Console/PC game reviews by 5punkers

Moderator: Forum Moderators

FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Tales of Vesperia - 360

Post by FatherJack »

Tales of Vesperia - 360

Dog smoking a pipe, annoying youth, sword-toting hero, feisty fire girl, wistful yet ardent princess. Yep: check.

Introduction
It's a JRPG with cell-shaded anime-style characters and a real-time battle system. It is the tenth game in a rough series, but only the second major one to be released in Europe in sequence on its original format, the first being Tales of Symphonia on the GameCube in 2003. Lucky US citizens have had PS and PS2 releases either side of that. Tales of Symphonia remains quite highly regarded and even second-hand copies still command prices equal or higher than those on release.

Comparisons with Final Fantasy
One of our newsfeeds recently compared it to Final Fantasy VII, but while it has similarities it is far from a clone of it.

In towns you move around a pre-rendered background and interact with things in a way very similar to FF. In dungeons you similarly have roaming enemies and a map (which didn't appear in FF until X) - but it differs in that the enemies are visible and avoidable. The overland sections look similar to FFVII in that you are as big as the towns, but again the roaming monsters are visible akin to FFXII. None of these things are exclusive to the Final Fantasy series though and I could list many more obvious parallels to other games which use those systems for travel.

Unlike FF the cut-scenes are rendered using the game engine, so it fits on a single DVD. It also has optional skits, where the characters talk to each in comic-book frames, in an improvement over Tales of Symphonia these are now voiced and the faces fully animated. Most in-game dialogue is in pop-up text windows and only voiced in the major scenes.

Battle System
The battle system however is unlike most other games - in that it has three modes of operation. In Manual it's effectively real-time action-based where you directly control the characters, mash attack buttons and try to pull off combos. Semi-auto is kind of the same, but targeting is done for you, which is better for long-range characters. Auto does everything for you including attacking according to the tactics you set (conserve mana, all out, etc). Because you have a party of up to four characters, they can be set independently, so you could control the healer while the swordsman is on Auto. There are some skills which can only be used in a particular mode, usually Semi-auto.

The Auto mode is improved from Tales of Symphonia, where you felt like you weren't doing anything at all, but it does still feel a little disconnected and takes a bit of tinkering with the tactics before you start to get used to influencing the battle more directly. You can switch between modes at will and keep yourself busy.

I like the Auto mode, it works pretty well for the random encounters. The game is too fast to specify turn-based commands and benefits from it. You don't get bored inputting commands for each character when you know the first attack is going to kill everything, nor do you spend ages beating weak monsters on the way to somewhere interesting - battles against wandering monsters typically only last between 5 and 30 seconds.

Stuff that sucks
Stuff isn't terribly well-explained. I had to load and re-do the combat tutorial as I didn't realise I was meant to be performing the actions while the instructions were still on the screen. I have no idea how the weapon skills are transferred to the characters - it says it is possible, and I have "learned" them, but they don't appear in their skills lists.

As is typical in the genre, it takes a while to get going. Not quite the 35 hours before the game gets started typical of the FF games, but in five hours play I've only encountered one "boss" fight.

Conclusion
Buy it if you like this sort of thing. It's a good example of the genre and the hybrid battle system is a good compromise between chin-stroking strategy and button-mashing, although if you're a zealous proponent of one of those, you'll find it a little light.

It's worth noting there's an enhanced PS3 version planned for the Autumn (in Japan) with extra playable characters, towns, dungeons, bosses and other content. No word on a western release date.

Score : 9/10 :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starempty:
Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stoat »

Hmm. I don't like this sort of thing, but I would like to and this is probably where I would start. The battle system sounds inviting to me, after having attempted a couple of FF games and found the whole turn-based thing a massive barrier.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Is that a wolf smoking a pipe on the left of the picture?

If so I'm sold.
Imperatore
Shark
Shark

Post by Imperatore »

I love JRPGS's but not tactical ones like Valkyria Chronicles and Disgaea. Crying out for one on PS£ but so far only got Eternal Sonata which was average. This is coming Fall 2009 so will likely pick it up.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Hmmm, tempting.

I've been playing some (J)RPGs lately. I bought FF7 on PSN but I still really don't like the random encounters, it makes me anxious the whole time. I'm walking somewhere and all of a sudden I'm fighting something without warning. I hate that.

However Chrono Trigger on the DS is excellent.

Would you consider this the best JPRG the 360 and PS3 has to offer?
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

It's up there, 11 hours in and I'm still really enjoying it. It certainly very well-balanced combat wise, with a method to please almost anyone. It is of course a very linear story where you're not allowed to walk out of town until you've talked to the right person and so on, but that's just part of the genre, really. It's not fantastically hard, either.

There's less on the PS3, the two very tactical ones Imperatore mentioned plus Eternal Sonata and Enchanted Arms - both of those disappointed me with battle systems I couldn't get on with, the latter was a very early 360 release and felt very last-gen.

The 360 gets those last two, plus a few others that are actually good. The Last Remnant, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are all fine games - all turn based battle systems. I've put at least 25 hours into each of them, so it's not fair to compare yet, really. They all feature proper, voiced cut scenes as well as video segments which make them seem a little more professional.

Also on the 360 is Inifinite Undiscovery a 3D action RPG which I found a little tiring both on the eyes with indistinct scenery and the hands. Too early to say is the 360's Star Ocean - real-time combat and three DVDs worth of movies/cut scenes, I haven't seen enough of it to decide yet.
Imperatore
Shark
Shark

Post by Imperatore »

If you want a bloody good challenge take a look at Demons Souls, hardest game I've ever played:
Demons
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Imperatore wrote:If you want a bloody good challenge take a look at Demons Souls, hardest game I've ever played:
Demons
Hopefully released over here later in the year, although disappointing US sales might fuck us over. The King's Field series is one I've had an interest in, but releases over here have been scarce.

Meanwhile Tales of Vesperia is turning into my favourite game in the genre. Corrections to the original review are that you don't get a map in dungeons and that you do get video cut-scenes, which to my eyes don't look quite as nice as the in-game rendered scenes.

Played close to 50 hours now and nearing what the characters are calling the "final battle", but a quick glance at an FAQ showed I've missed loads of stuff in the way of exploration and minigames. I figured out how to equip weapon skills (artes) and have discovered the actions you can assign to auto-controlled characters actually give you incredibly fine detail.

Also it's apparently co-op playable for four characters, which I haven't tried yet. It is a wolf smoking a pipe, but I still don't really know why.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I'm enjoying this as well. Only 10 hours in so far and a bit daunted by the prospect of at least another 40 hours. But I'll keep at it for now.

I really like the layering of complexity. Allowing you to get get involved in the fine detail of battles or just mash the buttons like you're playing Soul Calibur.