The Miniatures Project Thread

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: The Miniatures Project Thread

Post by Dog Pants »

Not bad at all mate. There's a lot of detail on those flesh tones. Having just looked at the Ork stuff there's some nice models in there. Not really my thing, but they look good.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Very nice PNut, I like the colours on the guns and nicely highlighted too.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Need to stop slacking. Need to stop slacking. Need to stop slacking. Need to stop slacking.....

I will finish mine soon! Promise!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I need to stop slacking and get my tanks built. I'm itching to do it but never seem to have the time.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Doggers?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Yeah not far off. Usually for me I look at the time after all that bollocks and think "no point now, bed time in half an hour."
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I actually did some tonight! I have however found my boltmetal pot is totally screwed so I've had to chuck it. As I was doing acrylics for other bits I've left the guns for now, but will endeavour to finish them this week with enamels instead.

All I've got left is the weapons, some touchup on fabrics (and a wash on the tunics and such) and then I'm pretty much done. They don't look that good though.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Finished assembling my Wyvern tonight. It's a bit of a beast, and I've left it in about 7 pieces to paint. Despite that I can pop the bits together to see what it looks like assembled. I'm hoping I can try to trim the anti-air cannons down so that they slot into the end of the mortar tubes to pass off as a Hydra if need be. Seems a waste not to have the opportunity (or to have to spend £35 on another kit if I need some AA cover).
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Thats a good idea mate but have you ever thought about using magnets? They can make it a lot easier to change guns/turrets about.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've seen them used and when I googled multi-purposing a Hydra there was a guy who did it, but he said it was a pain in the arse (and it does sound that way). So I thought fuck it. Plus it would mean ordering the magnets and waiting to assemble the model because they need to go inside it. It wasn't worth it, I'm not that bothered about the Hydra.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Fair enough mate, I was considering doing it with my Dreadnought but in the end couldn't be arsed.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Gah! really lacking in motivation right now. I have a ton of stuff to build and paint now but whenever I think about how much I have to do it really puts me off.
Any tips on getting motivated?
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

I tend build, undercoat and base coat a squad in one go but I do everything else one model at a time, so I will completely finish off one mini before moving on to the next. Doesn't seem quite so daunting that way.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Don't think about fielding an army, it'll be years before we use them. Pick out a character or vehicle and just enjoy painting it in isolation. If that gets you happy painting again then get on with a squad. Once you've got a finished product and can see the end result it might spur you on.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I suspect you bitches may enjoy these things (not quite miniatures, but contains deity grade paint skills)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHITcrnGn1U[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBHQ7lQGOf0[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXzxEqdvuIE[/media]
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Just so Pnut doesn't nag, current progress:

Lots of brown :) Will be adding some more splashes of colour to the belts and legs/dangling fabrics. Have a little bit of tidy up to do, and a brown wash to add over the guns. Bases will just get a flat colour at some point in the future.

Also, the second Adam Savage video is what I was on about on TS the other day as to how I normally do my models. Granted, I don't often go to that extreme with individual parts: they get primed on the sprue, maybe a bulk colour, but then assembled, glued and then put on a rod for easy 360 degree painting.

Edit: Think this blog has been posted before, but this set of BA Tactical Marines is lush: http://studiojollyroger.com/blood-angel ... -finished/
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

:likesitall:
Looking good Buzz, now just hurry up and get them finished ;)

I really like the paint job on those Blood Angels, air brushing seems to give a much nicer finish in my opinion.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

I have got about as far as I can get with my Death Company Dreadnought, all that's left is the blood talons, which I am not sure how I'm going to paint yet.

Image Image
Image Image

And again with my first Death Company dude, I'm not sure about doing a decent job on power weapons so I'm heading to GW on Wednesday for some pointers.

Image Image
Image Image

I dry brushed and washed the armour (etherium blue and nuln oil) on both of these and on the metal parts of the Dread (necron compound and nuln oil).
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

They're looking really good. I love the matte black and it looks like you've done a great job on the detail. Very nice.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

I went to GW today and got some pointers on painting power weapons.

I'm really chuffed with the way they have turned out and surprisingly, they not that difficult to paint.