The First Forumised Shadowrun Adventure™

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

The First Forumised Shadowrun Adventure™

Post by Joose »

Righto, this is how its going to work. I put up descriptions of whats happening, you guys respond with what your characters do. Due to the fact that this is going to be fairly slow going anyway, a couple of rules to keep things going:

1)try to be as detailed about what you are doing as possible. If you are not sure about something, and you cant get me on xfire, spell out exactly what it is you want to try and do.

2)be clear about when you are saying you want to do something, and when you are just discussing with the other about what you want to do.

3)sometimes I will be making dice rolls for you (largely when I dont want you knowing that you are trying to pass a test, like when I am testing to see if you notice a trap you are about to stand on, for example). All other times, if you know what you are asking to do involves rolls, make them and include the results in your post.

4)if 24 hours pass without you making an update on what you want to do, I will presume you are either doing more of what you were doing, or are doing something similar to the others in your group. Just so that we dont end up waiting three days just for someone to say "oh, yeah, im going to shoot them too.".

5)anything you want your character to say, in character, should be done in a quote box. I will do the same for npc's.

6)check your pm's. Anything that a character should know that wont necassarily be information available to the other characters will be communicated through that.

Gaem Begin!

Its been a bit of a quiet time lately in the dodgier side of Seattle. The ever present rain has been joined with slightly increased heat, resulting in a horrible mugginess. Its helped to turn what is normally quite a slow time of year for your types into an almost total standstill. So when Al Haynes (Dog Pants) gets a message from his fence, Sergey, that a Mr Johnson is poking around for 'runners with some time on thier hands, you jump at the opportunity. Although its not a Johnson any of you have ever worked for before, you get the feeling that you might be low on work without it.

Sergey sets up a meet with the Johnson, in Smittys, a local bar. You have heard of the place; its a bit of a dive, but a good choice for this kind of buisness. Its public enough, without being too public, and its not one of the regularly used 'runner spots, so you shouldnt be too overlooked. Its only small, with one bar room, and a back room with an old style pool table. Sergey says the Johnson and his "associates" will meet you in the back room, 7pm tonight. Its currently only 3, so you have plenty of time to prepare, and get to the place.

What do you do, hotshot? What do you do?*

*random Speed moment there :)
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Big Chopper gets a round of drinks in. He chucks the money on the bar and gruffly asks for three beers.

Big Chopper wrote:I don't give a shit if you prefer whiskey. When I'm buying it's quantity over quality. Now, have either of got change for the pool table?

He stands with his back to the bar, noisily gulping his pint.

Big Chopper wrote:So, how long do we have to wait for this lot?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'll drive by the bar as soon as I can to check out the lay of the land. If it's open I'll go in for a drink to get an idea of the inside and make sure I know how to dress to fit in. I won't stay long.

I'll turn up at the bar bang on time, on foot (a taxi can drop me a few streets away), having dressed as appropriately as I can. I'm not bothering with any armour but I'll take a holdout pistol (I think I bought one, if not I'll go unarmed).

If the Mr Johnson is aparent and it's quiet I'll introduce myself right off. If I'm not sure I'll knock a few balls around the pool table or challenge the winner of the next game. No rush, there's plenty of time to get this right.

I wish I had some backup.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

quick notes that my sleep deprived brain failed to mention last night:

Its still early enough for people to join in, but I will need completed character sheets from you before you do. At the moment I only have character sheets for deject, Pants and Roman. If you want to join in, you really need to get this done by tomorrow night, sunday at the latest, and sent off to me so I can check them over. Sorry!

The second thing is something deject has pointed out to me: Im presuming the shadowrunners all know each other a little, just to speed things up a bit. If you hadn't met before now, it would take ages of "getting to know you" stuff before we could get to the meat of a run. However, you guys dont "go way back" or anything. You may have done, at most, one other run together before this (or not, if you prefer). You know each other well enough to know names and roughly what each other is good at, but you still are not overly clear on details.

I may as well do updates on what you guys have said so far (sorry sandwich, untill I get a character sheet, wont be doing yours). I'll wait for deject before i hit the 7pm mark though.

The bar itself is a right dive, with grubby tables, equally grubby glasses and a carpet that squelches slightly. You are sure you can see small shapes moving around in the darker corners, and, in fact, within the barmans extensive facial hair. The beer he serves you tastes like piss, but at least its cheap. Theres no sign of the MrJ yet, but the backroom does have a fully functioning pool table.
It occurs to you all that the pool table is probably an antique, and therefore probably worth more than the bar itself, if it wasnt for all the beer stains on it.
The only other occupants are an old guy buy the bar, who looks like he has been there for years, and some kind of homeless looking dude sat propped against a wall in the back room.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

In which case I'll let the others know what's going down and ask them to back me up while I find out more. I'd suggest subtlety, and IIRC both Roman and Deject should be able to pull of just being a patron. In fact I might make a point of noting to the barman what a beautiful pool table he has on my recce so that we've an excuse to be there later.

Guys, I'd suggest that only two of us make the meeting and the third wait nearby as backup. Communication is fairly easy because of the proliferation of commsets. I'm not expecting a double cross, but it pays to be careful.

Risks are that the Mr Johnson is setting us up for something (unlikely, but it does happen), or that there are rivals with a vested interest in finding out what we're up to or stopping us around that might try and upset the meeting.

Just so you guys know, Al (my character) is an ex-Mr Johnson himself and is well practiced in this kind of etiquette and diplomacy. Much better than I am, but I'll play it up as best I can.

I suggest we hang about being as inconspicuous as possible until they approach us - they should know who they're looking for better than we do.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

When Leland Wilmot gets the call from Al, he seems pretty distracted, but he agrees to meet at the bar.

Leland wrote:I could use a whisky anyways. I'll be there 'round 6:30.

I'll put on my trenchcoat/armored jacket, leave the shock gloves in the inner pockets, and head on down to the bar.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Having supped a couple of pints, Henry "Big Chopper" Ackerman decides it's best if he leaves the bar and waits nearby, whilst the other two attend the meeting (it may have subtly hinted to him that, as his people skills aren't the greatest, it might be best if he's not around to upset/offend anyone).

He goes for a walk round the block, listening in on his earpiece in case any back up is needed.

Big Chopper wrote:Cunts
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Leland checks the collar of his jacket and opens the door to the bar. As he walks up to the bar he asks

Leland wrote:Hey, gimmie a whisky please.

After the bartender hands him a single-malt Leland takes a swig and grimaces in disgust.

Leland wrote:This all you got?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

To Chopper:

Al wrote:Relax big man, I'll buy you a Baby Ruth when we're done.

To Leland (when he emerges from the bar):

Al wrote:I'd give up on the whisky. All you'll get in here is bourbon and beer. I'd recommend the beer.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

As you are discussing the drinks, the Johnson arrives. Hes a little early, but not excessively so. As he strides across from the door to greet you, you take the oportunity to look him and his bodyguard over.

The Johnson looks pretty standard stuff. Average hight, average build, everything about him is fairly average and inconspicuous. Its not till you realise how out of place an elf in a sharp suit should look in a bar as grotty as this that you realise what an impressive trick his average appearance is. He has delecate elven features, with a slightly oriental look, and dark hair in a reasonably fashionable style. His bodyguard is somewhat less subtle. Having to bend over slightly and walk at an angle to get through the door, he is one large troll. Even by troll standards, he's an ugly bugger, with extremely dark, knobbly skin, and a produding forehead. Coupled with slightly sunken eyes, this, rather unnervingly, means you cant make out where he is looking. Despite his rough looks, he is quite well dressed, with smart clean cloathes and a long grey coat. The coat does a very bad job of hiding what is clearly a heavy pistol of some sort. Al thinks he recognises it as a Ruger, the same gun that he uses, but its been heavily modified.

With a happy smile, the Johnson puts his arm out to shake hands with Al, glancing for a moment at Leland.

Mr Johnson wrote:Ah, you must be Mr Haynes! Nice to meet you. And this is your associate, yes? My name is Mr Tashima. This is my associate, Mr Ashton. I must apologise for the venue, it is not my preffered choice. However, it meets the requirements my client has specified, so we must make do. Im afraid time is rather of the essence here, so I will cut the small talk and get right down to buisness. My client has an item that has been misplaced. My client would very much like the item returned, within 4 days. I cannot gives details on the item, other than its rough location and that it can be easily transported by hand. My client assures me that it will be readily identifiable. I have been informed that you are such people as would be able to retrieve the item. Is this the case?

He speaks fast, and gives you little chance to respond untill he has finished talking. His accent is odd, stangely musical. English is definately not his first language, but you cant quite place what his first language would be. Possibly Sperethiel. As he asks the last question, he looks at Al with slighty raised eyebrows.

In the meantime, the troll introduced as Mr Aston has been standing impassively by his side, unmoving. The homeless guy in the corner burps gently, but is obviously fast asleep. He doesnt seem to worry Mr Tashima, who hasnt even glanced at him.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Shaking the man's (Elf's) hand:
Al wrote:Absolutely, Mr Tashima. I assure you that my associates and I will provide the discretion you obviously require and can offer you a prompt solution to your problem, given the correct resources.

Wait for Mr Tashima to take my cue.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Mr Tashima wrote: Excellent! My client has authorised reimbursement of 350 nuyen per individual, payable on delivery of the item to myself. As the situation is time critical, he has given me the authority to reward a bonus for early completion of the task. The bonus will be entirely at my discretion, and the exact amount determined by your performance and discretion, as well as speed. I realise this amount is less than the normal going rate for such a task, but im afraid my client has a limited budget to work with, and as you are no doubt aware, the current market for individuals such as yourself is currently working in favour of the buyer. Is this figure acceptable for you?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Al wrote:I think you're overselling your argument a little Mr tashima. I appreciate that we're in a customer driven market at the moment, but you know as well as I do that no team, no matter how green, would blindly accept work at such a rate. Maybe if you furnished me with a few more details of the task, such as where your item will be, we can try to come to an arrangement regarding our fee.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Leland glares dejectedly at Mr. Aston.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Mr Tashima wrote:I understand your concerns, Mr Haynes. I can tell you that the item is currently located in a low security warehouse. I can tell you that the owner of the warehouse is not a AAA standard corporation, or any other similarly powerfull organisation. I can tell you that the item is not dangerous or harmful to transport. The time limit is due to the item having...lets call it a shelf life, beyond which it will no longer have value to my client. Beyond that, there is no more information I can give you.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Al wrote:I think we can help you with your problem. It sounds like our time would be better spent at work than haggling over the vulgarities though. Make me a better offer and we'll get straight to it.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

The Johnsons expression goes a little distant for a moment, and he stares of into space. Before you have time to react to this, however, hes back smiling at you.

Mr Tashima wrote:You drive a hard bargain, Mr Haynes. My client has permitted me to go to 400 nuyen, plus the previously mentioned bonus. I regret that this amount can go no higher.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Al wrote:I understand, that will be fine. How would you like to recieve the item once we have it under control?
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Chopper, who has been listening in to the conversation over the communication headsets, whispers so that only Al can hear...

Chopper wrote:He'll receive it as a suppository if he doesn't pay up at the end.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Mr Tashima wrote:Once you have possesion of the item, simply contact me and I will tell you the delivery location. Now, if that is everything, I must be going. Good day, Mr Haynes. Good luck to you.

He sends you contact information for him to your PAN, nods, smiles, and heads for the door. His troll bodyguard waits for the Johnson to leave the bar, then follows him.
The homeless guy slumps to the side with a slight thud, and the barman continues spit-polishing the glasses, both as if nothing unusual has just happened. They propably figure its best not to get involved.