Movie mini reviews

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MORDETH LESTOK
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by MORDETH LESTOK »

Gaymer...those guys should just stick to doing trailers cuz they suck at making complete movies...
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Er, what film are you moaning about there Mordeth?
MORDETH LESTOK
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by MORDETH LESTOK »

Gamer
From the guys who make the Cranks.

Where's that review thingy the Hungarian was working on ?
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

I found it bland and inoffensive, strange to release that at the same time as law abiding citizen which is a far superior film.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I just watched They Live, not seen it for aaaaages. Very good.

and :shock: PKE meter!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:and :shock: PKE meter!
:lol: I'd completely forgotten about that. I think I'll watch it again today.
amblin
Zombie Spanger
Zombie Spanger

Post by amblin »

Last edited by amblin on May 5th, 2014, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I'd completely forgotten about this film and surprised I said it was a recent best. I'll have to watch it again now.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

The Wolfman (2010)

Remake of the hammer classic (which I have admittedly never seen)
Overall very good and has a very nice gothic horror atmosphere to it, and an "oldfashioned" werewolf (looks more like a man than an animal) Acting is good with Hugo Weaving as a cool Scotland Yard detective, Anthony Hopkins as his trademark crazy old man role, and Benicio Del Toro as the Englishman that returns from the states. Benicio makes an incredibly poor Englishman, but is perfectly cast as the wolfman, and wears the monster suit well.
The only part that sort of bothered me was the out of place usage of CGI animals. Surely it's not too hard to rent some deer somewhere?

Overall, nothing particularly special, but solid gothic horror funtime with gas lights, gypsies and horse-drawn carts.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Law Abiding Citizen

I just watched this, was intrigued by stoat's post on the disco board.

Rather enjoyed it, nasty in places, but it worked well against the mostly drama nature of the movie in general. Don't see many of the twists coming a mile off, but they're not super subtle either.

7/10
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I just watched that too. I found it to be most enjoyable, which is all you can really ask from a film.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

I did find myself rooting for him after the initial bit of fuckery, helped by the fact I think foxx is a smug twat anyway.

But then from the t-bone to neck stabbery and such I thought he was doing to many questionable things and decided he was being a dick, I guess it's a bit of visual hyperbole to help pull in a big crowd but it turned me against him.

So in the end I thought they were all dicks and needed to die in a fire, possibly just the misanthropic part of me.

Still an excellent movie though.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I loved the bit where
Spoiler:
the Judge grants him release on bail and he goes off on a rant about it, ending with "I bet you take it in the ass, too".
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Clash of the Titans (2010) (2D)

Awful. The action sequences should be good enough to stop you getting bored, but the rest is poor. Which is a shame as there's some good actors involved. There's also some potentially interesting periphery characters, but they're under developed and then fall off the edge of the plot. However if you don't expect too much it's a watchable no-brainer.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I enjoyed it, but there was something empty about it - can't put my finger on what was missing from it.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

spoodie wrote:Clash of the Titans (2010) (2D)

Awful. The action sequences should be good enough to stop you getting bored, but the rest is poor. Which is a shame as there's some good actors involved. There's also some potentially interesting periphery characters, but they're under developed and then fall off the edge of the plot. However if you don't expect too much it's a watchable no-brainer.
I don't know really, I was too distracted by Gemma Arterton.

I also bring some reviews, one of them is a foreign film but bear with me.

Daybreakers (2009)

A vampire film, but with a twist. Pretty much the entire human race has been turned into vampires, but now the vamps have a problem: they're running out of blood to drink, and it's up to Ethan Hawke (who is a vampire hematologist) to find a solution to this problem, but he has to befriend a band of human survivors to do that.
This film has some pretty clever findings, such as a subwalk (for travelling during the daytime), daytime driving mode on cars, blood in coffee instead of milk, forest fires caused by vampiric animals venturing out during the daytime, and some others that I forgot.
Visually it's quite nice, the vampire future is very bleak and modern, and I couldn't help but be reminded of Gattaca, the only bad thing that I could add is some poor CGI in places.
Storywise it starts off pretty good, but the second half is a bit of a letdown and the ending was pretty poor, which was a shame as I really enjoyed the first 45 minutes or so.
It's still perfectly enjoyable if you're not too much a critic, but might be more worthy of a sweep than a cinema visit.

:starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starhalf: :starempty: :starempty: :starempty:

Låt den rätte komma in (Let the right one in)

I'm pretty sure someone else reviewed this, but search didn't tell me much, so here's another review.

Yes, it's a Swedish film so yes, it has subtitles, but do not let that keep you away from this film, as the dialogue is pretty scarce so you won't have to read much anyway.
I'm trying to find a way to tell the plot, but my brain is in spaz mode today so just read the IMDB page. Or don't and just watch the film.
Personally, I really liked this film, I didn't think I would but it really is a rather powerful piece of cinema and has left me in a weird mood all day, and it's pretty rare for a film to have this kind of impact on me. I should warn you that you may not like this film at all if you don't have the right mindset, it doesn't have gunfights and carchases (it does have volvo's though), and is really rather dark and somber, as you'd expect from a film made in a country where the sun barely shines in winter.
Highly recommended, but be prepared that you might not like it at all.

:starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starhalf: :starempty:
Sol
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Sol »

Going back to what pants and berk said about moon, I really liked it, Rockwell was excellent. They showed it on the big screen at uni and the art and production directors were there to take questions and generally get bumlicked. Nearly all of moon was done with old school model making techniques, which I enjoyed heartily.

'RON MAN 2

Rourke was ridiculous and the bottles of russian standard vodka everywhere pissed me off, but aside from that it's a VERY good film. Go watch.

:cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: /10
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Sol wrote:Going back to what pants and berk said about moon, I really liked it, Rockwell was excellent. They showed it on the big screen at uni and the art and production directors were there to take questions and generally get bumlicked. Nearly all of moon was done with old school model making techniques, which I enjoyed heartily.
You can really tell, the sets looked great. I suspect that even when something doesn't look CG, you can still subconsciously notice it.
Sol
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Sol »

It apparently took a shit ton of time and money to make, which i'm not surprised. Really wish more films went back to the old model based techniques, there's just something that feels more authentic about them. Not the biggest fan of cgi based things.

Going back to the music, I think it's been one of my favorite soundtracks since 28 days later and Sunshine.

Welcome to lunar industries is a superbly chilling track:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lUgqeO1ZxM[/media]

Which reminds me of In the House, In a Heartbeat:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1UIKfKGm9Y[/media]
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

At odds to Sol's review:

Iron Man 2

It's pretty, it's action filled, the plot is pretty good despite a couple of obvious flaws. It's very entertaining and worth seeing at the cinema for the full experience.

I give it 8 out of 10.
:starfull::starfull::starfull::starfull::starfull::starfull::starfull::starfull::starempty::starempty:

Oh, there's another bit after the mahoosive credits. Basically it involves
Spoiler:
a minor character, a crater in New Mexico, Thor's hammer (Thor from the comics), and the line "We've found him". Essentially a continuation of the Avengers (with Sam L Jackson as Nick Fury) theme started at the end of Iron Man 1 and used in Iron Man 2
. You can skip it though.