Massive WoW Patch 4.0.1

Massively Mongy Online gaming. Bum your way through the internet public.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

You won't, we're all too cool* for that.

*downtrodden
Guybrush
Unicorn
Unicorn

Post by Guybrush »

Mages seem well OP atm but it seems they are balanced for level 85 - not that I am complaining now as my DPS has gone up lots!

:D
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Anery wrote:Warlocks get some funky stuffs too, mine is level 62 and gets some new summons (doomguard?) and your pets are now selectable from a pop up list, much like a shamens totems.

Hunters can now carry up to 5 pets with them wherever they go, so no more stabling them and having to retrieve them for different situations, just summon another one.

Not really played any of the other classes much since the patch (apart from DK and as Berk said, DK tanking = fucked)
The Warlock summons were always there depending on the talents you chose, but you seem to get them all pretty early on, even the Felguard as soon as you pick the Demonology tree, whereas it used to be ~L50. The Doomguard was a side-effect of the Curse of Doom spell (L60) and the Infernal was available at L50, which they've also thankfully dropped the Infernal Stones reagent requirement for. They also both just dispel when they time out, rather than turning on you like an enslaved demon.
I guess this means the quests to catch 'em all are gone too, a shame as they were rather fun, if bastard hard compared to the equivalent-level mage quests which typically involved reading a book of some sort.

The hunter pets one is nice, as with my new hunter I've been a bit of a collector. Pets no longer get sad when you switch them out using the 5 slots you can carry, but lose all their talents when you stable them. The stable slots aren't available until higher levels*, and I'm a little miffed I dropped 200G on buying the pre-patch ones, but other than the gold I guess there's no net loss. Not having ammo is kind of good, though I did take engineering specifically to create it, but it's early enough not to matter much.

* (Edit: I had this the wrong way round, you get the stable slots free, but the carry-with-you slots are only available at higher levels)

My new mage is a little dull now, they've seem to have (as with a lot of other classes) dropped most of the armour-type buffs that you had to recast every half-hour or so, and just upped their HP to compensate. I used to use Healbot to keep them up, which I kind of liked doing.

In general the changes seem to be about balancing things out at base level - such that there are no longer little things you do to give yourself an edge, like crafting powerful ammo or remembering to keep your buffs up. Makes it less elitist I suppose, but takes away the enjoyment you got from learning to play your class.

I do like the Warlock changes. The new "hit them with a meteor" spell is fun and Soul Shards as they were will not be missed. I get that bag slot back and there's now an out-of-combat spell which not only refills the new-style non-inventory-clogging soul shards but heals you pretty much 100%. It's never been a better time to roll a Warlock and try out all those toys and demons.
Last edited by FatherJack on October 19th, 2010, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

If there's no ammo has the crafting been overhauled as well?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Dog Pants wrote:If there's no ammo has the crafting been overhauled as well?
Tweaked a bit, but not a huge amount.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I have absolutely no clue what to do with my DK. I was unholy, for levelling and had planned to go DPS, which was kind of blood but blood is now Tank. Prob go unholy again and just wait until it's time to get those extra levels before bothering with it again. More interested in my Warlock, now.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

Blood hasn't been a primary DPS spec for a long time. Unholy and frost are much more accessible, with blood only at very high end gear. Of course I've always been an advocate of "play what you find fun" even at high end raiding.

Give frost a go?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

This.

As I understand it, unholy is more disease and pet based.

Frost is more button mashy.