Gordon's Great Escape

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Gordon's Great Escape

Post by Lateralus »

Gordon's Great Escape is where Mr Sweary goes off around India, learning new things about food and then cooking up something at the end of it. As a brief look at how cooking is done in India, it's ok, but rather light on actual cooking for a 90 minute programme.

It had good potential to really show people a bit more about the food and culture, but unfortunately Ramsay is just the wrong person to do it. In his shows in England, he's the expert in the kitchen, and so I feel inclined to forgive his attitude towards other people, especially when they're patently being idiots. However, he seems to forget that in India, he isn't the expert.

For example, he calls someone a pain in the arse to their face when they say his food isn't spicy enough, as if somehow they're the one in the wrong. Then at the end, when he's cooking in the kitchen of a restaurant which is supposedly well-know for being very good, he starts bitching about the lack of equipment and the fact that none of the other chefs speak English, as if somehow it's all a failing on their part. I didn't see him trying to speak Indian at any point.

English people abroad complaining about the locals not speaking English without any attempt to speak the local language themselves is a pet hate of mine, but Ramsay's overall approach seems rather patronising, and I just wish they'd done this show with someone else.

However, they do cook an entire goat (skinned, but with head and all attached), stuffed with chickens, stuffed with quail, stuffed with saffron-coated eggs.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Ramsay can fuck right off. I cant stand the guy. Its a shame, because I think I would actually enjoy a lot of his programs if they replaced the self satisfied tit with anyone else. I daresday he is an excellent cook, but his attitude makes me want to hunt him down and gouge his eyes out with a spork.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I mostly found the Indian stuff painful, but I did learn a bit, so I watched them all anyway. More bad travel tv than food tv.
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

Ramsay's attitude is excellent for realities, period.
stegner00

Post by stegner00 »

I love Gordon Ramsay. I think, to me anyway, his bad mouth adds to his appeal. And he's quite funny too. I like it when he's shown with his kids. He looks his happiest when he's with them.

Contact Center Philippines
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Question: What does Gordon Ramsay say in reaction to a spammer?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

It's a shame, this one's actually contributing constructive comments.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Grimmie wrote:Question: What does Gordon Ramsay say in reaction to a spammer?
He doesn't. He finds them, pins them down, then feeds them to the monsters living in the creases on his forehead.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Didn't the monsters get evicted with surgery?
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

When it comes to chefs going abroad to learn about other cultures and their food, Gordon Fucking Ramsay should have his passport removed. He seems somehow shocked that people in other cultures do things differently to how they're done in the UK. :shock: He managed to epitomise everything I dislike about how the British are or can be perceived by other people, being unnecessarily rude to total strangers, intolerant of their inability to speak English, and generally failing to amend his behaviour the slightest bit, no matter who he is talking to.

If you want to see a programme about other cultures from a foodie perspective, Jamie Does ... is far better, and far less rage inducing. He even appears to have stopped using the word pukka in his programmes, and when in Marrakech he spoke to the locals in French (albeit with a poor accent, but that's just me being picky - at least he tried).