The Secret World

Massively Mongy Online gaming. Bum your way through the internet public.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Re: The Secret World

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Joose wrote:I've got Netflix attached to my Facebook account (because it shows me in app what my Facebook friends are watching, which can sometimes be good for finding stuff to watch) and by default it posts whenever you watch anything. I set it to not do that. Problem solved.

Did you do this only recently? I'm asking because I've seen quite a few 'joose is watching _______ on netflix' posts on facebook, but none recently.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Joose wrote:
Because facebook is possibly evil
That's just saying "They are bad because they are bad".
selling your info to advertisers
Pah, advertisers are free to have my info. Its not like the adverts go away without it, at least this way there is an increased chance of the advert being relevant to my interests.

I'm not really being convinced this isn't an illogical gut reaction so far.
oops, I forgot to use sarcasm tags :)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I think I'm in a halfway position here. On the one hand I don't like as game demanding access to some very personal data (potentially, I actually put very little on FB), and mobile apps I've seen wanting to connect to Facebook ask to 'utilise your data while you're offline', which I feel is a huge and unnecessary invasion of privacy. I hate that this may start a precedent like that, because your options are let it rape your personal data or don't play. On the other hand, if all it wants to do is post shite, use my friends list to find other TSW players, and enable a social mini-game then it's not really a big deal. On that last count, though, we have another bad precedent - in order to get ahead in the game you need to play some awful Facebook game which involves spamming your friends with the kind of requests I block people for when they do it to me. So the whole thing makes me uncomfortable, but it isn't a game breaker just yet.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Mr. Johnson wrote:Did you do this only recently? I'm asking because I've seen quite a few 'joose is watching _______ on netflix' posts on facebook, but none recently.
Yeah, pretty recently. Only a couple of weeks back, iirc.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Waaaaaiiit a second...
spoodie wrote:Got an email today inviting me to the beta ...
email invite wrote:Please note that The Secret War uses Facebook to power its social networking features and fuel the battle for the power to control the world. A Facebook account is required in order to participate.
kthxbye
(emphasis mine)

The Secret War isn't the beta. The Secret War is a Facebook app to promote The Secret World. You are all getting worried because a Facebook app requires access to Facebook :lol:
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Ahhh. That makes more sense.

EDIT: Although it still has the potential to be a Facebook game which you need to play in order to get ahead in the proper game, which is still bad.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Joose wrote:The Secret War isn't the beta. The Secret War is a Facebook app to promote The Secret World. You are all getting worried because a Facebook app requires access to Facebook :lol:
It would help if I read the email rather than just click Play Now, I suppose. Opps. :oops:
Here's the rest in case you're curious:
The Secret War is a free-to-play, browser-based, online social experience inspired by the conflict between the secret societies Illuminati, Dragon and Templars in Funcom's upcoming modern-day massively multiplayer online game The Secret World.

Your mission in The Secret War is to spread the influence of your secret society throughout the world. By doing so you will not only defend your secret society’s honor and claim to power (not to mention speed up progress towards the Community Unlockable), you will also rise through their ranks and unlock great rewards that will benefit you in The Secret World MMO when it is released.

By participating you can unlock exclusive rewards such as:

Guaranteed access to The Secret World beta
An all-expense-paid trip to Montreal to meet the developers and play the game
Your name implemented into the game world in The Secret World
Tons of exclusive in-game items such as weapons, clothing, elixirs and more that can be used in The Secret World when it launches
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Joose wrote:So disable letting it post to your wall. I've got Netflix attached to my Facebook account (because it shows me in app what my Facebook friends are watching, which can sometimes be good for finding stuff to watch) and by default it posts whenever you watch anything. I set it to not do that. Problem solved.
But if I do that, what's the point of having it use Facebook at all? It's totally pointless unless you're going to use Facebook as a social interaction tool.

I'm not going to play the game anyways (I want my Dreamfall Chapters goddamnit. :x ), so this is purely academic for me.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

deject wrote:But if I do that, what's the point of having it use Facebook at all? It's totally pointless unless you're going to use Facebook as a social interaction tool.

I'm not going to play the game anyways (I want my Dreamfall Chapters goddamnit. :x ), so this is purely academic for me.
Yes, it would be pointless. Having a pointless feature included is hardly a reason not to get the game though. My point was that I don't understand why people find Facebook integration a reason to not get a game, the implication being that if it didn't integrate they would get it. Turning off the auto-posting essentially removes the bit of the integration that people have a problem with.

Actually, thinking about it, I disagree with your statement there too. Its not pointless. Take my Netflix example: I've set it so it doesn't auto-post, but its still telling me (in the Netflix app itself) what films/tv shows are popular with my Netflix using FB friends. The same sort of thing could work well in a game: let the thing auto-populate my in game friends list by looking of FB to see who of my friends on there also play the same game. That wouldn't need any of the posting on the wall bullshit that we don't want, whilst at the same time being really quite a useful feature. Hardly pointless.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I guess that has some value, but it could just as easily be done through other methods like using Steamworks or something like that.

I don't know, I guess what I really want to say is that I just hate Facebook because it's stupid now. Fuck that shit.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

I thought things with Facebook had settled down, with it just getting on with being a social tool, with all the general drivel and retardation moved on to Twitter? Twitter is certainly the site you hear mentioned much more day to day. I'm probably way off, I don't use either so my opinion is invalid.
Last edited by Thompy on April 27th, 2012, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Facebook stopped being cool when people who weren't attending universities were allowed in. After that happened it all went to shit and it hasn't gotten better.

Your Twitter experience is all in who you follow. I mostly use it for keeping up with news, friends, and a couple comedians who are hilarious.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Journos have been playing the beta:
PC Gamer wrote:The presence of lots of mobs with wide aggro areas makes exploration tricky: I want to uncover Kingsmouth’s dark corners, but I’m less interested in fighting the same three zombies over and over.
Interest now plummeting.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Dog Pants wrote:Journos have been playing the beta:
PC Gamer wrote:The presence of lots of mobs with wide aggro areas makes exploration tricky: I want to uncover Kingsmouth’s dark corners, but I’m less interested in fighting the same three zombies over and over.
Interest now plummeting.
MMO has tedious combat, news at 11.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Okay, fair point, it shouldn't have been a surprise. But there's been enough evidence that they're trying to shake up the formula that I was hoping for a change to that most irritating of MMO mechanics. SWTOR would have had a subscription from me for as long as it took me to complete at least one of the story arcs, and maybe by that point the end game content would have been worth staying for, but the game is tediously drawn out by the same method of putting in a population of monsters you have to fight between you and your objective. It's designed to slow people down so they subscribe for longer, but it just makes me bored so they get only the first month. And actually SWTOR isn't that bad for it, you can shimmy around some of the gribblies and not all the quests involve going from A to B, while this sounds like they've actually upped the monster density. Such a shame, not only because the game had such promising ideas, but also because I was hoping the genre was growing up.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Yeah it's a shame. I like the idea of lots of people all on one server doing stuff, but everything surrounding that concept is almost universally lame. SWTOR especially is really disappointing because they should have just made KOTOR 3 instead, and it would have been so much fucking better by the sounds of everything I've heard. Taking that story driven single player experience and trying to shoe-horn it into an MMO just seems weird.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

deject wrote:SWTOR especially is really disappointing because they should have just made KOTOR 3 instead, and it would have been so much fucking better by the sounds of everything I've heard. Taking that story driven single player experience and trying to shoe-horn it into an MMO just seems weird.
I dunno, i get what you mean apart from one thing: by far the best stories in the game are that of the smuggler and the imperial agent, and there is no way they would have made a single player KOTOR game that was focused on the tale of a largely unimportant random imperial dude. The fact that it's an MMO means they have to make content for all the classes, so they can put content in for something that would never shift single player copies.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Personally I'd rather be playing the story of some random dude rather than the all conquering hero of the universe, but I suspect I'm in a minority.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Dog Pants wrote:Personally I'd rather be playing the story of some random dude rather than the all conquering hero of the universe, but I suspect I'm in a minority.
:above:
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:Personally I'd rather be playing the story of some random dude rather than the all conquering hero of the universe, but I suspect I'm in a minority.
Exactly. I would to, but we are indeed the minority. If you are doing a big budget single player game, the sad truth of it is that you cant then aim at the minority.