D&D Adventure #5: Oakgate Complex

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: D&D Adventure #5: Oakgate Complex

Post by Dog Pants »

Well Shankley is one for big spending, and a flashy rapier might be lighter, better balanced and more suitable for enchanting. It's a good deal too, I wouldn't be able to afford it at full price.
Shankley wrote:This certainly is a most splendid blade. It's poor business for me to say so, but I wouldn't do you the injustice of trying to haggle you down.
Shankley produces his money and counts out 23 plat, looking towards Ivan. The coin purse looks significantly emptier now but Shankley gives it a quick jingle and smiles.
Shankley wrote:Share the wealth eh? We could all be dead tomorrow.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Ivan gladly takes the platinum and lets it trickle into a pocket on the inside of his coat with a satisfied smile.
Ivan wrote:Thanks, friend. Enjoy her.
Gelbi rummages around in his satchel for a short while before tugging out a small quiver full of wands. At length he selects one from the dozen or so bundled up, points it at Thoon's stinking sack, and speaks a foreign command word. A little green spark arcs through the air with a crackle (Spellcraft skill check if anyone wants to identify it without outright asking him) but the head doesn't look any different. He replaces it and draws another one, this time a little white bulb of light shoots from the tip and appears to blast away the muck and grime hanging from the Death Dog's severed head.
Gelbi wrote:There! Good as new. Sort of.
The pair travel alongside you for some time, breaking briefly in Orhedge to stretch their legs and exchange a few coins with vendors, but soon you're on your way to Wildemill where you'll be spending the night. Gelbi, as it turns out, used to be a bard before he turned his silver tongue towards sales, finding that he made a lot more money selling steel than he ever did singing songs. He has plenty of tales to tell. Ivan keeps to himself mostly, but seems at home riding alongside the others on his horse, just enjoying the countryside.

Wildemill is also where you'll be parting ways, as Gelbi explains they're heading to Ironmill the next morning (to the north-east) where you'll be heading down towards Arrow and then Oakgate itself (south-east). They encourage you all to come and visit them at Gronkwood Pass some time (a point about equal distance between your two destinations).

Any business in Orhedge or Wildemill? Any words for your travelling companions, or shall I move swiftly onwards?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've nothing specific to say to them, but I'm happy to engage them in conversation on the journey. I expect I'll be outshone by Glibberig though. I will mention where we're headed in passing though, just to see if it prompts a reaction from Gelbi. If we've time I'll drop by the temple in Orhedge and say hi, but again I'm only really making pleasantries.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Gelbi doesn't really react when you mention Oakgate. It's just a small forest in the south to most people, and the university are only interested in it because they've found some dusty old buried ruin they want to poke around in.

Forenrond, on your way in to Wildemill you pass the church you and Bart liberated a few weeks ago. There's scaffolding up the side and it looks as though they're rebuilding the porch and roof. A few tents are pitched outside, and a group of men in winter coats chat with each other around a fire, having downed tools for the night.

Incidently I've just traced your route to Oakgate and it's a bit like a reverse chronological timeline of all of Shankley's adventures to date. Hopefully this should give you a bit of an idea of where you're heading, too.

At Wildemill you manage to find a warm bed at The Staggering Squire, though the innkeeper takes a bit of convincing to allow a huge bear in to the stable. The wine and ales served are heady and strong, and Thoon's offered a few extra drinks on the house when the barman recognises the sigil of Wenta on his shield. Breakfast the next day is fresh bread with fruit dipping sauce.

You're setting off before Gelbi and Ivan, so your two groups say farewell and part ways. You're on your way to Arrow, a village famed for the high number of King's Bowmen it produces each year.

At about noon you see ahead of you a roadblock that bars the way to Arrow, wooden stakes buried in the wet ground branch left and right at 90 degree angles from the road. A standard flaps on a flagpole in the chill autumn wind and three figures stand at the gap in the stakes on the road. Bill stops the caravan and whistles for you to come forward.
Bill Brassknuckles wrote:What do you make of that then, lads? Wasn't here last time I travelled this road, but then I've not been down here in at least a month. Want to go ahead and see what the fuss is, or should we soldier on together?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'd say wait here. I've never encountered a toll on these roads either. Could be trouble.
Can I see anything of the figures? Armed, armoured? Human? Do I recognise the heraldry of the standard?

Spot:
Roll(1d20)+5:
11,+5
Total:16
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Knowledge: Nobility and Royalty will let you identify the heraldry.
Knowledge: Local would probably be useful in this situation too, actually.

It looks like this.

Looks like three Human men in light armour, each with a longbow to their side. They're all facing your caravan and talking amongst themselves.

You can just make out a group of horses tied to a post behind the stakes to the left, too.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Bill tugs his coat around his shoulders and reaches for his porta-keg.
Bill Brassknuckles wrote:Okay. Now what?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Sorry, I have none of those knowledge skills. I was hoping someone else might. I'm not keen on the idea of just trotting up to these guys.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Thor doesn't have and relevant knowledge he can call upon, but he doesn't like the look of it. He'll ask if anyone recognises the symbol.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Thoon wrote:I've come across some of these in my time, let me have a look
Knowledge: Nobility and Royalty (+2)
Roll(1d20)+2:
12,+2
Total:14
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Excellent. You recognise the heraldry as that of Arrow, sort of.

The banner you've seen marched along the Prince's Path by long lines of royal bowmen looks more like this, though.

The vine circling the arrowhead is supposed to have two leaves, and the flower is supposed to be purple, so either they ran out of purple fabric when they were making flags, or this is just some cheap imitation.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Flag counterfeiters! I hate those guys. We outnumber them (unless there's more waiting in ambush), but I'm as intimidating as an elderly kitten. If any one else fancies a go it might work. I might also go for a sneak in the woods, although they'll blatantly see me going in. Anyone any suggestions?
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Dog Pants wrote:I might also go for a sneak in the woods, although they'll blatantly see me going in.
There's not much in the way of woodland where you are (about three quarters of the way between Wildemill and Arrow, on that map above), mostly plains. However, there's probably tall enough grass for you to dip in to if you crouch and move slowly.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Well we're not going to be ambushed by elephants at least. There might still be people in there though.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Maybe the sneaky prawns can sneak their way to the side of the roadblock and ready their arrows, while the rest of us go talk to them and in case they attack we'll have the draw on them.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

If you're all in tactical doubt, ask yourself "What would my character do in this situation?"

Are they trusting or untrusting? Friendly or standoffish? Willing to listen to tactics and teamwork or blunt and to the point?

I do rather like that I've made you jittery though :)
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Thoon doesn't mind opening negotiations, to him all are equal in the drunken beer goggles of Wenta. If they turn out to be thieving shits they'll still be equal, but also dead.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Thor does have some sneaking ability but I don't think he's that great at it and it's not really his style. He'll approach with Thoon to around bow range at least.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Shankley's paranoid and hates authority. He's going to dismount behind the wagon and us the cover to sneak into the grass.

Hide:
Roll(1d20)+6:
14,+6
Total:20

Move Silently:
Roll(1d20)+6:
16,+6
Total:22