WOW UIs

Massively Mongy Online gaming. Bum your way through the internet public.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

WOW UIs

Post by Lateralus »

I know we have a post about addons already, but was just reading something on another site somewhere (may have been elitest jerks) and people seem to have all sorts of variations on the UI. I'm just using the basic one plus a few of the addons that have been recommended here, but what do you guys do with regards to the UI? Are there any alterations you've made that you've found particularly useful?
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Lateralus wrote:I know we have a post about addons already, but was just reading something on another site somewhere (may have been elitest jerks) and people seem to have all sorts of variations on the UI. I'm just using the basic one plus a few of the addons that have been recommended here, but what do you guys do with regards to the UI? Are there any alterations you've made that you've found particularly useful?
To be quite honest, the level at which we play WoW together doesn't require any major modding of the UI. I use Grid on my main but that is because it is easier to manage a 25 or 40 man raid with it. I would recommend something like Fubar or Titan bar, these are bars that you can display at the top of bottom of the screen and download addons for that will display various stas for you - armour percentage, gold, map co-ords... Some people also like to view all their bags as one big bag instead of seperately, some don't.
Thats about all you would need really, the issue UI is pretty good.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Anery wrote:Words
:above: all of that.

but I like bartender 4, because it lets me have lots, and lots, and lots of buttons, which works well for my mongy brain.

Though I didn't even bother with that until fairly recently, due to running out of brain space with my DK.

Probably also worth remembering that elitistjerks is populated by people who give a shit. not people like us, who in lv80 dungeons, rely on the tactic "get 'im"
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Since I just did a UI post for the The Firm, have a cross post:

Clickeh for Buggereh!

Note the use of Grid to show low mana for healers (<60%), Bartender4 for quick and easy hotkey assignments, and Elkano's Buff Bars to put important cooldowns at eye level near my character bar.

This is fairly advanced interfarse footling for raiding but for normal gameplay there's no real need to go to quite this extent, just gives an idea of what you can do though.
Chickenz
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Chickenz »

Not really a UI as such but I like Carbonite Quest.

Gives you a direction arrow for pointing out where to go, adds a layer to the map with a rough highlighted area of where the items are for quests and adds a load more info.

http://addon.hotwow.com/addon/addon_33.html
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

That looks okay. Wonder how it compares to QuestHelper.
Chickenz
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Chickenz »

I've used both and I prefer Carbonite. Can't remember why, think it had something to do wuth being able to check the big map and see all the different zones without having to click on stuff, that and I could see guild mates on the map too.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Hmm, that's also useful. I might give that a go. Does it spazz out as much as QuestHelper?
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Updated UI. Although I'm dpsing here I use the same set up for tanking. I've changed some of the mods (Quartz instead of eCastingBar, and Deus Vox instead of BigWigs) but essentially the layout is the same.

The essence of what I've tried to achieve is it minimise crap in the middle of the screen so I can see what's going on, whilst keeping the important Need To Know stuff (like my health and key cooldowns) at eye level, so I can watch my character and the raid without having to focus on the button bar. Audio cues from boss mods helps as well.

Davius
Ferret
Ferret

Post by Davius »

Dog Pants wrote:Hmm, that's also useful. I might give that a go. Does it spazz out as much as QuestHelper?
Carbonite owns QH, its has better note features, logs whats in your bank on all chars, so you can check without logging, knows every node you've mined since you had the addon.

Its basically an allround addon, not just about quests. Though even if it was just about the quests, i still prefer it over QH.

though for levelling i didn't bother with carbonite as the tourguide and james lvling guides are far superior, then just install carbonite when you run out of guides at 80 :)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Just discovered ShockAndAwe for enhancement shamans. Tells you the cooldowns for all your stuff, keeps track of Maelstrom Weapon and Lightning Shield charges somewhere you can actually see them, and even cheats a bit by telling what's the best ability to use next for optimum DPS. Feels naughty, like many good things do.