Albums.

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Albums.

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I've been on a bit of an album binge recently as shuffle hasn't been doing it for me.

I've come to the conclusion that albums are really very good, and have a nice flow to them, everyone should listen to more albums. So there.
Jackinabox
Kitten
Kitten

Post by Jackinabox »

Yes, listen to Deftones - Diamond Eyes & Darwin Deez (Self-Titled) in Full

It is funny when albums with a sense of prog mean that listening in shuffle confuses the hell out of you. i.e. Mars Volta - Deloused in the Crematorium

Though this argument does sound like my music tech lecturers who whinge about digital and want analog tape recording back before teaching us an hours worth of Pro Tools :S
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I will always be a fan ofthe album. When the songs compliment each other it leads to something better than its parts. Singles are all well and good but they cannot reach the same heights.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I nearly always listen to music in album form. I will occasionally stick shuffle on, but only to expose me to things I haven't heard in a while. Usually I will take it off shuffle again after a few songs to listen to an album its stumbled across.
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Re: Albums.

Post by tandino »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:I've been on a bit of an album binge recently as shuffle hasn't been doing it for me.

I've come to the conclusion that albums are really very good, and have a nice flow to them, everyone should listen to more albums. So there.
OK! I'll do it now. *puts faithless album on*
Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stoat »

I often find that my favourite tracks are ones I didn't like so much immediately, which is where buying individual tracks you've only sampled falls down a bit.
On the other hand it's harder to pump out an album with filler, so hopefully we all win :)
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

Joose wrote:I nearly always listen to music in album form. I will occasionally stick shuffle on, but only to expose me to things I haven't heard in a while. Usually I will take it off shuffle again after a few songs to listen to an album its stumbled across.
Very much this. :above: Mrs Lat always used to listen to CDs on shuffle mode and it really bugged me, but I rarely use shuffle on spotify or anything either.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

*Throws a cat among the pigeons*

I tend to pull tracks out of albums and stick them together into sets I like. There's usually a quantity of songs on an album that just don't inspire me, so I cut them out and replace them with good songs from another album. Not all albums (Daft Punk and The Prodigy being notable exceptions), but many.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

I'm probably in between DP and the rest, although this is maybe what most of you are meaning - I cut out the songs I don't like from an album, but I'll listen to the songs I do like altogether and in order, not shuffled in with other albums.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Stoat wrote:I often find that my favourite tracks are ones I didn't like so much immediately, which is where buying individual tracks you've only sampled falls down a bit.
On the other hand it's harder to pump out an album with filler, so hopefully we all win :)
This has happened to me so many times. There are so many songs that at first listen don't seem all that great but after you give them a chance they become awesome.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

WereRabbit wrote:I'm probably in between DP and the rest, although this is maybe what most of you are meaning - I cut out the songs I don't like from an album, but I'll listen to the songs I do like altogether and in order, not shuffled in with other albums.

I used to do exactly this, but like Deej and Toast I discovered a few gems on albums I've had for ages that I'd never given the chance.

At the moment however I've got spotify on radio mode, I've not found any band that are instantly amazing but I have noted a few that are worth a closer look.
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

D'y'know, I never noticed that feature before.

*Investigates*
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

I see it as Concept Album vs 'mish mash of songs lol I made album'

The first (Pink Floyd, Enigma, Greenday etc) can only really be listened to in full album mode. The rest are merely a collection of songs to which you get used to listening in a certain order.