TES Online

Massively Mongy Online gaming. Bum your way through the internet public.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

TES Online

Post by Thompy »

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6m9-Dret0U[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3GThZj_Z54[/media]

The info is from a yet to be officially released Game Informer exclusive.

Nothing really stands out from the feature list, it's everything that has been or is currently being done. I have no excitement for it as I've never played a TES game, which I'm sure makes me a Bad Person. Believing will come with the seeing.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Re: TES Online

Post by Roman Totale »

Consider my chin stroked with interest.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Sounds great, with a massive area to explore, but that may also be its downfall.

While I've always wanted to go to the other places, particularly Elsweyr where the Khajit come from, I would prefer those places to have the attention to detail given them that we've seen in the singleplayer games, most notably in Skyrim. With such a massive gameworld, I can't help thinking they will be forced to use a cookie-cutter approach, such as was seen in the dungeons of Oblivion.
Killavodka
Cheese Lord
Cheese Lord

Post by Killavodka »

Was very pessimistic about the Elder Scrolls moving to an MMO format but watched this video and it may have swayed me somewhat...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxJTsq2XeKY[/media]
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

The guy is trying to sell the combat as the same thing as Skyrim basically, but what I'm seeing is the same old boring MMO combat where two people stand next to each other and just swing swords until one dies. I've never been into MMOs, but this doesn't really seem to grape my squildo at all.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

I was thinking pretty much the same as Deej, but if they put a bit of something extra into combat other than press buttons in best rotation (or at least hide it a bit) then I can't help but be interested in this, it looks lubberly.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

So, what the video is saying is that the population of this world are fucktards?
Skyrim is set 200 years after this game and yet everyone is still running round in armour and weilding swords? 200 years and they couldn't even invent firearms? Considering they have colleges of wizards studying this kind of shit, and dwarves who use steam power I find this very hard to believe.
Star Wars did the same thing - in the length of time it took Anakin to grow up, become an intergalactic fuck head, have kids and for THEM to grow up - tech hadn't budged an inch, still using the same fucking light sabres the same droids...
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Its a common problem with the fantasy genre, that. Thousands of years will pass and yet everyone is clomping around in basically the same kind of armour and sticking people with basically the same kind of swords. What *really* bugs me is that if there is any difference to modern tech and ancient tech in a fantasy world its generally the wrong way around: The older the sword the more likely it is to be awesome. D&D settings tend to be the same, as is LoTR.

Star Wars actually has an excuse for that I believe (I've not read the extended universe stuff myself mind, so this may be wrong): The Empire caused everything to stagnate and go a bit shitty, which is why everyone in the the prequel films flies around in shiny fancy things and everyone in the original films fly around in things that look like space-jalopies. You could argue that the Empire themselves ought to have advanced somewhat, but to that I would point at the Death Star. Plus, if you look at the third film there is what is quite clearly a precursor to the AT-AT wandering around in one of the fight scenes.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

For a non-specific example, the Dark Ages lasted a thousand years, so for a fantasy setting it's not that unreasonable. The steampunk Dwarf guys are all dead, so they're not likely to be advancing technology any time soon. However, there weren't colleges of magic in the Dark Ages, or indeed any educational facilities above monasteries. Sci-fi often does a similar thing - civilisation was once great and progressing, but some cataclysm caused the knowledge to be lost of how to develop technology so all people can do is at best replicate what's already there, and in many cases they have to just keep salvaging and repairing what's there. See Battletech, Mass Effect, WH40K, anything with stargates/jumpgates. Even Star Wars to some extent - during the years of the Empire the holonet which was used to communicate across the galaxy was shut down and reserved for Imperial use (hence why Darth can chat to the Emperor in real time but the rebels have to send messengers). It would be nice to see progression though, if only for variety. American expansion era orc wars, slowly exterminating the unprogressed greenskins with rifles, cavalry and cannon. Modern xenophobia, media hysteria and faux acceptance of other races. Hell, I might adapt one myself.

EDIT: I mean I might adapt a beardygame, I'm not talented enough for vidyagames.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Star wars goes with the whole empires rise and fall and time is a big wheel thing out of feudal Japan and a caste system similar to jidaigeki as a nod to that. I reckon it's all just balls that they made up.

The problem with fantasy stuff is a lot of people want to play fantasy and the problem with modern steam/techno/noir stuff is that people want to play modern steam/techno/noir and the gaming industry doesn't seem to figure all too often that it might be the same people.

Plus with fantasy if you've got wizards that can do all the cool shit then why would you have inventors? The clever buggers would go and learn to be more wizards instead of messing round in sheds.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Maybe not everyone can be a wizard. And maybe scientists treat magic as just another science (which incidentally is how it is in the protobeard I started ages ago).
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Dog Pants wrote:Maybe not everyone can be a wizard. And maybe scientists treat magic as just another science (which incidentally is how it is in the protobeard I started ages ago).
Then if you can't be a wizard because you need wizardy balls then the wizards will stop anyone else from doing stuff that takes power. Underground inventor insurrection!
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:Maybe not everyone can be a wizard. And maybe scientists treat magic as just another science (which incidentally is how it is in the protobeard I started ages ago).
Whenever conversations go this way, im always reminded of Arcanum. Not everyone can throw fireballs, but pretty much everyone can point a gun and pull a trigger.

Even in worlds where anyone can do magic, you tend to have magic being something that takes years to learn. If you were training up an army and had the choice between putting your troops through several years of expensive magic school or sending them for an afternoon of target practice, which would you go for?
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nswU1Z5-1o[/media]

This leaked video doesnt so much kill my interest as confirm my lack of interest. Generic MMO gotiem!

TES games are good because of the freedom. You can go where you want, build your character however you want, equip anything you want, steal whatever you want. Their fantasy worlds are not that compelling or original, but it all feels very tactile and freeform.

This is just a standard MMO with the least strong bit of the TES series (the setting) draped over it. Plus it looks butt ugly. No ta.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I didn't even take the time to watch it, I think we all knew what to expect. I'm amazed that they're still making it given the overwhelmingly non-interested responses from players and journalists.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Dog Pants wrote:I didn't even take the time to watch it, I think we all knew what to expect. I'm amazed that they're still making it given the overwhelmingly non-interested responses from players and journalists.
I guess its because people who know nothing about it other than the title will still be hugely excited by it.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Possibly, but day one purchases have never been a problem for MMOs, it's retention. Unless they make it cheap enough to make their money back straight away, in which case they risk destroying the TES brand.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

aaaand. free to play.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

This is my surprised face: :|

Might be worth a go now though. Some 5punkers kind of liked it didn't they?
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Has some apparent gash restrictions on the f2p bit. Not quite the TOR restrictions of you can't carry fuck all, or run, or use all the drops etc etc, but still a bit silly. Coming soon with re-brand to next gen consoles. Except they're this gen consoles, so not sure how that works.