This week, I be mostly playing

Massively Mongy Online gaming. Bum your way through the internet public.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Re: This week, I be mostly playing

Post by Anery »

Joose wrote:Ish. The basic way it works is that equipping any gear unlocks its "look". So if you want, say, an awesome belt with a skull on all you need to do is find any belt that uses the "belt with skull on" mesh and then you will be able to make any belt you have from then on look like a belt with a skull on. I think the idea is that everyone starts off looking like a grab bag mess of clothes and slowly becomes more like what they want to look like. Im not sure it quite works how they want it to though.
Aaah, thanks. I look like myself again. Do you still play Joose?

Saw a poster with this guy earlier

Now, I know I don't know DC that well but I DO have a passing knowledge of Marvel, and that looks like Speedball to me, hell it could even be Scott Scummers.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Nah, thats BOOSTER GOLD!™

Hilarious time travelling douchebag. He is a janitor from the future that stole a bunch of stuff from a "Superheroes of the Past" exhibit and used a time machine to come back to the present day and become an awesome hero! He is a bit of a tit, but in an amusing way. Gets lots of company sponsorships and does adverts and things. Almost accidentally broke the entire DC universe once.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

He's also used for microtransactions.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

So, first week is up and it's not been a bad start.

DCUO suprised me, in a pleasant way - not in that Crying Game kind of way. Sure there are problems, the UI is a bit in your face and requires some tweaking before it stops getting all in your face and calms down (Settings>UI>Screen Scale & Chat Font Size) and there is a definate sense of deja vu as you play but CoX isn't around anymore so I don't see that as too much of a problem.
The combat is an interesting beast, I havn't tried it on PS yet but I suspect it works rather better with a joypad than it does a mouse, it's combination of beat em up button mashing and standard MMO style skills is refreshing after so many EQ clones.
Travel powers are pretty groovy too, I only got chance to really try out the acrobatics but it felt involved. I upgraded to employ a grappling hook and now I'm swinging about like Spiderman (yes I know, wrong universe) and it feels more involved than just flying around in the sky. Travel powers can also be upgraded to be usable in combat - that grappling hook? Remember Scorpion from Mortal Kombat?...
Graphically we are not looking at Crysis here, it is CoX+ as far as that is concerned but its bright and brash and it won't make your eyes bleed.
Refreshingly the styling of your hero is pretty easy to change, you are not stuck with the same style all the time, you collect armour styles as you equip them and these can be selected at any time no matter what your armour actually looks like. No messing about with consumables and transmutations, just select the slot and select the style...simple (well, simple once Joose pointed it out to me)

So, what does F2P eliminate.
Weeeeeell...
You might find that some super powers are locked out as purchasable DLC (these include mission arcs and other stuff not just powers) I wanted to play as a Green Lantern but thats a 6 quid DLC pack. DLC packs also block you from really customising and using your "lair"to it's fullest, the base game teases but never really puts out in that regard.
There is a cap on how much money a character can have at any one time. This is a paltry $1500 with anything else going into Escrow, but this filters back into your main wallet as soon as you spend any. Downside is, if there are items out there costing $1501 you can't buy them.
Character slots are down to two, but all weapons and powers are unlockable on one character should you so wish so that this isn't much of a handicap. It stops you seeing all the mentors story lines but thats about it.

Should you play it?
If you liked CoX you will like this, there is enough different about this that you won't be bored and there is enough familiar that you won't be totally lost either. It is un-offensive, doesn't cry at you to return every day to renew whatever and it is easy to flit in and out of. The F2P version is pretty solid, no glaring paywalls in your face and no obvious P2W either. There is no good reason to not try it really.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Nice rundown. I'm not entirely convinced by the F2P aspect, still seems quite limiting, but on the other hand I don't think anyone should balk at paying less than the price of a month's sub to open up more of the game. Might be something for me to pick up for when I have a baby on one arm. I got through most of WoW that way.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I think DCUO does a good job of there being enough free content to satisfy if you are just casually dipping in every now and then. I don't think its unreasonable to expect you to pay at least something if you get more into it.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I'm continuing the super hero theme, jumping universe to play Marvel Heroes

I have to admit, I went into this one VERY biased. A quick look at the DLC page revealed that they lock out certain characters that can be unlocked for a fee, and that fee depends on how popular they are as a character - a cunts trick.
Launching the game I discover the horrible truth, I am faced with a number of heroes and asked to select one to play. These heroes are: Black Widow, Human Torch, Punisher, Cap, Hawkeye, Black Panther and I think his wife was on the list too (thats Storm)
Frank Castle calls to me in words of blood and vengeance...morals are for other people, thats what I always said.
Gameplay is that of an Action RPG, a Diablo for Supers...wait...I can't change character

...there is no option to change my hero...

...logging off and on just puts me back where I left Mr Punisher...

...I can't start over if I don't like this character...

...thats shit.

Now I realise why Black Widow and Hawkeye were listed as purchaseable characters. Once you are locked in you are locked in until you unlock another character. No trial, nothing...wankers.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

So not a recommendation then?
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:So not a recommendation then?
Even without that issue it would be shit. Its a fairly crappy Diablo clone. I cant think of anything to recommend about it and I am a massive Marvel fan. Its a confusing grindfest that you *need* to spend money to enjoy. Pah.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I'm willing to forgive a little bit of grind, my character feels powerful but not too much. It does play like I imagine earlier versions of Diablo were like (only ever played III but got bored of that and wandered off before finishing it)
Things that have annoyed me so far:

Being presented with walls of text dialogue, yes I am an intelligent person without any behavioural issues and I can read quite happily but it is getting in the way of gameplay and thus gets ignored - be succint and to the point.

Said dialogue is badly written.

Mission #2 has me fighting, and defeating, Norman fucking Osborne. The Green Goblin, cupcake of all cunts, the hairdo with the bad attitude toward world domination, he's the fucking super bad and I just waltzed in and shot him down before he could even escape prison.

Wandering around a map for aaaaages trying to work out where I was going, no indicator on the mini-mp.

No actual map. Sorry, are we the Avengers? with high tech genius Tony Stark? and Mr Fantastic? not to mention the technological might of those ball bags up at SHIELD, and we can't have GPS?

I'll find something good to say about it later. Hopefully
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Anery wrote:I'll find something good to say about it later. Hopefully
It uninstalls without leaving bloatware?
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Marvel Heroes

Don't
Just don't.
Like Joose I am a Marvel(ous) man, and I fucking hate this. You might enjoy it for about an hour, maybe two, but after that you will find yourself wondering what else you could be doing and then you will struggle to ever play it again.
It is a blatant cash in of the worst kind, sure you can unlock other characters with in game currency but the time required is too long. DeadPool would have taken 600 stuff to unlock, and I would be lucky if I got 4/5 during a mission.
Joose wrote:Its a fairly crappy Diablo clone.
It's a waste of bandwidth is what it is.

Nominations for this week? I obviously can't be trusted to choose.