EVE Game Time

Massively Mongy Online gaming. Bum your way through the internet public.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Morrill
Ferret
Ferret

EVE Game Time

Post by Morrill »

Hello mates. Its been way to long as i work 2 jobs. Eve is offering free game time for 7 days and I'm giving it a whirl. You can too.

https://secure.eveonline.com/RecallProg ... type=share
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Re: EVE Game Time

Post by Grimmie »

A few people at beard bash were discussing coming back to eve for a week just to arse around, kill pirates and fly around shouting willes, so we might take advantage of that.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Those 7 free days links need to be provided by players and they get rewards if anyone actually resubs. Here's mine: https://secure.eveonline.com/RecallProg ... type=share

Alternatively, if you don't have an old account to use or want to start a new one from scratch, you can use the regular buddy linky which gives you an extended trial (and more free stuff if you decide to sub): https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?inv ... tion=buddy

Scream if you do jump on - X-5punkers channel is still there and I have 5punkorp's CEO on an active account if you want to revive it.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

I really should get my original character back from Dres. I chucked it over to him when I stopped playing and never got it back...
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

I have a confession (but not a diary)

I came across a 21 day trial a few days ago so i decided to roll a character and revisit eve after about 8 years, i really didn't realize it had been quite that long. I've actually been enjoying just popping in doing a few newbie bits here and there, will possibly use one of those 7 day re-activations if i can remember my old account details. i am tentatively considering subbing for a couple of months and seeing how it goes, will jump into the x-5punkers channel for a bumming
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'd love to have a flit around Eve again for a while, but I know I'd go through my whole trial and not find time to play it. Also, I'm not sure if I'm logged out somewhere in 0.0 that was friendly when I last played in 2006 but will almost certainly not be now. I wonder where my ships are.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Is there an easy way to get back to a starter system from badspace? I'm guessing it'll be a long limp back to somewhere nice. Could always make new accounts?
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Grimmie wrote:Is there an easy way to get back to a starter system from badspace? I'm guessing it'll be a long limp back to somewhere nice. Could always make new accounts?
i could be wrong, but I think new accounts= longer trial periods too. Im going to new account it certainly, but then I no longer have my old account.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Surely I'd be better off podded and losing my ships than starting a new account? At least I'd still have my skills and cash. And any ships I stashed in highsec. And my name.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

I think we just wanted to arse around shooting NPC pirates rather than going out in battleships and stuff.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

You think I had a battleship? Have you ever played a videogame with me?
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Looking at options, you can get a month's-worth with the EVE Online: Starter Pack on Steam for a sale price of £3.24, but I think that limits you in the future from buying other packages - all subscription and other purchases will have to be made through Steam and you might be ineligible for other EVE deals on Steam too.

Their main site offers a 14-day trial, whereas using a buddy link will give you 21 days (or 7 days for a reactivated account).

I tried a 14-day trial a while back, just to have a look about and see the changes, and to be honest I only lasted about 5 days, what we spoke about at the bash was mostly just mucking about for a bit, so new accounts are probably better in that regard, coupled with that not all of us were able to do it immediately - so the best option is probably using a buddy link for a new account, as it will hopefully find us together at some point during that slightly longer window. It won't offer much to the person buddying us if we don't resub though, other than perhaps having some stupid company.

I did have a battleship, and a couple of stealth ones, but I gave them all to the corp when I unsubbed, so am probably floating penniless in a pod somewhere unpleasant.

A new account would be more immediate fun, one of the reasons I stopped playing was that I increasingly had more to lose.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Regular trial = 14 days

Paid steam starter pack = 30 days

Buddy link from a current player = 3 weeks plus I can claim a free 1 month time code if you sub (which I'll happily give to you - the sell for 650mill isk or thereabouts)

Re-activating old account with the reinvite link above = 7 days, plus some unknown reward if you resub.

The new start experience is massively different from the old days and actually pretty good. You start with more SP and toys, so can get up and running quite a lot sooner. If your old account is stuck in deep space it's a pretty simple job to suicide pod yourself back to high sec.

ISK really isn't an issue, I literally have more than I know what to do with and can give anyone a starter bung if you really need it.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

A combination of no willpower and a few quid in my steam account has resulted in me getting the 30 day steam starter pack. Its downloading now. I'll be on later.

I feel like an alcoholic who has just fell off the wagon.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I've gone for the 21-day free option with friz's buddy link.

I made a Minmatar and done a few of the tutorial stuffs and it's certainly a lot more immediate that I remember it being. You get all the learning skills, plus a few free ships and modules right from the get-go, so there's certainly a lot more hand-holding and a lot less worrying about what you need to train to train before you can do the thing you want to do.

Once you're done with the basic "how do I fly ship" tutorial, it introduces career tracks for exploration, business, industry and military - the first two of which I honestly had no clue about even after months of playing previously. How it pans out after I've done those, I've yet to see - but it's certainly a softer introduction than the one I remember from nine years ago.

It's rather fun, which contrasts sharply with my experience six years ago, when I stopped playing.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

I have also succumbed to the Steam deal. Eep. Gonna roll up a Frenchie and potter around later. Anyone wanna join?
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I've started over and signed up with the Steam deal, as it counts as a real account, not a trial one. One limitation of the trial account is that you can't train certain skills, such as Industrial ships - the prize for completion of the newbie Industrial track being a ship you couldn't use without that skill trained.
Anhamgrimmar
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by Anhamgrimmar »

Dog Pants wrote:I'd love to have a flit around Eve again for a while, but I know I'd go through my whole trial and not find time to play it. Also, I'm not sure if I'm logged out somewhere in 0.0 that was friendly when I last played in 2006 but will almost certainly not be now. I wonder where my ships are.
Yeah, i'm pretty sure you had a cyclone the last time i saw you, logged of at a tower in...KDF-GY i think? you may have some issues if you log back in.

Don't make me come back, i already work stupid long hours, i don't need a second job!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I vaguely remember possibly getting back to Rens or Jita at some point, and that some kind soul (Friz probably) put my ships somewhere safe when the POS was pulled down. Either way, I've no time to play it.
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

Hmm? Eve? It's like smoking - you never really quit.