The Miniatures Project Thread

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

The Miniatures Project Thread

Post by Anery »

So, I have a nasty habit of starting projects relating to miniatures and then abandoning them for no real reason. I can't be the only one so hopefully this thread will provide us with motivation to continue what we start. The idea being that by sharing our projects and updated progress other folks can offer advice and tips and encourage mayflies like myself to actually finish a project.
I'll post my first project of the year - finish my Blood Angels tactical squad at last - as soon as I get around to it can get a couple of decent photos of where I am up to (not very far)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: The Miniatures Project Thread

Post by Dog Pants »

I'll join in that. I've not much that I haven't started, but I have a couple of options. A bunch of Mechs for my Draconis company, or a Warlord Titan (two actually, and two Warhounds, but I'll just do one) from Epic Space Marine. I'll decide which, I have a year to do whichever I go with.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Hmm. Hmmmmmmm. Been tempted to get my paint on for a while now.
Athough admittidly not in the minatures as your're thinking about. Still got a couple of model kits knocking around which I want to do.
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by The Shutting Downs »

I like the idea, I'm in a journeyman tournament for the Privateer Press games at the moment, so you have to paint as you play over 6 months, and a record would help to motivate and receive C&C
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

That's War Machine (and Horde?) isn't it? I Kickstarted the the PC version and I'm looking forward to it, but I noticed they do very nice miniatures.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

OK so...
My current project consists of a ten man tactical squad of Blood Angels, consisting of 7 marines with bolters, one with a missle launcher, one with a meltagun and a sgt with chainsword and plasma pistol (not keen on plasma may change later) I have been loosely following a guide from here which has been quite helpful, but I am struggling to paint them all as a batch and so I could end up with a uncohesive squad. I plan on painting the remainder of the unit on a batch basis but would appreciate any help.

Current status.
4 headless, armless and packless marines. One of these will have the rocket launcher. I should add the arms and heads to the others before I procede to paint up more.

Two marines and Sgt. This shows what happens when you are spray painting and the wind catches the paint - bubbles! need to put these to the scrubbing brush, remove weapons and remove Sgts head - these I will paint seperately. Nabbed the Sgts shoulder pad and chainsword from Death Company, they have plenty.

Bad picture, but this lone marine needs detailing. Going back to my problem with unit cohesion - at least from a paint point of view - this model is a brighter red than the two that I have managed to finish:

Not totally happy with these but its my first unit, they will probably get replaced very quickly as my skill - hopefully - increases and I consider them to be tabletop standard at least. Need a bit of tidying around the bases and maybe a bit more detailing.
Hmm, that marine on the left does seem to be gazing longingly at the one next to him.
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

May I recommend these guys:

http://shop.thearmypainter.com/products ... tGroupId=2

The above link is their spray primers, matched to the normal paints they do, and very close to GW shades. Dragon Red is good for Blood Angels (or so they say)

My Space wolves are all primed with their wolf grey, and it's not noticeably different, and saves a lot of time (I guess I should finish them at some point, but I am not in a 40k mood, except for the Kill Team set-up)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've got some Army Painter stuff and as someone who's been using Citadel for 20 years I reckon it's just as good quality. It's cheaper too. I've been mixing and matching recently.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

I bought a bunch of Necrons and a Nightbringer back in college and kinda started to paint them, but drifted away from the friend who was teaching me how to Warhammer, and my interest in the game kinda waned. I could use them as comical zombies in a D&D game in future, but I think I'm more likely to paint them just for fun.

I'll take some pictures some time. They're black and red (I was going through a predictable colour scheme phase) but I think I'd like to re-paint them in crazy neon 80s colours. I have no idea how to even approach painting the metal Nightbringer.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Anery, if you can try to do much of the painting, especially base coats, while everything is on the sprue and you should end up with more consistant colour ranges.

I found when doing my Tau (and some of my later Space Wolves stuff), it's far more consistant and faster if you mass prime them and mass paint their base coats, preferably sprayed in a fairly wind free environment (ie, a garage).

Things like washes can also be done on the sprue, as you can ensure an even coating with the same batch of wash, which was for me, the biggest tell other stuff got painted seperately.

It's basically nigh on impossible to make an identical wash unless you do it drop by drop with a pipet and make written notes of paint/thinner mixture.
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

$85 for three minis? Methinks I'm going to wait for printers to continue to fall in price.
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Grimmie wrote:$85 for three minis? Methinks I'm going to wait for printers to continue to fall in price.
That is the Kickstarter reward, I don't think it's the normal price, and the 85 does get you other stuff as well.

I can see how it is a huge plug for Heromachine the rest of the time.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

buzzmong wrote:Anery, if you can try to do much of the painting, especially base coats, while everything is on the sprue and you should end up with more consistant colour ranges.
I don't like to do that. I fanny around too much getting rid of burrs and mould lines when they are off the sprue.

I've got all the bits required to complete my squad off the sprue, I've primed them with mechrite red (mephiston red in new money, matte bergundy to everyone else) so skipping the black primer stage. I hope to get them up to the same stage as the bodies before I attach the head and the backpacks, I'll attach the arms when I have the chest details done. Some might go on now as they won't interfere too much. Three badly primed fully built marines have been scrubbed in soapy water to remove any bubble effect caused by my shite spray painting, they will be based in mechrite red too.
I enjoy this stage, I fucking hate cleaning burrs and mould lines though.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

I've been thinking about starting painting again for a while now but I would be starting from scratch as I have no brushes and my paints are about 20 years old. Would I be best shopping around on the net for a brush set or just biting the bullet and getting the set from GW(£43£40.50 for 10 brushes) while I'm in there tomorrow?
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Found this tool guide whilst browsing through BoLs, quite handy for anyone who is interested in modelling/conversions.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I love a spot of conversion. I've got the GW drill and a little powered one, but neither prevent the bit slipping back up into the vice, which really bugs me. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Pnut wrote:Found this tool guide whilst browsing through BoLs, quite handy for anyone who is interested in modelling/conversions.
I need to get myself some new clippers, mine are a bit bulky and still leave a lot of sprue attached after I've cut the pieces out.

EDIT
Hopefully you haven't purchased any brushes yet PNut but http://www.gamesandgears.co.uk/ProStudi ... od06q.dpbs are cheap for what they are and that set will beat the GW one anyday.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Anery wrote: EDIT
Hopefully you haven't purchased any brushes yet PNut but http://www.gamesandgears.co.uk/ProStudi ... od06q.dpbs are cheap for what they are and that set will beat the GW one anyday.
He has, and he's already ruined one :)
That set looks quite nice, do you have them?
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

buzzmong wrote:He has, and he's already ruined one :)
That set looks quite nice, do you have them?
Eh, you live and learn. I have several GW brushes and they perform nicely. I mangled a couple when I started painting again, it happens :)
I havn't bought that set yet, I plan on getting it at the end of the month. I was tempted to buy the nice stand that goes with it but I don't really have anywhere to put it (my kitchen table is my workspace)