Garry's Mod: Trouble in Terrorist Town

Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gunslinger42
Ninja
Ninja

Garry's Mod: Trouble in Terrorist Town

Post by Gunslinger42 »

I've been playing a game mode for gmod called "trouble in terrorist town", and finding it really fun. There's three types of player, innocents, traitors and detectives - there's one detective per game and one traitor per four innocents, the objective for the innocents and detectives are to figure out who the traitors are and to kill them or survive the round, traitors have to kill innocents and remain undetected. Traitors and detectives can buy items to help them, such as a flare gun to burn bodies (as inspecting dead bodies will tell you what weapon killed them, how long ago, and if you're a detective it'll tell you who they last saw before they died), a radio (to hide somewhere on the map and then produce sound effects like gunfire as distractions), etc.

It's good fun when you have people all accusing each other over the mic or trying to organise to work together (knowing that some of the people they're working with will inevitably be traitors). From what I've played, most people like to form little groups to stay safe, but when you end up with a group of 3 made of one innocent and two traitors then the traitors quickly kill the guy and burn or move the body. Another thing worth noting is that players don't show up as dead in the scoreboard until someone has found their body, so traitors working together or picking off lone targets and quickly hiding or destroying the evidence result in people not even knowing how many players are left in the game... and then they assume the ones they havent seen for a while or who aren't responding to questions are traitors and go off searching for them

The game mode itself is a pretty small download, you just need to join a server running it (it'll show "terrortown" as the game type in the server browser) and it'll get the files, but it needs gmod and cs:s to be installed and as with any gmod game most servers have a bunch of custom maps (though some just play on cs:s maps)

I think it'd be a laugh playing with some 5punkers, and I've enjoyed it enough over the last two days to make a thread about it... the only problem is getting enough people who own, and have installed, gmod and cs:s who are also willing to download a map-pack or two (or search out a server with just cs:s maps)
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Maybe we should play this tonight?
Gunslinger42
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Gunslinger42 »

I'll probably end up playing it tonight anyway. The problem is getting the map-pack since stupid garrysmod.org now needs you to register and validate and blahblah jump through hoops
Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stoat »

Sounds interesting.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

I quite like the sound of this, very Phantom-ish.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Garry's Mod: Trouble in Terrorist Town

Post by Dog Pants »

Sounds like The Ship, which was good fun (until people got bored and just started killing each other at least). Unfortunately this
Gunslinger42 wrote:the only problem is getting enough people who own, and have installed, gmod and cs:s who are also willing to download a map-pack or two (or search out a server with just cs:s maps)
is likely to be a problem for me. I'll see if I can download what I need before friday night. Sounds like a great drinky game.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I have all of this but the map pack. Maybe set this up for some weekend play?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Urgh. 38% of CSS downloaded at some point, none of GM9. I've just finished a download I started this morning, so it'll have to wait.
Gunslinger42
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Gunslinger42 »

The map pack (just search ttt map pack on garrysmod.org) has all of the common maps, though I prefer just playing it on regular css maps. The site requires you to register (and then verify your account using your steam profile thinger) these days though which is a bit shit. I'll see if I can upload the map pack somewhere else, as it's only a 70mb .zip file
Gunslinger42
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Gunslinger42 »

I've seen a lot of variation from server to server with this mod (mostly just aesthetics though), most seems to have a 'karma' aspect - you start with 1000 karma, killing teammates (fellow innocents or traitors) takes karma away, while playing rounds where you dont harm teammates, or harming enemies, gives karma. If you have really low karma the amount of damage your weapons do gets reduced, so it helps prevent what everyone calls "rdm" - random death matches

Also as johnson and I found out, teamspeak + ingame speak gets a bit awkward, as most people use the in game voice chat to tell each other where they are, who they're with, what they're doing, etc
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

That's CSS done. How the hell do I get gmod 9?
Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stoat »

Dog Pants wrote:That's CSS done. How the hell do I get gmod 9?
Gmod 10 isn't it?
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I assumed he was talking about the for pay version on Steam, which I bought on sale and have not ever touched.
Gunslinger42
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Gunslinger42 »

Gmod 10 is the newest one, the one that you pay for on steam. If you own it then it'll be in the uninstalled games list like anything else
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've got to buy Gmod to play this? I didn't know that. My interest has waned suddenly, although it's only £6 or something, so I might still go for it.
Gunslinger42
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Gunslinger42 »

Who doesn't have gmod by now, it's been on a bunch of sales and is considerably different/better than the last old free version :lol:
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

I don't, because I used the free version about four times and figured I'd never use the pay for version. I still don't intend to pay for it.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

HereComesPete wrote:I don't, because I used the free version about four times and figured I'd never use the pay for version. I still don't intend to pay for it.
This.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Dog Pants wrote:
This.
:above:
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I wouldn't have but it was on sale fore seriously cheap during the Black Friday sales last year.