Beards, anyone?

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

Beards, anyone?

Post by Joose »

I have a beard yearning. Its been ages since we had anything forum based, but I have seen a few people elsewhere talking about running games via discord, which sounds plausible. I would quite like to give Numenera a go as a game, as it has dead simple game mechanics in an interesting (and batshit crazy) world. The doubleplus good part of the world is that it would be totally plausible to have the player characters be from some super isolationist community or something, so the characters would be learning about the world at the same speed that the players do, eliminating the problem we often run into with Eclipse Phase and Shadowrun where players havent a clue what options they even have!

I was thinking we open a room up on our discord server specifically for this, I'll run a very simple intro game and we could start with one, maybe two players to keep up the momentum. Updates would be short but regular, more like in a "real", in person RPG game, but you wouldn't be expected to be on all the time or anything.

Anyone fancy giving it a go?
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Re: Beards, anyone?

Post by Pnut »

Sounds interesting, I wouldn't mind giving it a go.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Hurrah! I'll have a look at character generation. You can have a look at stuff hereif you want, but you dont have to. Im going to have the game start with your character coming from a relatively normal, out of the way village; You wont need much knowledge of the setting because your character wont have much knowledge of the world either.

Brief version, if you cant be bothered with that: It's a billion years in the future, and the world has passed through the "advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" phase several times. Civilizations have risen, fallen and been entirely forgotten about over and over, but each one has left behind artifacts, some mindbogglingly big and some extremely small, which are now referred to as Numenera. Its all tech, but most of it might as well be magic as far as peoples understanding of it goes. As a result of all this the world is almost unrecognisable, the things in it are all weird, and the game will be mostly you discovering things and thinking "what the shit?"

Mechanically, it is a lot less strict and "rulesy" than EP, SR or even D&D. Everything pretty much boils down to you saying "I want to do this thing" and me giving you a target number to roll over on a d20.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Anyone interested in picking up the D&D game again, while we're on the subject?
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Sounds like I want to air my beard again. Currently DM'ing a 3.5e/homebrew, would be good to try something different.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Joose wrote: the game will be mostly you discovering things and thinking "what the shit?"
Sounds like me rereading my own messages.

I'll beard.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Grimmie wrote:Anyone interested in picking up the D&D game again, while we're on the subject?
Actually, I would.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Mr. Johnson wrote:
Grimmie wrote:Anyone interested in picking up the D&D game again, while we're on the subject?
Actually, I would.
:wave:

As much as I'd like to play Joosegames, I don't think I can make the free time for it.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Took pnut through character creation last night, he ended up with a Strong Glaive who Wears a Sheen of Ice. He has an impractical amount of weapons, a stick that makes him teleport in combat and an egg that melts stuff. Took us a while to get through but most of the time taken was actually me explaining game concepts, the character creation itself is by far the simplest I have seen in any RPG.

We did it all in the Numenera chat channel on Discord, if anyone wants to go have a look. If you want to create a character, feel free to shout at me on there for prompts/advice/bits I need to do.

I used thisto ease Character creation. Its good for keeping tabs on your work in progress character, but when you get to the end I would transfer it all to a different character sheet, the "in game" features are a bit restrictive.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I did a non-5punk beard this weekend.

Bit of DnD 3.5. I ended up with a middle aged half-orc wizard who was as charismatic and dexterious as hell, but with an intelligence of 11. His name is Latex Package. Rather amusing, but definitely trying to get him killed off on account of being an idiot :)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

buzzmong wrote:definitely trying to get him killed off on account of being an idiot :)
Don't be so hard on yourself. It's probably just inexperience.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

:spang:
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

pnut has made a Strong Glaive who wears a Sheen of Ice, FJ has made a Mad Nano who Talks to Machines. pnut has more weapons than limbs and FJ has a teddy. This is going to be interesting.

Anyone else jumping aboard, or shall I kick things off? If no one else is joining I will start things off on Sunday evening.