Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Battlefield 1

Post by Dog Pants »

B1FF?

Anyway, it's in open beta and opinions vary but it seems to be pretty serviceable. It's certainly Battlefield.

Good bits:
It looks and sounds very WW1 (and very pretty).
The splodes are great.
Horses.
The beta is free.
No aircraft so far.
Tanks are quite fun.

Bad bits:
I'm not sold on buying unlocks with in-game cash - I bought the second LMG and it didn't feel as good as the Lewis.
Four classes feels restrictive to a new player, but hopefully that'll open up easily enough.
Bloody snipers everywhere (although they're not as effective as I first thought).

Current thought is that I'm not buying it on release, but mainly because it's £50 and fuck that. I'd pay £30, but I'll probably get it in a sale for £15 with the DLC in a year or so.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Re: Battlefield 1

Post by buzzmong »

Considering they've already announced various DLC and stuff, I'm going to avoid it. Might pick up a GOTEE edition, but narf, after seeng what happened with BF3 and 4, and the inevitable splitting of the servers when DLC maps come out, I'll wait until I get everything.

From what I've seen though, it looks more like a reskinned BF4, which means it's fairly frantic, which doens't match too well with my ideas of what a WWI theme should be.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Movement wise it is. You run fast and vault over scenery. But if you do that you'll get sniped. I found myself advancing cautiously then dashing to heavy cover before observing for fire before the next dash. I think I moved a lot less than in other BEEFs (and indeed most other games). The weapons don't lend themselves well to firing on the move either. However, that may be specific to the one map we can play at the moment, and the early weapon unlocks. I did die to a shotgun a few times, which was pretty mobile.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

There are aircraft on the conquest map, and they're actually quite fun. Slow moving, and the guns are fairly inaccurate - but it's a good balance to previous games (i'm sure that will be fixed at release to allow the traditional air-whoring).

As Pants says, movement is fast but I don't think shooting is. It certainly feels like a "proper" Battlefield rather than a fast paced shooter.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Last day for open beta is tomorrow, Tommy.