Ninja Pirate

Edge Review Scores 16/05/07

Post by tandino »

A little later than planned due to work and that but here you go:

Super Paper Mario | Wii | Release: Out Now (US), Summer (UK) | <b>7/10</b>

Prince of Persia: Rival Swords | Wii | Release: Out Now | <b>4/10</b>

Mario Strikers: Charged Football | Wii | Release: May 25th | <b>6/10</b>

Boom Boom Rocket | 360 (Live Arcade) | Release: Out Now | <b>5/10</b>

Mario VS Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis | DS | Release: Out Now | <b>7/10</b>

Tomb Raider: Anniversary | PC, PS2 (version tested), PSP | Release: May 25th | <b>7/10</b>

Shadow Hearts: From the New World | PS2 | Release: Out Now | <b>6/10</b>

Honeycomb Beat | DS | Release: Out Now (US), TBA (UK) | <b>5/10</b>

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo tales | DS | Release: Out Now (US), May 25th (UK) | <b>4/10</b>

Cooking Mama: Cook Off | Wii | Release: Out Now (US, Japan), May 11 | <b>5/10</b>

Superbike World Championship: SBK - 07 | PS2 (version tested), PSP | Release: May 18th | <b>6/10</b>

So that's your lot, good week for Mario Fans and Wii titles in general, kind of... There's also a couple of Resident Evil games in the preview section, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles and Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition. Looking good, fellow Wii owners.

The main story this month is LucasArts' new ground breaking (literally) title called Fracture. Every weapon gives you the ability to manipulate the terrain around as you see fit, for example summoning cover when you need it, or sending spikes through the ground for offensive purposes. I've only skimmed the article so far but It looks to be a pretty exciting title.

Slated for release next summer on 360 and PS3.
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

I briefly tried Resident Evil 4 on the PS2 the other day but couldn't come to terms with the controls at all. After so long playing FPS-type games on the PC, I just don't like them on consoles. I find the PS2 pad to be perfect for things like Fifa, GTA and action games like Prince of Persia, but for ones that require a bit more accuracy and/or speed in pointing I just can't reconcile myself with it at all.
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

Lateralus wrote:I briefly tried Resident Evil 4 on the PS2 the other day but couldn't come to terms with the controls at all. After so long playing FPS-type games on the PC, I just don't like them on consoles. I find the PS2 pad to be perfect for things like Fifa, GTA and action games like Prince of Persia, but for ones that require a bit more accuracy and/or speed in pointing I just can't reconcile myself with it at all.

I'm with you mate, all very true. I think the main point of Capcom making a Wii edition of Resi 4 is to take advantage of the Wiimote's motion sensing and pointing capabilities. It's also not going to be a straight off port of the GC/PS2 version, there's extra missions, playable characters etc. Plus a sneak peek of 'The Umbrella Chronicles' which is another Nintendo/Capcom exclusive.

I'm loving being able to use my Wiimote/Nunchuk on my PC now though. Brilliant stuff. Not tried controlling S.T.A.L.K.E.R with the Wii peripherals yet, but I will soon.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I hope Resi Wii is good. I like the games in theory, but the controls always pissed me off to the point of making them unplayable. If it gets moderately good reviews it'll be the first Wii game I buy ('cos I've no money this month).
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

Dog Pants wrote:I hope Resi Wii is good. I like the games in theory, but the controls always pissed me off to the point of making them unplayable. If it gets moderately good reviews it'll be the first Wii game I buy ('cos I've no money this month).

Same with me, they just always seemed so sluggish. I don't think Reswii 4 is out for a couple of months though. Next one for me is Eleedees I think.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I keep hearing Eleedees mentioned. What is it? Better still, someone review it :)
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

Dog Pants wrote:I keep hearing Eleedees mentioned. What is it? Better still, someone review it :)

*looks awkward*

Ahem

http://www.5punk.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7132

*walks off*
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

Like this one, just down the page? :)

Edit: Great minds think alike!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Ah yes, I remember now :shakefist:
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Edge Review Scores 16/05/07

Post by FatherJack »

tandino wrote:Shadow Hearts: From the New World | PS2 | Release: Out Now | <b>6/10</b>

:shock: I really liked the first two, is the review score middling because it's more of the same, or flawed in some way? More of the same I wouldn't mind, but if they broke the improvements they made to combat in Covenant, I won't be happy.

Amazon says it's out May 25, and made by Ghostlight, rather than Midway.

For anyone not familiar with the series - it's a linear eastern-style RPG similar to the Final Fantasy games, but with a much darker theme - vampires, zombies, nazis and gory deaths. The battles use your skill at stopping a sort-of souped-up second-hand on a clock face at the right times, but the last one gave you the option to use a no-skill approach at reduced power.
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Re: Edge Review Scores 16/05/07

Post by tandino »

FatherJack wrote: :shock: I really liked the first two, is the review score middling because it's more of the same, or flawed in some way? More of the same I wouldn't mind, but if they broke the improvements they made to combat in Covenant, I won't be happy.

Amazon says it's out May 25, and made by Ghostlight, rather than Midway.

For anyone not familiar with the series - it's a linear eastern-style RPG similar to the Final Fantasy games, but with a much darker theme - vampires, zombies, nazis and gory deaths. The battles use your skill at stopping a sort-of souped-up second-hand on a clock face at the right times, but the last one gave you the option to use a no-skill approach at reduced power.

Edge wrote:
Like the pilgrims before them, {Nautilus} have decided to begin afresh, and so this episode cuts almost all ties to the characters from it's prequels. The dark edge has gone, and the oddball humour has been brought to the fore

Not as good as the earlier ones (in a nutshell) but the battle mechanics remain, not much else does apparently. Now to patent the term "Judgement Ring" and use it in innuendo about bumming.
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

I'll update this later on, good reviews this month including a legendary Edge 10 (no prizes for guessing what it is)...
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

tandino wrote:I'll update this later on, good reviews this month including a legendary Edge 10 (no prizes for guessing what it is)...

I read this elsewhere and was surprised. I've only done a few hours on the solo game so far and not got a rounded opinion of it yet, but it's not amazing. Perhaps once I've explored the other elements this score will make more sense.
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

spoodie wrote:I read this elsewhere and was surprised. I've only done a few hours on the solo game so far and not got a rounded opinion of it yet, but it's not amazing. Perhaps once I've explored the other elements this score will make more sense.

Aye, me and a friend of mine were of the opinion that an Edge 10 should be something <i>really</i> good, like revolutionary. There's no question that the Halo games are something special, but it's no longer ground breaking, just a really good console FPS, which is an accolade in itself really.