Wars Of Guild 2

Massively Mongy Online gaming. Bum your way through the internet public.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Wars Of Guild 2

Post by Anery »

Not many played GW that much but I though I would post this little snippet from eurogamer. It appears on the GW2 website under the news archive, tis fairly interesting but doesn't give any kind of timeline. Was a bit shocked to discover that it had been two years since the announcement of a 2nd game but the trickle of information and interviews since the release of the trailer (http://www.guildwars2.com) has got me playing the game again trying to get achievements to carry over to the next game. Hopefully we wont be left waiting too long before some major announcements and a release date.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Too many mmongs right now. Most of them a bit shit and/or rushed out unfinished.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I don't think there are enough. We get a new one every six months or so, and everybody jumps on it regardless of whether they think it'll be any good, purely because they want a decent one to come out. Chimps is the perfect example. I bought it confident I wasn't going to get past the month subscription. I didn't even play it for a week. But I bought it anyway, because there's been nothing released since WAR, and nothing will be released for ages. Apart from that one Pnut's playing. At least GW2 has a decent pedigree, and if they somehow keep the free play model (fuck knows how they got that working in the first place) then it'll probably do well regardless.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Well I really like Chimps and I'm sticking with that, especially as I've paid for a lifetime subscription. Guild Wars 1 didn't grab me so I wont be bothering with this.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Sure they're not released at the same frequency or in the same amounts as fps or rts games but obviously they can't be given the time needed to produce. On the other hand the dev teams have more time to make more polished games, but a lot of the time they just don't.

There's star trek, star wars, aion, jumpgate evolution, stargate, secret world, 40k online, earthrise, next wow expansion and loads of free ones on the way. most of them will die, killed by wow. Isn't it better to have a few really good ones instead of lots of shit ones that hold attention for a week or a month?

I think everyone jumped on Chimps not because it was the latest release in a barren market, more it was expected to be COH2 and it isn't given the instancing.
Last edited by HereComesPete on September 24th, 2009, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

HereComesPete wrote:most of them will die, killed by wow.
And you're all complicit. I hope you're pleased with yourselves, murders!

I am, of course, entirely innocent.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I don't dislike Chimps, I just found myself with more interesting things to do.
TheJockGit
Boba Fett
Boba Fett

Post by TheJockGit »

I'm playing GW and I have to say the biggest hook is not paying £10 a month for the privilege. yes there are things that suck in GW if you are used to WoW, but there are things that are better, for one it doesn't feel as much of a grind levelling up.

The Five Punk Guild is still active for all you bummers who used to play, if you want to get in on the GW2 action (which I hear has implemented some bits that made WoW a success) then come back to the fold.

GW2 is shaping up to be something pretty special, and again there is no Monthly Sub... got to be a good thing in my book, but maybe thats because i am a tight fisted jock who doesn't like throwing away my money on a game I have already bought.. can be spent on much better things like Drink and fried mars bars...
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

I`ve got a copy of GW somewhere that I`ve not played it in ages, will see if i can find it
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

What are your character names in game? I will add you and see if we can't get up to some stupidity in game. I would join the guild but I already have my own (2 member woo! - me and the missus :lol: ) and I spent money on a guild hall and all that shit. Besides, my guild tag is SCat :P

EDITS: I should have put my own character name on there, Anery Protagonist
Last edited by Anery on September 29th, 2009, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
TheJockGit
Boba Fett
Boba Fett

Post by TheJockGit »

They call me Jock Git strangely enough....
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Interesting stuff in this months PCG about GW2.

- No quests. Player objectives will be along similar lines as the group quests from WAR, scalable from one player upwards, with the prompts and rewards happening organically rather than from a bloke with an exclamation mark over his head.
- Abilities based on weapon and skill selection. Similar to the original game, but different weapon types have different effects (stun from maces, burst damage from axes etc).
- Instanced personal areas. Things you do in your own instanced quest line will have persistent effects which other (grouped, presumably) players will be able to interact with.
- Sidekick system, a-la CoH. With a DA:O-esque instanced starting story system, this could be made even more interesting as you downgrade and help a buddy out on a starting story you'd have never normally seen.
- Area stories. Similar to Tabula Rasa's outposts or (again) WAR's group quests, expanded upon. Areas will have persistent conflicts ongoing regardless of player involvement, where you can help push the lines back and maybe even batter down the enemy into submission for a while. They're aiming to make the other side's events story-like too, rather than just resetting the area.
- No subscription fee. I don't know how, but they did it with the original.
- Skilling up is done by completing specific tasks. Rather than just finding a trainer and spending money on skills, you need to go out into the world and do things to acquire more skills. Since GW was more about getting new skills than levelling up, this could be significant.
- No PvP. They've stated they want everything to be about positive interaction and teamwork, building up good relations with other players. This worked will in WAR's group quests - you could silently work together with another player without having to actually speak to them and find out they were a tard, then carry on your way. They don't want it to be competitive.

It's sounding really good, and in this cynical age of new MMONGs where you have to read between the lines to see the real game, which turns out to be a bad Warcraft-a-like, I'm quite surprised that I'm struggling to draw comparisons. We all know that the next MMONG to be any good needs to depart from what the big W does (since Blizzard already have that formula tied down), and it looks like the GW2 devs have come to the same conclusion.

Also, since you'll be able to carry certain things over from the original game, the more I like the sound of GW2, the more I want to make the most of GW before it's released.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

This looks surprisingly interesting and may even encourage me to get back into the fantasy mmong thing.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Thumbs up, surprised about the no PVP though, I thought that was a massive draw for the original?
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

It all still sounds a bit alien to me, non-mmonger.
I'm very much willing to try it out though, as long as it isn't an incomprehensible WoW-clone.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

Grimmie wrote:Thumbs up, surprised about the no PVP though, I thought that was a massive draw for the original?
quite a big one from what i remember, it was put in as a seperate game mode from the campaign, along with the shitstorm of (i think cash prize) tournaments for ages

oh and i vaguely remember there being a mission that required you to do some kind of pvp 5v5 match to continue a fair bit into the game, possibly a couple of times
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

I know once you got to that massive ruined city, and every one in between, there was an arena where you could PvP with your campaign dude.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Wasn't it that in order to move from the starting zone to the game proper you needed to do a PvP arena style fight? Ascending? Something like that. I only remember doing it once and it wasn't such a big deal.
TheJockGit
Boba Fett
Boba Fett

Post by TheJockGit »

I really think GW2 is going to be a WoW killer, the Devs have listened extensively to the users and are looking to implement as much as they can into the system, plus they haven't been trickle feeding us all with "look what we've done" which I hope means they have been beavering away to make a game full of surprises.

I liked the original GW and still jump in now and then, the biggest draw back with it was the non persistent world, which apparently they have now solved.. so GW2!! Bring it on.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'd use the term 'WoW-killer' with caution - it takes more than some imaginitive game mechanics to draw people away from the biggest MMO in the world. However, it might prove to be the first mass market viable alternative if done correctly. Warcraft has Cataclysm coming out this year, but I think that will have died down to just the raiding players by the time GW2 comes out. A lot of people who play Warcraft would probably love to play a different game, but nothing else has the substance. It's tried and tested by a company who also listens to its players, and has had millions of them to gather the opinions of. If GW2 can launch in a decent playable state, with enough content to see players through until they start patching more in then it might be able to draw itself out of the mire of mediocrity where so many have failed. The lack of quests system might well fool people into thinking there's more content than there is, or it could go the other way. Either way, it's unlikely to have content to match the 6000 or so quests Warcraft will have by the end of the year.