Moderator: Forum Moderators

MIkkyo
5pork
5pork

Resident Evil 4

Post by MIkkyo »

Resident Evil 4 - Wii

Introduction
So your Leon the cop from Racoon city. But after only one day of being a cop and surviving a zombie infestation you get the job of protecting the Presidents Daughter, and she gets kidnapped. I'm not sure if its possible for this guy Leon to get anymore bad luck, oh no wait You end up ina village full of Zombie type people attacking you with all sorts of crude weapons.

Gameplay
The Control system, after you get used to it, does actually work rather well. The Camera angle on which the game follows you does sometimes get annoying and I feel its a bit too close, so you have trouble seeing people creeping up near to you. It may have been a better idea to have the camera further away until you aim the gun then bringing it it whilst you shoot.
Shooting, now theres something that's just plain old stupid in the game. I know on the previous games where it was controled by joystick and you just aimed in the general direction of the thing you wanted to shoot at, fired until said thing died. That worked on the old control pad system, where as on the Wii you get to aim, Brilliant you'd think 'I Can just head shot the fuckers as I please' well you'd think wrong. Aim at the head, fire your pistol and........they move their heads away as if you'd just spat a wad of toilet paper at them, fire again, right between the eyes and......they act like you just bounced a 2p piece off of their heads. Eventually after shooting them in the head say what 5 times? they'll fall to the ground. or very occasionally their heads will explode. The Aiming can't be what it takes to make the heads explode, it appears just to happen by complete chance, maybe some zombies happen to keep plastic explosives in their mouths, maybe its due to gas build up on certain characters heads or maybe its that Capcom (who have made some cracking lightgun games) Spent more time on the Graphics than making a decent light gun aiming system on the game.

Sights and Sounds
Now so far most of the games I have played on the Wii, the graphics haven't impressed me too much, but the gameplay has more than made up for it. It seems so far that this is the anti-Wii game. The graphics, for a the wii, are rather impressive. Using the fogging system to create atmosphere, but also to limit how much of the level is required to be visible at any one time, the characters and sceanery are actually rather nice. Its no PS3 or XBox 360, (maybe if you took some vasaline to your TV when playing an Xbox 360 you'd be close) but much better than anyother Wii game I have seen.
Sound wise, the voice acting is what you'd expect from most games. But you can tell there are enemies around instantly by the music change and some vocal noises, but the zoomed in camera angle can make seeing where they are difficult sometimes.

Stuff that sucks
Camera angles sometimes and the fact that a head shot wont actually do anymore damage than shooting them in the little toe.

Conclusion
Its a pretty game and definately has the Resident evil 'jump' factor at points, plays like all resident evils so far except with what I thought would be a bonus, a ligt gun style aiming system that just annoys you and has you shouting occasionally as you shoot groups of people through the eyes and have them carry on walking to you, with the odd exploding head when you shoot them accidently on the hand or chest.
I had much higher hopes for the game and was disapointed slightly, but for £29.99 I can't complain too much.

Score : 7/10 :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starempty: :starempty: :starempty:
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

I'm still going to buy this, however it's nice to have a review from someone who isn't a Resident Evil fanboy, and automatically gives the game 10 out of 10
MIkkyo
5pork
5pork

Post by MIkkyo »

Woo Elephant Yeah wrote:I'm still going to buy this, however it's nice to have a review from someone who isn't a Resident Evil fanboy, and automatically gives the game 10 out of 10

Its still a fun game to play, The only real problem with it is the camera angles and the no head shot thing, if that was sorted out it would be a 10
Some furfag
Mouse
Mouse

Post by Some furfag »

Woo Elephant Yeah wrote:I'm still going to buy this, however it's nice to have a review from someone who isn't a Resident Evil fanboy, and automatically gives the game 10 out of 10

You're thinking in the wrong direction. It's not a true Resident Evil game, therefore rank down. Which I can agree with, because there's a certain charm to the normal series that makes me love them, despite the flaws, and it makes me sad to think there'll probably never be another like them.

Still, 4's decent, other than how they turned badass, increasingly angry Leon in to Generic Action Hero Man.
Dyslexic Dwarf
Kitten
Kitten

Post by Dyslexic Dwarf »

Nice review :)

I thought it was a decent game, i played it through before i sold the Wii™ and enjoyed it a lot i'd probably say a 6-7 / 10 too narf.

It's worth a good 8 hours or so to get through and then obiously your extra modes keep you entertained
MIkkyo
5pork
5pork

Post by MIkkyo »

I need to update this review with all the unlocks, I am actually in love with this game now.
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

It's still in the shrinkwrap, and I cant wait to play it, however I'm still finishing Zelda:TP before I start playing it.