Pete's evil DnD adventure #1 Lamb of a Dark God

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Pete's evil DnD adventure #1 Lamb of a Dark God

Post by HereComesPete »

Mulmaster is an (lawful) evil place sprawled across a mountainside, even in high summer the wind chills the bones and clouds the mind with strange moans and the sickly sweet stench of rot and death catch in the throat almost as much as the stinging grit does. Boiling clouds gather and race against the wind only to clear seconds later, thick, sticky blood vies with cold violet rain to fall from cloudless skies and occasionally thick fog rolls in, acidic enough to melt the flesh and leave the few beggars foolish enough to try and eke an existence from the cruel streets melted to the heavy dark stone flags that pave the streets of the city. Carved from the same stone as the smooth black basalt of Ironfang Keep, the dark stone flags are kept clean by the magic that pervades them, it takes mere hours for rubbish, bodies and the occasional drunk to melt in to nothing, leaving the city surprisingly clean of detritus.

The city is ruled by High Blade Uoumdolphin from the Tower of the Wyvern, his 5000 blades live in the Tower of Blades both towers tear the sky next to each other in the highest part of the city, who is married to Dmitra Flass, a red wizard of immense power and ruler of one of the Tharchs of Thay. She commands the cloaks, a shadowy mage cadre of untold number who appear to have no permanent residence within the city. Their marriage means the city also has ties with Thay and benefits from the empire, wealth and knowledge pour in to the city from both the zhentarim and the thayvian empires as they vie for control.

The streets and the wide plaza around the towers and the main temple in the city- the House of the Black Lord are a milky white cobble of thousands of skulls, that run slick with the blood of tortured and impaled slaves and beasts as tribute to Bane. Bane's Chosen Fzoul Chembryl leads the faithful in the ritual agonising and midnight prayers, whilst also securing accord with the Zhentarim of Zhentil Keep with the intent of ousting Cyric from his place of prominence in favour of Bane, aligned to his goal is his desire to take control of the Zhent slave army housed in the Citadel of the White Raven that sits atop the Dragonspine Mountains.

Further down the mountainside is the docks and merchant warehouses and a sprawling warren of dilapidated tenements and shanties. A cheep beer and a knife in the back is what you can expect here, the laws of the high city don't make it this far, but the evil does.

Can you start working on a brief idea of why you feel your char would be in this city, where and why. If you want names of places in either the high (temples, highborn estates, merchant, magic, fancy shops, guilds and inns) or low (docks, shanty town, dirty pubs, dodgy shops) areas then let me know and I'll dish them out.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Pete's evil DnD adventure #1 Lamb of a Dark God

Post by FatherJack »

Here's a slighty better one

Being a Temple of Myrkul, Noli would have every reason to be there as a cleric.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

For reference, the whore houses, gambling dens and fighting pits are all in the low town near, or underneath the Oxpit and the temple of Loviatar, mainly because they like to hear the screams of pain and suffering, they heal for free as long as you pledge to continue fighting, they won't heal you at all if you don't, they may torture or sacrifice you instead.

The city has courtesans, flesh pits and gambling etc, but it's all a bit more discreet, not through any sense of impropriety, but because spies abound and too much knowledge about each other is a bad thing in a city that lives on intrigue and the occasional outburst of truly horrific violence.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Right, lets do this.

It's late at night in the city of Mulmaster. The streets are almost bustling in the low town and the docks as trade is plied, deals are struck and purse strings are cut. In the high city the streets are far quieter, the occasional carriage or troop of blades walks through a soupy fog that has rolled in from the sea.

Bits, you're in the fighting pits recuperating on your rack after butchering your latest opponents, one of them got a lucky hit and the priests ended up stuffing your guts back in after they poured out like wiggly pink rope as you smashed the unfortunate pit fighter to bloody chunks with your axe. Just one more fresh scar lacing through the web of scars and tufts of fur that cover your body. Someone is banging on the door.

FJ, you are currently in the temple preparing with the others to celebrate the sacrifice and to commune with the newly dead. Across the street the temple of Beshaba (the inverse goddess to Tymora) prays for ill fortune and bad luck for her enemies. The 'willing' sacrifice has changed their mind, she's not sure she wants to see her god yet, but she has also pushed one of the priests away, and that is punishable with death. The others have invited you in on conclave to discuss whether she is worthy of visiting your lord, or is it worth dispensing on the mandated law because she could be considered a non-believer and better to keep her alive and deny her the glory of father death's domain. The high priest isn't here and they've reached a bit of an impasse without his decision making.

Grimmie, you are currently in the Zhent quarter, chasing up information regarding recent rumours of a partial copy of the Book of Vile Darkness surfacing, with tracts concerning hellfire and ways to deliver unholy damage via seemingly normal spells, this copy of the elusive treatise on all things evil may offer you tremendous insight in to furthering your knowledge of magic. You are currently within an imposing iron building called Skuli's Scriptorium, talking to Skuli himself regards the book and another tidbit of information you've received about him and his golden nibs. Joose, you were the one who happened upon this intelligence, you are currently in the shop, circling the conversation at a useful distance whilst browsing the goods.

What are you all going to do next?
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

In the temple an emaciated dwarven priest steps forward, tall enough and with a face so pox-scarred he could perhaps pass for a small man. He smells bad: fusty, small furred animals, blood. Spittle shines on his lips as he begins to speak.
Noli Hardshewer wrote:Some have accused me of vascillating when it comes to the Laws of our order
He glares round at the assembled priests letting his gaze rest on a few individuals as his head turns,
Noli wrote:But none can suggest I am not faithful to our glorious Father. Who am I to deny Death His due? Who are any of us to cheat our dark Lord of what is rightfully His?

I say sacrifice, willing or no and any that stand in the way of His offering will make a fitting bonus oblation!
He seem rather eager at the prospect.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

As you pronounce your verdict to the gathered Clerics a gust of wind pushes the sickly sweet stench of death flows across the chancery, tendrils of fog swirl and disperse amongst the flickering light of the torches and candles. A tall, pale man with lank hair and a heavy steaming cloak strides in, a scythe across his back. He's garbed in half plate with a skull in a black bone edged triangle embossed upon it.

He discards the still steaming cloak, seems the fog has a bit of bite to it.
Ealhfring wrote:He is right brothers, the souls of all make it to our father one way or another, unless snared by demons, devils and other usurpers. Her soul is unwilling, but her fate is the same. Free her before the faithful, we will commune with my predecessor and ask how her soul fared the transition.
With that, the high priest stomps onward, gesturing at the faithful gathering around the altar at the other end of the hall, The previous high priest is mummified and dressed in full regalia of Myrkul, propped up on a stone table near the altar. The other priests glare at you FJ, some still clearly unhappy that you, a wandering newcomer dwarf, has seemingly earned favour with their leader and in turn their god. They start walking to the altar, dragging the screaming girl with them, some casting hateful glances at you as they go.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Anyone else?
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Xanuin Orviel is a stern-faced Gray Elf from the mountains. His body is wiry and his skin is pale. His eyes are often half-lidded in quiet, introspective judgement of the people he sees around him, and his lips curl in to a natural frown. He is, however, currently embroiled in deep conversation about an exciting, terrifying, powerful source of arcane writing, and thus his eyes are peeled wide open like an owl's searching for prey.

Having dispensed with the small talk Xanuin leans across the table and speaks with a hushed voice, confident that the gentleman orbiting their table would see to it that there weren't any figures prying on their conversation. He speaks quite bluntly, the sort of way that noblemen speak to the lower classes, with a subtle air of superiority whilst maintaining their respectable image.
Xanuin wrote:I'm seeking a particular set of writings, dealing in corruption and darkness. I'm told you're the person to speak to about acquiring such papers. Am I misinformed?
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

He leans in to match you and glances around the room. His eyes glint and his neat beard twits as the corner of his mouth flickers up in a smirk.
Skuli wrote:I got any number of tomes in 'ere that'll white yer hair and snare yer soul, yer gonna hav ta try a bit 'arder on what yer lookin fer leaf eater.
He leans back, his smirk is gone.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

Ragorr rolls out of his rack grabbing his axe and starts towards the door growling over the noise of the banging
Ragorr wrote:If this isn't something i can eat, fuck or kill i hope your fast, its more satisfying when they make a sport out of it
He then slams the axe into the door
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

The skinny urchin sent to wake you up almost pisses himself as you smash the badly made door into splinters that burst outwards with the noise of a swarm of angry hornets, some of which stick in him.

Thankfully for him the growls and yips that punctuate your speech were hard to decipher through the door and with the noise of the crowd above. He stares up at you and starts babbling.
Urchin wrote:Er, er,ererer, er, Master Borabas wants you upstairs. There's a new monster and he reckons it's a match for you!
He points at the way to the arming room and then turns to run away before you decide on eating, fucking or killing him, the first two of which would inevitably lead to the third anyway.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Mr Morley prowls the room, careful to keep his smartly pressed clothes away from any dusty tomes. To a casual observer he would appear to be a regular, if rather tall manservant, browsing the shops wares to stave off boredom whilst his master does business. Someone inspecting him closer might notice quick eyes looking to windows, doors and shadows as potential sources of danger, or that for such a large man he moves remarkably quietly, barely disturbing his surroundings. He plays the "hired help" roll so well that it would be easy to not even register his presence if you were not actively looking for him.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Okay, some updates! In this I am playing the part of Skuli, sorry if it's not entirely clear due to formatting.
Steam Chat wrote:Grimmie: Would Xanuin know if saying outright what he's looking for is likely to get him shanked and kicked out by this shopkeeper?
HereComesPete: sense motive
Grimmie: *Runs to get lucky dice* Fuck. I rolled a 1. Worst dice.
HereComesPete: best put that dice away from the others. So you haven't got a clue, you can see his face moving...
Grimmie: I'll risk it. I was sent here to see him for information. "You have to understand, it's my thirst for knowledge that drives me. I'm looking for the Book of Vile Darkness. Even a single page would be enough to whet my curiosity."
HereComesPete: aah, that is one of the things that'll turn yer hair white, yer not muckin about huh. Such a thing is dangerous, yer no that right? An I mean proper dangerous, some nasty stuff tends to happen if you get too much o that kinda knowins
Grimmie: He seems to shrug the warning off, like a child ignoring the warning from an ignorant, overbearing parent. "So you know where to find it?"
HereComesPete: Theres a select group o people lookin for it an all, currently I'd be a bloody fool fer sellin it to yer when dere lookin ter cough up plenty o scratch fer it, plus I reckon yer well behind all o fem in the money stakes, let alone when yer takin on a group of em

Grimmie: Does this guy just look a shopkeeper, can I do a spellcraft check to see if he's all dolled up in magical stuff, or if there's any anti-magic stuff in the building? I'd like to Charm Person him, but I just want to make sure I'm not gonna have egg on my face and piss off my only contact.
HereComesPete: yeah, spell craft, knowlege arcana and an appraise
Grimmie: 18 Spellcraft 14 Knowledge arcana 22 Appraise. Thank god for high ranks on the first two.
HereComesPete: the stock in the shop is a mixture of crap and some pretty good stuff, he's no wiggly fingers but he does know his way around a cantrip or two and is packing plenty of protective gewgaws and trinkets, a couple of them are pretty good items. He seems to be exactly what you'd expect from a general buyer and seller of arcane info and items
Grimmie: I figured somebody with knowledge on the BoVD was probably gonna have some protective gubbins. I shall diplome him instead. Xanuin runs a finger across the desk they're sat at and rubs the dust between his finger and thumb, doing his best to look unthreatened. "I'm sure a man with stock as fine as yours has little need for cash in exchange for pages like that. What you want is something equally spectacular to line your shelves with. I, Sir, am a do-er. I want to use the arcane knowledge I learn to benefit the world, to better it. Those groups would have you hand it over and hoard it for themselves, to covet it and seal it away. How about I perform a favour for you, in exchange for the pages?" Diplomacy 22! Nat 20. First decent roll all night.

HereComesPete: his pissy mood clears and he stops to think about it. Ordinarily I'd tell yer to fuck off, but as it happens there is summat yer might be able to help with
Grimmie: He looks up from his fingers. "Mmm?"
HereComesPete: well, it’s a bit of an odd one, mightnt even be doable for yer, there's a big bastard runs the pits in low town for one o the noble families (he spits the word noble) he's reckoned to have quite the stash o useful stuff from when he was off killin fings, more particular he's reckoned to have in his possession a rather useful device
Grimmie: Go on?
HereComesPete: rumour says he may be a big bastard, but some ring or amulet of his is the reason he can punch through stone like paper. I know someone oo wants it, but I aint got a clue where it is, what it is or even if its real, so if yer can categorically prove it's just cos he's a big hard half-ogre bastard, or appropriate this item for me, then one of the scrolls is yers fer keepin
Grimmie: Xanuin clucks his tongue and nods his head. "Shouldn't be a problem. Presumably you don't want the brute hurt, just parted from his little trinket, if it exists?" He takes a deep breath in and the corners of his lips straighten out to a line, which is what passes as a smile for the Elf. "I think we have a deal."
HereComesPete: haha, hurt! if yer can hurt im then I dint care and you dint never talks to me once the scroll is yers, I may even give yer both if yer put him in the ground
Grimmie: He adds, almost as an afterthought, "There's actually a spell I've been meaning to look in to that would.. Facilitiate the process. Make it effortless in fact, and the ring could be yours in a day. If someone were to help me find such a mundane scroll then that'd be in both of our interests."
HereComesPete: whassit yer wanting?
Grimmie: Xanuin licks his lips, as though he might actually be savouring the very name of the spell. "Entice Gift."
Grimmie: "My friend, in the hands of a capable spellcaster such as myself, the brute would simply lay the ring in my palm and close my fingers around it."
HereComesPete: I gots one o dem scrolls, it'll cost yer mind, can’t be givin fings away!
Grimmie: How much are you selling it for?
HereComesPete: unnerd gold fer you
Grimmie: With a wry smile he nods. "I'll consult the coffers and be back to you shortly, I'm sure. Thank you for your time, Mister Skuli.
HereComesPete: nah worries, I look forward to yer next visit. He gets up from the table you've sat at and buggers off to entice some of the other customers in to buying things
Grimmie: Woo. I'd call that success. Was a bit nervous about trying diplomacy as I've only got a +2, but it was the safer option
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Quick question, do we have money/gear?
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Xanuin brushes his fingers a few inches away from his robes, magically cleaning the luxurious purple material, and slips on a pair of black silk gloves.
Xanuin wrote:Come along, Morley. Let's get out of this dust-trap. Do you have any business to attend to in the city?
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Morley appears behind Xanuin at a respectable, but close distance.
Morley wrote:Very good, sir. I have no particularly pressing personal matters presently.
A little rules crunch to go with the RP fluff: Morley uses Move Silently habitually, even if there is no particular reason to do so. He feels that a stomping or even shuffling manservant would seem rude. Plus, he finds it easier for people to forget he is there that way, which can be... useful.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

I watched a program on modern man-servants where the butlers were doing weird things with doors and whatnot to ensure minimum noise at all times. Makes me replay the episode in an entirely different light.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

:lol:
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

So, having lost the conversation with bits I'll attempt a re-creation here.

Ragorr grabs his axe and swings for the door. It is reduced to firewood, with chunks whirring into the corridor like startled partridges. Some of the chunks find a home in the startled urchin who tells his message and takes to heels before Ragorr disposes of him.

Ragorr laughs, a series of growls and yips and barks out
Ragorr wrote:its your lucky day, they found me something more interesting for dinner!
Ragorr stomps towards the arming room and finds the huge half-ogre Borabas waiting for him. Borabas is angry because he's been sending people out to kill the beast his handlers have procured, but it's just minced everyone who's tried so far.
Borabas wrote:Aah Ragorr, just who I wanted to see, the new beast has been eating all the new fighters and the crowd are starting to get bored, get up there and show them some bloody spirit, give them a dead bloody beast and give me one as it's losing me money!
Ragorr wrote:crowd pleasing huh? I'll try not to make it too quick then...
Borabas wrote:You smug bastard I knew there was a reason I kept you on!
With the pleasantries over, Ragorr dons his leather straps and whatnot and heads out in to the arena, an oval with 6 pillars in the middle. He moves silently toward the nearest pillar, listening over the baying crowd and spots some tentacles wrapped around the next pillar along and hears the sound of sand being dug.

As he moves closer the crowd are hushed, the beast has moved and only some good rolls from bits let Ragorr sense any movement at all, the creature is a perfect ambush predator. It's moved to the top of the pillar, sensing him from afar.

Ragorr charges in screaming
Ragorr wrote:looks like its squid rings for dinner!
Taking a leap and swinging his axe, he connects and his brutal assault takes a couple of tentacles from the beast, it screams and then subsides in to angry hissing as it launches itself off the pillar at Ragorr. It lands two heavy blows that bloody Ragorr, but he's enraged and is pushing big HP, it reaches out to trip him as it falls, the intent is to drag him in and start crushing him. I rolled a 1, so it failed to do that and crashed in to the floor in a heap, Ragorr too the opportunity to sink his axe in to the beast again and sever a few more tentacles. Another hefty blow and the monster is holding on with spite and little else, it lashes back at Ragorr and brings him within a few HP of his life expiring with two heavy blows and a vicious bite. Ragorr responds by ripping aside his leather groin guard, straddling the mewling beast, grabbing some tentacles and ramming his cock in to the nearest available orifice or wound and fucking it, quite literally, to death.

The crowd goes wild, an audacious display of brute fury and bestiality from a big nasty bastard, and then he goes full crazy and fucks the beast to death whilst surrounded by spurts of chameleonic blood and the body parts of numerous less successful fighters. Ragorr collapses to the ground, bleeding and spent, exhausted from his rage wearing off. The crowd are stomping their feet and calling Ragorr's name, unusual to see such support for one of his kind. He's stretchered off to the healers as the crowd continues to roar. Borabas puts a bag of gold on his battered chest as he's carried past.
Borabas wrote:Double your usual there, that was quite the show, healers will patch you up, I'll send some urchins over to be getting on with.
He proffers a lascivious wink and waves a huge gnarled hand at one of his attendants to sort it out, then stomps up the amp in to the arena. As Ragorr is stretchered he hears him exhorting the crowd, describing with great relish the killing and fucking to cap the evening and ensure the crowds return.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

So FJ - is Noli going to take part in the ritual or watch from within the crowd?

Grimmie/Joose - who is off to the fighting pits, who is off to a nice hotel room?

shot2bits - you're currently victorious and unconscious. You've been awarded 600 gold by Borabas.