Eclipse Phase: Terminal Velocity

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

Eclipse Phase: Terminal Velocity

Post by Joose »

Welcome to Eclipse Phase! The idea behind this game is a tutorial like adventure, introducing you gradually to both the setting and the rules. I thought this might be better than just dumping it all on you in one go, as there is quite a lot to take in. So first off, a brief intro of the basics of dice rolling.

Everything in Eclipse Phase is done with d10, and it is nearly always 2d10 with one representing tens and the other units. So, for example, rolling a 3 and a 5 would give you 35. In this system, 0 is 0, not 10, so a roll of 00 is the lowest you can roll, and 99 is the highest. Normally, there would be some threshold set to determine success, which will be based on your characters skill and modified. You succeed a roll by getting a roll under that threshold, so in most cases the lower the better.

For the moment though, I would like everyone to make a roll, with no threshold or modifiers. Whoever gets the best (lowest) roll gets to wake up first!

I'll be giving you your stats and whatnot as they become relevant. I know we have gone through characters roles in the other thread, but assume for the moment that you know absolutely nothing.
munchkin
Squirrel
Squirrel

Re: Eclipse Phase: Terminal Velocity

Post by munchkin »

Rolled 18

this luck will not hold!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Roll(2d10)+0:
5,3,+0
Total:53

Does that make me half awake? Arf.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Roll 2d10: 7, 1: 71 then?
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by The Shutting Downs »

Roll(2d10)+0:
2,5,+

25 here.

Should I be getting a 'back to reality' red dwarf feel here?
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

okeydoke.

First to wake up is munchkin. You wake to find yourself on the flat roof of a suburban American style building. You feel kinda woozy, and realise that you have no idea how you got here, where you are or indeed who you are. In fact, your only memories are distant, fuzzy and from your childhood. Other than a bit of a woolly head, you are unhurt. You can hear a rhythmic chopping noise coming from somewhere below you, inside the house, but its otherwise quiet.

Next to wake up is TSD. You wake on a leather sofa, in front of a television. It looks like there was a hell of a part last night; there are discarded plastic cups and mostly empty bowls of stale snack food everywhere. The television is showing nothing but static, and is muted. You also have no recent memories and feel slightly stunned, but are unhurt. You can hear a rhythmic chopping noise from somewhere in the house behind you.

Next to wake is Pants. You wake up on the floor of a bathroom, curled up in front of the loo. The toilet looks…well, you guess that your lack of memory and the state of the toilet may be related to the empty bottle of champagne next to you. You feel fine now though, apart from a bit of a wobbly head. There is a chopping noise coming from somewhere outside the bathroom.

The last to wake is deject. You wake up flat on your back, on the floor of what appears to be a reasonably nice kitchen. You’ve no idea where you are either, and have the same memory problems and fuzzy head as the others. As you open your eyes you see a humanoid robot standing at one of the kitchen work surfaces, rhythmically chopping chives. There are a couple of plates of omelettes next to it. It seems to notice the movement, and pauses its chopping to look down at you.
Robot wrote:Are you a resident/guest of this house?
(A couple of explanationy points: None of you can currently see, or are aware of each other in any way. I'll let you know when you start bumping timelines together. It wont be too long, but for the moment you are essentially running four different games. I might change how we are doing this if it gets too confusing, but for the moment I figure it'll move things along quicker if you all go at the same time, although that doesn't necessarily mean that things are happing in the order they are posted, if you see what I mean. I'll do my best to explain if/when anything one player does has an effect on the other players.

Oh, and im just using your forum names at the moment as place-holders, as none of your characters can currently remember their real names. When it gets to the point where you can remember or find out, you will be free to name them whatever you want)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'll pick up the champaign bottle, examine it, then dump it in the toilet.
What the fuck?
I'll examine myself for injuries and/or bodily fluids, try to wash off any of the latter, and take a few swigs of water from the tap (a well rehearsed routine if the character is anything like me). Smells bad in here. I'll have a quick look for any items which light up when I move my cursor over (haha, only kidding, but I will have a quick poke about), and check my pockets. Them I'll stumble out of the bathroom to try to find out where the hell I am.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Dog Pants wrote:and take a few swigs of water from the tap (a well rehearsed routine if the character is anything like me)
Just hope you didn't also throw up in the sink...
munchkin
Squirrel
Squirrel

Post by munchkin »

I'll stand up and realise I've got a few blobs of bird poo on my clothes.
crap....literally
I'll have a look around, see if there's anything else on the roof with me, what I can see from the roof, and how high off the ground I am.
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Time to channel surf, lets get the sound up and see what passes for news today.

Feet up on the sofa.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:I'll examine myself for injuries and/or bodily fluids, try to wash off any of the latter, and take a few swigs of water from the tap (a well rehearsed routine if the character is anything like me). Smells bad in here. I'll have a quick look for any items which light up when I move my cursor over (haha, only kidding, but I will have a quick poke about), and check my pockets. Them I'll stumble out of the bathroom to try to find out where the hell I am.
You are free of both injuries and bodily fluids (well, no fluids on the outside. You assume the normal arrangement of fluids are present and correct on your insides). There's not much in the room other than the champagne bottle, a handtowel, and some toiletries. It looks more like a hotel bathroom than a bathroom in someones house. Apart from the mess you apparently made of the toilet, its all rather neat and tidy. You have bugger all in your pockets.

As you are now a bit more aware of yourself, I shall start handing out some stats. I've broken the character sheets down, so you will be being drip fed your information as and when your character becomes aware of it. For now, its basic stats only, which you can read all about on page 121-123 of the main rules. Doggers, here are yours.

Opening the bathroom door leads on to an open plan kitchen/dining room effort....at which point I'll be putting you on pause till the others have caught up a little.
munchkin wrote:I'll have a look around, see if there's anything else on the roof with me, what I can see from the roof, and how high off the ground I am.
You look around, and can see rows and rows of extremely similar houses around you. It looks like a nice, but dull suburban american area, like this:

Its quite a nice day, with not a cloud in the sky. The sun is only just over the horizon, and you cant see any signs of life from the other houses, so it seems pretty early. What you dont see is any way down. For that matter, you dont see any obvious way you got up either. Its a relatively flat bit of roof, but there are no windows or anything on your level. Looking over the side shows you that you are on top of a regular sized two story house.

Munchkins stats are here
Time to channel surf, lets get the sound up and see what passes for news today.

Feet up on the sofa.
The sound controls dont seem to be working, but you do manage to find a couple of channels that seem to be showing footage of riots somewhere. Theres no text or logos to say where the footage is from though. As you keep flicking, it changes to footage of what appears to be a factory of some sort. You can see abandoned car parts in the background; some bodywork and a windscreen. Whatever its making now sure as hell isn't a car though. It looks like a large, tapering tube. You can make a COG x 3 test, as something about this scene is tickling your otherwise blank memory.

TSD's stats are here.
munchkin
Squirrel
Squirrel

Post by munchkin »

I reckon I've got to get off this roof somehow. I'm going to lower myself off the edge, hang at arms length and then drop to the ground.
munchkin
Squirrel
Squirrel

Post by munchkin »

According to my live-in GM I need to roll <60 (SOM x3)

Rolled 13
Hooray! I'm not on the roof anymore, I'm going to look around for a door.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

You drop to the floor without injuring yourself. In fact, it doesn't even hurt a little, despite dropping a floor and a half on to a concrete driveway.

From down here you can see that the ground floor of the house is mostly garage, with the front door off to one side. The door is slightly ajar.
munchkin
Squirrel
Squirrel

Post by munchkin »

In those immortal words
i'm going in!
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

SO cogx3 would mean that total or under yes?

Roll(2d10)+0:

so 53, I'd guess a fail then, brain is still catching up.

Lets watch more TV!
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I'll slowly stand up and ask the robot what's the deal.
Uuuuggghhhhhh. For lack of a better choice, I'll say, affirmative. I am a resident/guest in this house. Where is this house again?
Without waiting for a response, I'll grab at one of the omelettes to start eating.
munchkin
Squirrel
Squirrel

Post by munchkin »

I'm having a look around inside now. Anything interesting?
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

The Shutting Downs wrote:so 53, I'd guess a fail then, brain is still catching up.
Lets watch more TV!
Yup, it looks kinda familiar, but you cant place it. A couple of the big tapering tubes roll off the production line out of shot, then the tv goes back to static.
deject wrote:I'll slowly stand up and ask the robot what's the deal.
Uuuuggghhhhhh. For lack of a better choice, I'll say, affirmative. I am a resident/guest in this house. Where is this house again?
Without waiting for a response, I'll grab at one of the omelettes to start eating.
The robot nods slightly at you, then goes back to its cooking. It ignores the question. The omelette is strangely tasteless.
munchkin wrote:I'm having a look around inside now. Anything interesting?
Theres a short corridor, with empty coat hooks. Stairs at the end lead up to an open plan house, at one end of which is a kitchen area with a robot chopping things to make omelettes, and a guy stuffing his face. At the other end is a couple of sofas and a telly, with a guy apparently watching static. On the other side of the room, a door has just opened and a rather rough looking guy is coming out from the toilet.

In case you havent guessed, you have now all met up!
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

After I've finished with the oddly flavorless omelette, I'll head out of the kitchen and cautiously approach the others.
Who are you guys then? And where am I?