The Old Republic

Massively Mongy Online gaming. Bum your way through the internet public.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Re: The Old Republic

Post by Anery »

There is a rumour that says SOE are negotiating with Lucas Arts to make another. Currently "Rise of the Republic"
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Hmm. I'd heard a rumour they were making a new single player game sort of like Shadows of the Empire, would be nice to have non Jedi/Sith Star Wars mmo though.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

buzzmong wrote: If you really want me to go down the single-player games route of games that did well without lightsabers: Rebel Assault(s), Dark horses I, the entire X-Wing/Tie fighter series of games, Shadows of the Empire etc....

I think it can be done, but those were good games, and I've no doubt the promise of a lightsaber could easily carry a mediocre or even bad game sales wise.
Granted, there are SW games sans light sabres that were good, but apart from Shadows of the Empire you have flight sims and Dark horses. Remind me what the sequel to Dark horses was?

Like you say, it *can* be done, but no matter how good your game is and how well it will sell, adding lightsabers = more money. Or at least, that's what I think the money men have come to believe, which is why all of those examples you cite are from the mid 90's. You can kind of see why they might think this too; Republic Commando was actually a really good game, but sales were bad enough that the planned sequel got canned. horse Unleashed on the other hand wasn't nearly as good, but sold like hotcakes.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I think the relative success of horse Unleashed Vs Republic Commando (which I didn't think was any good by the way) was due to marketing. But I think everyone's in agreement that games with lightsabres will make more money. Which is a shame, because the interesting bits about Star Wars have always been the mundane aspects.
Wifeyberk
Mushroom
Mushroom

Post by Wifeyberk »

This goes F2P next week. Up to level 50. Not as originally discussed level 15. Those who want to have exclusive access to all gameplay can, of course, pay the subscription fee and thus experience the game to the full extent.

Bioware Bollocks. It's F2P and worth it just for that and "the dance of Berks people".
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Not worth the bandwidth, in my opinion. If you could skip the bits between the story it would be, but as it stands it's a turd of a grindfest with kernels of diamond sweetcorn story for those who want to delve elbow deep in excrement to find it.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

I played a bit of this a couple nights ago, got to level 12-ish. I haven't experienced a huge gap in story progression so far, but I think that might be because it's just started. I'm weak and I will be playing this f2p despite the grind, I love star wars games too much.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

If I remember right you are about 3 levels away from super happy grind time.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Joose wrote:If I remember right you are about 3 levels away from super happy grind time.
I lost interest, or more precisely it's been stolen by tanks and dota2.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

*Casts Thread Necromancy*

I've recently actually started playing this game. Does anyone else still turn this one on ever?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Not me, but I'm delighted by my filthy mini-review of it further up this page. I don't think I'm as eloquent as that any more.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Occasionally.

I've not been in for a few months though. I did some decorating of my house.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Dog Pants wrote:Not me, but I'm delighted by my filthy mini-review of it further up this page. I don't think I'm as eloquent as that any more.
I'd not read that before, that's an excellent bit of prose there Pantsu!
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

oh hai 5punk. I randomly googled Xfire Friznit and the first return was me moaning about COD. Who knew. I can't even remember why I googled it now.

I appear to be playing this again. Probably cos I'm bored and waiting for Fallout 4 like everyone else.

I'll say hai in a more relevant thread.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

:wave: :stormtrooper:
Killavodka
Cheese Lord
Cheese Lord

Post by Killavodka »

I have also picked up this again very recently! I think the inspiration was Star Wars teaser trailers, my underwhelming response to the new Battlefront game and salivating for Fallout 4...
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I'm alternating between this and Wildstar at the moment. I sparked up a new bounty hunter and I'm enjoying it again. Not got as far as owning a spaceshit yet though.