googled it myself, I was more canvassing for opinion.
Presumably you want an idea of whether it's worth buying the final cut version, as you already have the directors cut? I'm not sure it would be, unless you want to see it in HD or you're really into the film. As deject said the early versions are the bad ones.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Yeah I think the Director's Cut and the Final Cut are pretty close, so I wouldn't re-buy it, but if you don't have it, and want it, get the Final Cut.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

spoodie wrote: Presumably you want an idea of whether it's worth buying the final cut version, as you already have the directors cut?
Pretty much, unless there was a better one. Cheers guys, I'll probably just try to watch the one I have again.