TV cards

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Wiggy
5pork
5pork

TV cards

Post by Wiggy »

Anyone any idea what sort/make I should get? Also, I want to be able to play my PS1 through it, what would I need?

Ta
Jinxx
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Re: TV cards

Post by Jinxx »

Wiggy69 wrote:Anyone any idea what sort/make I should get? Also, I want to be able to play my PS1 through it, what would I need?

Ta

TV Cards can often have a delay to them that makes playing consoles rather difficult. If you want to be able to use your console on your monitor, try using a VGA box from www.whitedog.co.uk or www.liksang.com . Also, if you're looking for a new monitor, some higher-end TFTs have Composite and SVideo inputs (my Dell does).

As for cards, I would advise against any TV cards by Pinnacle or Hauppage because their kit stinks. Avermedia have nice stuff, but the software is a little bit grumpy and I often hear good things about ATI's AIW cards (but they are let down by often only having a single monitor out and the 3D performance being a little bit lower than a non-AIW card).

I have a VIVO (Video In/Video Out) ASUS 9600XT and the video input on that is fairly decent quality and a freeview box can be hooked up to it without any great fuss (a SCART-SVideo kit is needed, try www.tvcables.co.uk ). Unfortunately, the card did cost a little bit more as it is an ASUS card and not identical to the ATI reference design.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Re: TV cards

Post by Joose »

Jinxx wrote: I would advise against any TV cards by Pinnacle or Hauppage because their kit stinks.

this. Ive got a hauppage (found it "second hand" in Leicester market), it licks balls. Still, managed to play my ps1 on it throughout uni, albeit shittily.
Nickface
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by Nickface »

The last three cards I had prior to my current card was an AIW card. I thought they were just the cat's ass (but I didn't need them anymore as I was no longer importing video via composite hookups).